Just watched replay

mwj98

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Now, the play calling needs to improve.  We have seen plays that are in the play book that would all be a big part of being successful.  They just need to be called in a smarter sequence and in better situations.....and, the O line has got to get the job done.

Agreed there. When something isn't working in the first quarter, it needs to be dumped by the second quarter. It's taking Langsdorf too long to adjust. We really could have lost to Rutgers if Langsdorf had waited any longer to move away from allowing Lee to throw the ball where reading down-field was involved.

The Northern Illinois game was almost a low point of its own kind. Our effort and productivity on offense was so much more pathetic than I could have ever imagined seeing this season against any opponent, let alone against Northern Illinois.

Hopefully Riley and Langsdorf will put some pieces together tomorrow night, centering around what has worked well. I hope they review the Oregon footage because really, the 35 points we put up on the board in that game was decent. But if Lee is struggling in the first quarter tomorrow night, hopefully Danny adjusts quicker.

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think Nebraska can win with aggressive offensive strategies because of Lee's turnover problems and the line's inconsistency. 

I wouldn't know. Can't recall the last time I saw so much max protect at the D1 level in non-conference play, and the running plays rarely leave the tackle box.

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

I wouldn't know. Can't recall the last time I saw so much max protect at the D1 level in non-conference play, and the running plays rarely leave the tackle box.

That's the tough part - they haven't look consistently good doing anything, really: the screen game, the run game, jet sweeps, you name it.

28 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That's the tough part - they haven't look consistently good doing anything, really: the screen game, the run game, jet sweeps, you name it.

There's not a crispness to anything on the offense. The timing is always a little off, movements are clunky.  It's a practice thing, obviously, but I don't know what they're doing in practice. You see it in the substitution patterns, too, only certain plays run with certain guys. I don't get it, tbh.