Pick 6 Podcast

Who all listens to the Pick 6 Podcast from the World Herald?  Heady, Bland, and Mckewon had a very nice chat about Riley, definitely worth a listen to. 

Was Riley a good fit?  Off the field I'd say he's a great fit, but you are ultimately judged for what you do on the field and he just has not worked out.  It's a needed change, but I will always respect what Riley did for Nebraska off the field (especially after Foltz).

They also brought up something that I find most annoying about Nebraska fans, the elitism of the fanbase for rivals.  Yes it takes history to create a rival, but the actions of our fanbase and Eichorst's comments when he fired Pelini has made Iowa mad and wanting to beat us 40-10 in every game.

They also talked about the general fanbase being resistant to change.  It will take you a while to find someone who was unhappy with our move to the Big 10.  The writing was on the wall for the Big 12 to fall apart within a year and Perlman and Osborne were smart to get out when the getting was good.  But the flip side is true in that fans see themselves as better than the teams we are going to be playing every year for the foreseeable future.  We had rivals in the Big XII that were there for a long time.  Even though we beat up on them a lot, there was still an annoyance with some teams and just the overall history with the schools.  We left all of that behind, and we need to leave it behind.  Is 6 years long enough to develop those same types of rivalry?  Hell no, but the way the fanbase is it feels like they don't want to develop anything with the Big 10 schools besides the ones we feel are our equals (Michigan, OSU, PSU, even Wisconsin).  There were missteps in announcing the Heroes Game with Iowa, in announcing a trophy game with Wisconsin, but we now have a fun official/unofficial trophy with Minnesota. 

Bottom line is that we are now in a new conference.  We need new rivals, so open your hearts to hate and start trying to really hate Iowa.  Forget about the trophy because I really want our team to beat Iowa to send off Riley.  I want to beat Iowa, because screw Iowa and their terrible coach contract.  Also screw Wisconsin.  I'm sick of getting our teeth kicked in by them.  Screw Minnesota, I want the broken chair trophy to stay in Nebraska 24/7/365 and it only leaves when we play at Minnesota.

Didnt now about the podcast but will check it out.

To your point of having elitism - i was actually surprised there wasn't more outrage about Eichorst's shots at Iowa.  I thought that was unprofessional at best, "dangerous" at worst.

So glad he is gone now, and likewise to the former (full time) AD -- who didnt want us gravitating toward mediocrity.  He got his wish, we didn't gravitate toward it, we nose dove right into it and hit bottom in record time because of the dominoes he started in motion.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I listen to every podcast they put out. I actually like the local media that covers the Huskers, so I am a minority on here. 

I'd say that overall the local media does a good job covering the Huskers.  Sometimes their pieces are a little off (everyone remembers the Martinez hit piece by Chatelain), but they also have great personal pieces.  Heady wrote a great piece on Stan the Man this week that everyone should read.

3 hours ago, bisonwiches said:

On par with DocTalk? I just love hearing a dude as educated and well spoken start to slip into buzzer territory.

I'm sorry but I don't listen to DocTalk so I'm uncertain as to the  comparability between the two.

Mckewon is very passionate about Nebraska football and has enough understanding of the game to provide good insights of the product on the field.  He was at Nebraska covering the team at some point in the 90s (pretty sure it was during the run or maybe right after).  He's also been covering the team since then at various papers.  The other two guys are new writers that were hired to cover the team this year for the World Herald.  Heady covered the team for Land of 10 at the very least last year and Bland worked in Iowa.  Mckewon can be ranty at times, but he generally has good points.