Nebraska Paying Arkansas State $1.65M

Mavric

The Nebraska payout to Arkansas State will not only be its largest for a nonconference football opponent, but also reportedly the biggest check cut by any Power Five program to a visitor over the first two weeks of the season.

Arkansas State is receiving $1.65 million for the Saturday night game, which will kick off at 7 p.m. and be televised by BTN. In coming seasons, Nebraska is under contract to pay $1.17 million to Akron for a visit in 2018 and $1.2 million to South Alabama in 2019.

According to the NU athletic department, the highest previous payouts to teams for Husker home games have been in the $1 million range, or slightly above, including Arkansas State's previous appearance at Memorial Stadium in 2012.

Nebraska isn't alone in shelling out big money to lure teams from non-Power Five schools, but USA Today reported Tuesday that the $1.65 million will be the largest amount for games this weekend and the following one. Next closest are Northwestern paying $1.3 million to Nevada and Auburn paying $1.3 million to Georgia Southern, also in games being played Saturday.

OWH

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Why? It's not like we don't have the money. And that $1.65 million is less than the gate, let alone the TV and in-stadium ads.

It's not about the money.  It's a no win, in my opinion.  If you pay them and beat them, you did what you're supposed to do.  If you pay them and lose, well.....

I'm just tired of P5 teams padding their schedules with the "needed" 7th home game.  I would rather P5 only play P5.

• Plus1 1
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

It's not about the money.  It's a no win, in my opinion.  If you pay them and beat them, you did what you're supposed to do.  If you pay them and lose, well.....

I'm just tired of P5 teams padding their schedules with the "needed" 7th home game.  I would rather P5 only play P5.

I'm ok with it. How else do you get epic upsets unless the mid-majors have a shot at the big boys?

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Fair enough.

Have you always been this curmudgeonly, or is it just me that you seem especially so this week?

Not normally.  I think it's the subject matter that has me off.

Lee B's article is bullsh#t

I'm just tired of P5 schools playing non P5schools

I can't stand the chair trophy argument

And I didn't like the Fox NU ad.

Just a bad week for me, I guess

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

If you haven't already, maybe stop by the alternative uniforms thread and give them a piece of your mind. ;)

Well, hopefully the big week 1 of college football and seeing the Huskers play will brighten next week.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

That chair is my heart and soul. It keeps me going through the rough days

• Plus1 4
11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

If you haven't already, maybe stop by the alternative uniforms thread and give them a piece of your mind. ;)

Well, hopefully the big week 1 of college football and seeing the Huskers play will brighten next week.

I gave up on the alternate uniform discussion.  It's my belief Adidas doesn't care.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/22/11648368/scheduling-cupcake-guarantee-games-cost

Here is a good aryicle to shed light on why teams schedule "cupcakes".

They make good points but if every team in a P5 conference were under the same rules to only play other P5 teams, then the potential financial losses of post season play would even out in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Bojowolf said:

Our AD has said we won't leave the house for a "guarantee" game for less than $1.5 million. If you want to do less, we'll do a home and home if we can figure out the details. 

Also, AD not a fan of neutral site games especially if we're giving up a true home game to do it.

I'd be willing to be it Arkansas St was a top 10 team and Jerry World offered your AD $5-6M to play like they do Michigan-Florida for the game, he would be a bigger fan of them.