What did we learn?....Penn State

Saunders

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

Not the best example since it took Penn State 5 years of going 8-4, 7-5, 7-6, 7-6, then finally going 11-3. 

It's a near miracle they were able to have those early records with the loss of scholarships, no possibility of bowls, and the general venom spewed towards a bunch of kids who had absolutely nothing to do with the most unspeakable scandal in college sports history. The scandal will not and should not go away, but they are all on the same page in how they hire staff and market their programs. Even their basketball team is getting better with legit prospects and a good coach. 

Teams-any team, no matter how pathetic-hangin` half a hundred on us is the new normal I guess. Thing is, we have some excellent players on that side of the ball.  The wack job Fiasco must have them completely confused.  Well, the 1st time I heard him speak at a presser I knew he was an incoherent idiot.

Only a week more of this crapola and the bozos will be sent packin` and we can all break out our Frosty Mugs!

Edited by Big Red Commie
2 hours ago, funhusker said:

I tuned in for the same reason.  The first 10 minutes had me captivated.  I was out hanging Christmas lights before halftime.....

If it wasn't my son's first game next week, I wouldn't waste my time going.  I would much rather spend the day with my parents.

Didnt watch.  What was the score at half?  How many picks(6s)?

If Penn State had left their starters on the field and they actually wanted to try, they could have possibly hit triple figures on the scoreboard.  

When you hire a new coach, by the third year you should be seeing better results than the year he was hired, we are not.  

Scott Frost is "N".

1,041: Nebraska has been outrushed by that many yards this season. Think about that. Opponents have 2,264 rushing yards. NU has 1,223.

That stat just smacks you in the face, doesn’t it? Nebraska’s a running program. It’s what Midwestern teams do. And Nebraska can’t. That’s like a breakfast joint that can’t make crispy bacon. Heck, in 2005 — when the Huskers averaged 96 rushing yards per game — they allowed 124.2 rushing yards per game, and were outgained by 339 yards that season. Nebraska was outrushed by 1,053 yards in 2007.

3,830: In 1997, Nebraska outrushed its opponents by that many yards. Let that sink in. The Huskers gained 4,711 rushing yards that season and gave up 881. Takes your breath away, doesn’t it? Heck, even in 2012, when the Huskers had a hideous run defense, NU still ran for 852 more yards than its opponents.

OWH

• Plus1 2

Just now, zoogs said:

I think "Riley would have had three losing seasons if the team didn't rally around Sam Foltz's death" ranks high among the most unbelievably bad narratives I've seen here.

You can be down on Riley, but damn.

It's the outlier season.  I'm not saying it's right, but it's crossed my mind.

If you'd like to see a lot of bad narratives, may I suggest the "Mike Riley Hired As Nebraska Coach" thread.

• Plus1 3

For context, 22.72 points per GAME would still only rank #40 in the country.

250: First-half points allowed by Bob Diaco’s defense. That’s 22.72 points per first half this season. NU’s defense is perpetually unprepared at the game’s start. It’s like all of the pregame film work and planning goes for naught. Nebraska is best in the third quarter, when it has allowed 44 points, and scored 89 points. That means Diaco’s halftime adjustments, to some degree, are working. Why didn’t he or Riley at least consider moving Diaco to the field to make those adjustments earlier?

OWH

I can't fathom having so much contempt for Riley as to try to go there to add to the list of negative football outcomes in his tenure / throw asterisks at any relative positives. 

I'm as eager for the Frost era as anybody, but the current festivities are ... not for me, I guess.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, zoogs said:

I can't fathom having so much contempt for Riley as to try to go there to add to the list of negative football outcomes in his tenure / throw asterisks at any relative positives. 

I'm as eager for the Frost era as anybody, but the current festivities are ... not for me, I guess.

No need to add to the list.  He's done well enough creating it by himself.