Option

jbjake

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

tenor.gif

I really don't give a crap how many national champions in the last 20 years were heavy option teams. Doesn't matter. Know why? Because we aren't even in the same galaxy when it comes to competing for conference titles, much less national titles. I believe a strong option offense would at least get us back in the conversation. What we're doing now certainly isn't working, I'm sure you can agree on that.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Why don't you answer some of my questions? Do you want to stick with this mamby-pamby 3+ interceptions lose to a Mac school offense?

Because you aren't asking the right questions. Instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater (which, let's be honest, would probably be intercepted at this point in time), you should be asking where we can find an offensive line and someone that can coach them. Regardless of scheme, you aren't winning with the garbage out on the field right now. 

• Plus1 3

A run first offensive identity, with an emphasis on power where the QB is a threat to both run and pass, with a healthy amount of option sprinkled in, is the way we need to go, IMHO.

Imagine Stanford, Michigan, or Wisconsin's offense if paired with a dual-threat QB with sufficient passing and running abilities, where option plays (be it zone read or under center out of I-formation, whatever) constituted a healthy portion of the offense.

The best example that comes to mind for me is Wisconsin's offense when Russell Wilson was there.  I realize Wilson is an elite QB, but just using that for reference of the sort of style I think would suit us best.

Granted they've only played 2 games, but D.J. Durkin's offense at Maryland so far this year has looked very much like the kind of offense I think would suit us and do well here.

Regardless of scheme, the O-Line play needs to be physical, mean, and nasty.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Because you aren't asking the right questions. Instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater (which, let's be honest, would probably be intercepted at this point in time), you should be asking where we can find an offensive line and someone that can coach them. Regardless of scheme, you aren't winning with the garbage out on the field right now. 

Okay, I can agree with that. I'm thinking, though, that it will start with a run-first mentality from a new coaching staff. These guys simply can't do it. Guys like Johnson, Calhoun, and maybe Frost could turn it around. 

On the other side of it, I would love Mike Leach in Lincoln. I know, I know, it contradicts everything I've been saying. However, it's more about system and identity, not throwing crap at the wall, which is what we've done for 14 years. Leach is a proven winner, and his system works everywhere. The air raid works with even marginal athletes. Either way, we need change, and fast.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Georgia Tech averages 7-8 wins a year and 5 losses running the triple option and have finished ranked 3 out of 9 years. They are 2 years removed from a 3-9 (1-7) season.  That's what we are aiming for now?

We have advantages that GT doesn't have. I also seriously doubt we lose to a Mac school running the ball like they do.

12 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Okay, I can agree with that. I'm thinking, though, that it will start with a run-first mentality from a new coaching staff. These guys simply can't do it. Guys like Johnson, Calhoun, and maybe Frost could turn it around. 

On the other side of it, I would love Mike Leach in Lincoln. I know, I know, it contradicts everything I've been saying. However, it's more about system and identity, not throwing crap at the wall, which is what we've done for 14 years. Leach is a proven winner, and his system works everywhere. The air raid works with even marginal athletes. Either way, we need change, and fast.

I'm no expert on Leach, but it looks like his passing offense was never better than #12 at TT and just average at Wash St. I don't see him being any better than Pelini.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Leach_(American_football_coach)#Kentucky

Not saying he's bad, just not our style and no more guarantee than any of the others mentioned.

If Frost comes here, isn't the offense he runs a version of the spread offense?  Lots of option in many spread offenses.

Heck Urban Meyer had a lot of option in his spread originally.  I was in Gainesville watching some of his first games with Chris Leak and he was running some option with Leak (and Leak could throw the ball like it was on a rope).

I'd be good with some spread + option...

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, neepster said:

If Frost comes here, isn't the offense he runs a version of the spread offense?  Lots of option in many spread offenses.

Heck Urban Meyer had a lot of option in his spread originally.  I was in Gainesville watching some of his first games with Chris Leak and he was running some option with Leak (and Leak could throw the ball like it was on a rope).

I'd be good with some spread + option...

Yes, Frost runs a power spread option.  It is awesome.

• Plus1 1