List of college football teams by weekly appearances atop AP Poll

Quick backstory. Got in an argument with an Iowa fan who says Nebraska just needs to get over the fact that we'll never be as good as we were in the 90s.

The AP poll originated in 1936. There have been 1130 weeks of rankings.

Nebraska ranks 7th most times appeared as #1 in the AP poll, or 6% of the time. Ranks 1-6 have all been rank 1 at least once in the last 5 years. Nebraska hasn't had the pleasure since 2000.

[Source]

This is a telling statistic of our despair. 

• Plus1 1

Wow, Iowa fan.  What a curious breed.  They've never been a national power so they have to tell Nebraska fan they won't ever again reach that level.  It's a sad little cult like coping method of theirs.

These type of people are everywhere, those that want you to wallow in misery forever and then when you have something good happen they turn into the "Must be rough" or the "Woe is me I wish I could" crowd.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Quick backstory. Got in an argument with an Iowa fan who says Nebraska just needs to get over the fact that we'll never be as good as we were in the 90s.

The AP poll originated in 1936. There have been 1130 weeks of rankings.

Nebraska ranks 7th most times appeared as #1 in the AP poll, or 6% of the time. Ranks 1-6 have all been rank 1 at least once in the last 5 years. Nebraska hasn't had the pleasure since 2000.

[Source]

This is a telling statistic of our despair. 

I think what he's saying is, we aren't very good now, and we haven't been for quite awhile.

It's upsetting but it's true.

Also he's implying to accept it and quit bringing up 20 years ago and beyond for a counter argument.

We have been average. We have had our ups and downs. We have even sucked in games. 

It's true, it doesn't feel good, but it is what it is and has been since the late 90s. 

Where the hell is our humility during this period??!

Unless we need to dominate KU and clap after the game, things have changed on the field. And conversely as fanatics, have we?

Do some fans get it now? Sure, we were great at blowing out teams. Pride, Ego and High fives all around. Team fans bowed to us while we politely smiled.

And then the times changed over the years on the playing field, and we can't seem to be understanding as die hard fans in the moment anymore, win or lose. We can't figure how to handle it year after year, so we point to the past to feel better. But Why?

It stinks. He's kinda right, and that's my take. We gotta be better fans, and better on the playing field. Then we will earn some well deserved respect.