Option

jbjake

15 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Okay, I can agree with that. I'm thinking, though, that it will start with a run-first mentality from a new coaching staff. These guys simply can't do it. Guys like Johnson, Calhoun, and maybe Frost could turn it around. 

On the other side of it, I would love Mike Leach in Lincoln. I know, I know, it contradicts everything I've been saying. However, it's more about system and identity, not throwing crap at the wall, which is what we've done for 14 years. Leach is a proven winner, and his system works everywhere. The air raid works with even marginal athletes. Either way, we need change, and fast.

You magnificent bastard. 

48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Bob Devaney ran a pro-style offense and won two National Championships at Nebraska.

Power Football isn't what Nebraska needs. We need GOOD football. The offense doesn't matter.

Absolute bull. He was completely a 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy, wanted to run it every play. It took Tom Osborne of all people to loosen him up and throw it every now and then.

19 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I think the point we're both trying to get at is that we want smart, well-executed football. We might just differ at how we want that football to look, which is fine. As long as we win, I don't care what it looks like. 

I agree, but we're going to struggle trying to run an offense where we have to recruit against the likes of USC for Johnny Golden Arm. They get Sam Darnold, and we end up with Tanner Lee, not to mention the competition for those big receivers they have. Whether it's Mike Leach or Troy Calhoun, we need someone that knows what they're looking at, and has a system to methodically move the ball. Would you agree that we really don't have that now? Because it seems to me they have a dart board up in the OC booth and they just pick whatever play a random dart hits.

12 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Power football.  Option.  Spread option.  You can do all of it if you have an O-line and receivers.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Bob Devaney ran a pro-style offense and won two National Championships at Nebraska.

Power Football isn't what Nebraska needs. We need GOOD football. The offense doesn't matter.

Preach. Preach preach preach preach preach.

As a fan base, we need stop thinking in terms of what scheme is going to bring the program back to prominence. I personally believe the offensive style Nebraska is working with right now is a winnable style, but it doesn't matter if your offensive line is playing poorly, your receivers are dropping passes and your QB is regressing substantially game to game.

As a side note: Mike Leach will not and should not ever come to Nebraska. He's a career .600 coach (which is pretty good, but not what I would consider substantially better than Riley) and he's accomplished that on a career SOS weaker than Riley's, according to College Football Reference. Furthermore, his personality is bombastic and does not in any way seem like a fit for this state and its people. I don't believe he'd be well-liked or that his personality would do him any favors should he not immediately be a success.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I agree, but we're going to struggle trying to run an offense where we have to recruit against the likes of USC for Johnny Golden Arm. They get Sam Darnold, and we end up with Tanner Lee, not to mention the competition for those big receivers they have. Whether it's Mike Leach or Troy Calhoun, we need someone that knows what they're looking at, and has a system to methodically move the ball. Would you agree that we really don't have that now? Because it seems to me they have a dart board up in the OC booth and they just pick whatever play a random dart hits.

We honestly don't need Sam Darnold, or big receivers; we need a system and coaches that can develop the players they recruit. There's a 4* QB just across the river in CB. Missouri is right next to us, and is ripe with talent. Trace McSorley was a 3 star recruit. I don't care if you run Stanford's power O, Oregon's spread, Bama's pro style or OU's Air Raid, just recruit, teach and coach your players to make plays. 

Just now, Cdog923 said:

We honestly don't need Sam Darnold, or big receivers; we need a system and coaches that can develop the players they recruit. There's a 4* QB just across the river in CB. Missouri is right next to us, and is ripe with talent. Trace McSorley was a 3 star recruit. I don't care if you run Stanford's power O, Oregon's spread, Bama's pro style or OU's Air Raid, just recruit, teach and coach your players to make plays. 

I completely agree. Well, with everything but pro-style. I think 14 years of futility have proven that current pro-style just ain't gonna get it done in Lincoln. I used to be completely all about the flex, split-back veer or the Oz-bone, but then I read an interesting book. It's called The Perfect Pass, by S.C. Gwynne. It really opened my eyes as far as how Hal Mumme and Mike Leach came up with a passing system that completely changed the game. If you haven't already, check it out.

• Plus1 1