What did we learn?....Penn State

Saunders

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's the outlier season

It actually isn't. 2015 and 2016 are very similar in terms of performance metrics. Close losses in 2015 were wins in 2016, but the teams performed very similarly. 

Using pythagorean win expectations:

2015 expected record was 8-5 (6-7)

2016 expected record was 7-6 (9-4)

Two wins off each year, in opposite directions. A pretty significant number for this metric. It suggests Nebraska was "unlucky" in 2015 and "lucky" in 2016. Note that pythagorean win expectation is solely based on points scored and points allowed.

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, brophog said:

It actually isn't. 2015 and 2016 are very similar in terms of performance metrics. Close losses in 2015 were wins in 2016, but the teams performed very similarly. 

Using pythagorean win expectations:

2015 expected record was 8-5 (6-7)

2016 expected record was 7-6 (9-4)

Two wins off each year, in opposite directions. A pretty significant number for this metric. It suggests Nebraska was "unlucky" in 2015 and "lucky" in 2016. Note that pythagorean win expectation is solely based on points scored and points allowed.

Yeah, I was talking about actual win totals.  There are a lot of analytics that show that 2015 and 2016 were pretty similar.  I think Sagarin and Football Outsiders show they were pretty even as well.  And that’s also what I was getting at in my original comment.  We really weren’t any better of a team in 2016, we just managed to get a couple close wins that we didn’t get in 2015 or this year.  Maybe it was just dumb luck.  Maybe there was something else.

What’s the didn’t you show the Pythagorean expectation for this year was right at four?  According to that iw’s a constant decline under Riley.

• Plus1 1

I learned it is more enjoyable doing honey dos for my wife than watching this poor NU team play.  I did not watch the game nor did I have a desire to do so.  My only amazement was the final score and the mercy PSU had on us by not running up the score.  I still cannot fathom the different directions both programs have taken.  Bring on SF and :restore2

1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

+1 for sanity.

I can't fathom the contempt either. It's not like Riley came in and purposely face planted the program. He came in, did his best (imo) and failed. We all fail at things in our lives so why have contempt and hatred for someone else who has failed? Makes no sense to me.

I do not have any contempt for Riley.  I realize those who have been more inclined to support Riley don't really want to believe how bad things have been with him.  But that doesn't mean those who mainly point out negative things have contempt for him.  There's just a lot more of those things to point out than otherwise.

• Plus1 4
23 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Did anyone else go to the game??

I was surprised at a couple things.

1) The fans were so nice. Didn't think they would be Wisconsin, but many went out of their way to welcome anyone in red. .

2) Beaver Stadium is a dump. It looks like it is perpetually under construction

That is good to hear.  Back in 2002 it was not as pleasant. Record crowd, Incognito got tossed for fighting and we got blown out 40-7.  There was plenty of taunting and fighting words at the away team fan, though more at other people wearing read than me.  One of the few benefits on being 6'6 and 285.  Since then that dump in central Penn is not my favorite place.   

58 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

That is good to hear.  Back in 2002 it was not as pleasant. Record crowd, Incognito got tossed for fighting and we got blown out 40-7.  There was plenty of taunting and fighting words at the away team fan, though more at other people wearing read than me.  One of the few benefits on being 6'6 and 285.  Since then that dump in central Penn is not my favorite place.   

They seriously couldn't have been nicer. Likely had to do with the weather, less students on campus, and the state of the Huskers. But the stadium.....it looks like someone left up scaffolding. Strange concourses, surrounded by mud. About as much character as the handicap ramp outside of a community health center. 

The Creamery is awesome, though.