Fall Camp Updates - Quarterbacks

About Tennessee's defense, didn't they absolutely terrorize us with QB pressures thanks to their Top-10 DL draft pick?

If they're terrible, they nonetheless caused a serious, sustained, game-changing disruption to the opposing offense.

They had one guy who ate an injured Gate's lunch all day, and we did nothing to help him out.

Tennessee's D also got torched the last 3 games by Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt...

They got torched, most notably, by the run game.

• 3 weeks later...

There’s a roadmap for what Tristan Gebbia’s freshman season will look like at Nebraska. 

It was the same approach used a year ago by the Huskers with then-true freshman quarterback Patrick O’Brien: learn the offense, prepare to play, travel to road games, but likely redshirt. 

“Like we did last year with Patrick O’Brien, Tristan will be our number 3,” head coach Mike Riley said. “I suppose our goal would be that he redshirts, but he will be active in getting game-ready and practice, travel, all that part of that with this.”

Gebbia showed good command of the Husker offense in scrimmage work, and the Husker offensive staff has been high on his future at the position. Riley recalled a recent drive orchestrated by Gebbia during a 2-minute drill that caught the head coach’s attention. 

“I think the more I watch and learn over the years, kind of appreciated quarterbacking, one of the attributes I love the most is a guy who can hit his back foot, make a decision and get the ball out of his hands. A lot of problems disappear when you do that…Even our young guy the other day in our two-minute drill, Tristan Gebbia, had in our two-minute drill where our offense ended up scoring he might’ve had six throws in it, five complete. 

“The five that he completed, he hit his back foot, took a quick hitch or not at all, threw the ball and moved the team. They blitzed on the last play from the 20-yard-line, he hit a back quick before anybody could get there and scored a touchdown. It was really fun for me to see a freshman quarterback do that in a two-minute drill. That’s a picture of where quarterbacks make you feel good.”

• Plus1 1