Husker Chalk TalkConcept Wednesday: Slot Fade

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

But that stat on pulling guards is staggering.  For anyone who was upset about Langsdorf's play calling need to look no further than injuries and depth at OL to know why he was doing it the way he did

Absolutely. I've got a lot of optimism this season and a large part is my belief that the OL will be much improved.

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

But that stat on pulling guards is staggering.  For anyone who was upset about Langsdorf's play calling need to look no further than injuries and depth at OL to know why he was doing it the way he did

Maybe, maybe not.  It seems to be pretty plausible that it contributed.  But it's not like we had injuries the entire year.  They kind of came along and steadily got worse as the year went on.

Unless all 20 were in the first couple games, that seems like more of a convenient excuse than really looking at the game-by-game trend.  I tried to look for that but couldn't find it anywhere.

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Maybe, maybe not.  It seems to be pretty plausible that it contributed.  But it's not like we had injuries the entire year.  They kind of came along and steadily got worse as the year went on.

Unless all 20 were in the first couple games, that seems like more of a convenient excuse than really looking at the game-by-game trend.  I tried to look for that but couldn't find it anywhere.

Foster was hurt before the season started. Hahn and Utter weren't the most talented. My thinking is that the OL struggled pulling in fall camp and the coaches went away from it and never got back to it even when Foster returned due to more injuries. (I can't find when some of the other nagging injuries occurred but that's a likely source of not pulling as well.)

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Foster was hurt before the season started. Hahn and Utter weren't the most talented. My thinking is that the OL struggled pulling in fall camp and the coaches went away from it and never got back to it even when Foster returned due to more injuries. (I can't find when some of the other nagging injuries occurred but that's a likely source of not pulling as well.)

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  You're right.  Langsdorf knows nothing about calling the right plays at the right time with a 60% walk on starting OL.

• Plus1 2

We literally had injuries on the OL the entire year.  Foster was out almost the entire year, Farmer missed 2 games and played hurt, Knevel was in and out of the starting lineup due to injury, Gates played the last 4-5 games hurt.  

Or were you watching a different OL?

I would say that is going to affect an OC's ability to call certain plays if the guys he has are either too hurt or aren't good enough to run them.

• Plus1 2

You keep assuming he was going to call something else instead.  Possibly, but I don't think that's a given.

He has said we're an inside zone team.  I don't think that inside zone involves a lot of pulling.  More than we did last year?  Probably.  A significant difference?  Not sure about that.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

You keep assuming he was going to call something else instead.  Possibly, but I don't think that's a given.

He has said we're an inside zone team.  I don't think that inside zone involves a lot of pulling.  More than we did last year?  Probably.  A significant difference?  Not sure about that.

I would be willing to bet he would have called for pulling guards way more than 5% of the time if the OL was healthy

• Plus1 3