Question about coaching staff...

A few years ago it was rumored that Houston Nutt was coming here as the next coach.

My question is:

Would you take Houton Nutt over the current coaching situation?

If you had to chose between Houston Nutt and Butch Davis (rumored to be the next

Arkansas coach if H. Nutt is fired)...Who would you chose to coach at Nebraska.

Thanks for your help. You are helping me settle and argument with a friend.

Between Houston Nutt and Butch Davis? If I had to choose one, without a doubt, it would be Butch Davis, he's already proven he can win at the college level with Miami. Nutt had one good year when Matt Jones was the quarterback and, to me, is still unproven. Although he did use us as collateral to get a fat contract f/ Arkansas a few years back.

Butch and Nutts just does not sound right together.

I believe we have one of the best coaches in the country. I like his fire and love is ability to be politically incorrect!!!! Reminds me of Mr Devany.

I think BC is here to stay no matter what trolls come out to raise the dead. We really got better than we could have hoped for and in the next few years all will feel the same.

Living in Arkansas, I think I can give a pretty good evaluation...

In Nutt's first three or four years, he actually did pretty well. Won the Western Division at least once, and at one time had Arkansas in the top 10 for a season.

Having said that, he did it using players recruited and coached by previous staffs...

Since then, Arkansas has been mired in mediocroty or worse. The year Nutt was under consideration for the NU post, he had a pretty good year - beat Texas in Austin and beat Mizzou in a bowl game. But as noted, that was primarily due to Jones.

If folks think Steve P. is a used car salesman, they ought to get a load of Nutt. For all the acclaim he's received as a recruiter, the staff routinely bring in below-average classes. This year was an exception, and only because the four members of the "Springdale Five" (which included Mitch Mustain and Damien Williams) signed. And they signed only after their high school coach was brought in as offensive coordinator - originally, only two committed, and of those two, Mustain retracted his committment for a time. For those that are not familiar with Arkansas geography, Springdale is a whopping five minutes from the Fayetteville campus. Yet Nutt and staff couldn't get committments from those kids until he brought in their high school coach.

What's worse, he routinely builds his staff with mostly second-raters, which means players rarely improve. When Arkansas was actually something of a power - in the 60s and early 70s - then-coach Frank Broyles hired assistants that were dying to be head coaches. We're talking about guys like Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and the like. Even under Holtz, the coaches were folks who were proven - for a time, Monte Kiffen was the Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers coach.

Nutt doesn't do that. He has three or four guys that have been with him most of his career. They want to move on to head coaching positions, but nobody will consider them - and guess why? This year, Nutt hired his first assistant with NFL experience...

Butch Davis over Nutt is a no-brainer. Callahan over Nutt? Well, all I can say is thank God Nutt declined/Pederson never offered (which ever it was). Nutt would have made Solich at his worst look great.

like my grandma used to say, "god closes a door, and then he opens a window."

was nutt the first choice? dunno. was callahan just a incredibly convienent hire at the time? maybe.

do i feel good about this upcoming season? oh, hellyah!

I don't know about anyone else but when it was rumored that Nutt was in line for the job here I was pissed.  He hasn't proven anything, and that wouldn't have moved the program forward.

Happy with Cally

Uglyuncle = Arkansas fan wondering what Huskers think? only one post so far so there's not a lot to go on.

just out of curiosity. and, if you don't mind, what is the argument with the friend? does he think Nebraska wishes they had hired Nutt or is that your argument...?

anyway,

I don't know about anyone else but when it was rumored that Nutt was in line for the job here I was pissed. He hasn't proven anything, and that wouldn't have moved the program forward.

Personally i wasn't so much "pissed" as i was worried and depressed. after pretty decent names popping up as candidates, that was what we were reduced to?! Houston Nutt?!

I'm not a Pederson basher but i do wonder what the h#ll he was thinking even considering Nutt in the first place. Keeping Solich and that staff would have been a better alternative. even Pelini, who was completely wrong for the job, would have been a better hire than Nutt. even if only b/c the players worshipped BoPeep at the time.

FWIW Uncle, I recall the message boards i frequented at the time were all pretty angry about Nutt even being a candidate. it was such a relief when that whole thing fell through.