Nebrasketball Game #15- Stetson (Friday, December 29- 7:00pm- BTN+)

12 hours ago, teachercd said:

My thoughts:

You always take the NCAA, always.  Here me out...Winning one game in the NCAA is better than winning the NIT...winning two games at NU in the NCAA and you are a legend.

The practice thing is a bit over-hyped.  This isn't football where practice is hard to do...basketball practice is easy to set up, year round without the coaches being there.

For basketball at this level, you are correct, as far as getting "extra" time being a factor... it won't make much difference at all. Jordy would have to work on his game every day for years to make up for what he missed as a kid. In the short time NU has him, he won't get much better.

Edited by Bornhusker

18 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

For basketball at this level, you are correct, as far as getting "extra" time being a factor... it won't make much difference at all. Jordy would have to work on his game every day for years to make up for what he missed as a kid. In the short time NU has him, he won't get much better.

I disagree with your last part.

Remember how bad Tai was his first two seasons.

Jordy needs to focus on getting really good in a few areas and help the team where he can. 

His size alone gives him a chance. Remember Andre Almeida. He basically had two left feet but his size and mean streak gave him a chance. We need to find a way to get Jordy to play a bit mean but still not over the top.

Miles so badly wanted a true 5 and when he got Jordy he hasnt been able to truly use him or help him progress. Pitchford was truly what we need. A guy who can stretch the court but still add height.

Get me a few kids who can get proper positioning down low and rebound... Not as worried about the offense.

8 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I disagree with your last part.

Remember how bad Tai was his first two seasons.

Jordy needs to focus on getting really good in a few areas and help the team where he can. 

His size alone gives him a chance. Remember Andre Almeida. He basically had two left feet but his size and mean streak gave him a chance. We need to find a way to get Jordy to play a bit mean but still not over the top.

Miles so badly wanted a true 5 and when he got Jordy he hasnt been able to truly use him or help him progress. Pitchford was truly what we need. A guy who can stretch the court but still add height.

Get me a few kids who can get proper positioning down low and rebound... Not as worried about the offense.

Well, Tai and Jordy are totally different, skill level wise, at Tai's early years. It is VERY hard to first start playing basketball at such a mature age.. you can still learn obviously, but you have to have the ability to make up for that lost time. Tai had way more ability, just made dumb decisions. Jordy is lacking in both areas... Right now, he has his size, and that is it.

Tai was soo timid it really hurt his game, a bunch, but once he was able to come out of that shell he gained confidence and flourished!

just my opinion

Edited by Bornhusker
5 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

Well, Tai and Jordy are totally different, skill level wise, at Tai's early years. It is VERY hard to first start playing basketball at such a mature age.. you can still learn obviously, but you have to have the ability to make up for that lost time. Tai had way more ability, just made dumb decisions. Jordy is lacking in both areas... Right now, he has his size, and that is it.

Tai was soo timid it really hurt his game, a bunch, but once he was able to come out of that shell he gained confidence and flourished!

just my opinion

My point wasnt to compare their skills or talent but the fact that players can flourish once they find their "niche".

Jordy has shown some flashes of skill, he is just a bit unbalanced and awkward... but again, we dont need him to be a ballet dancer out there, use your size intelligently to move guys, and get higher percentage shots and rebounds.

I think when its all said and done Jordy will be a serviceable player for us.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

My point wasnt to compare their skills or talent but the fact that players can flourish once they find their "niche".

Jordy has shown some flashes of skill, he is just a bit unbalanced and awkward... but again, we dont need him to be a ballet dancer out there, use your size intelligently to move guys, and get higher percentage shots and rebounds.

I think when its all said and done Jordy will be a serviceable player for us.

Well, skill level is just a tad important, but your point is valid for sure.

I agree that I'd rather see them in the NCAA's.  But I think that what Jordy lacks - mostly good footwork, is something that he will only get in practice with coaches around.  Once the season is done, the only person he will have to practice against who has similar size is Tanner Borchardt.  As much as I like Tanner, I don't think going one on one in a player organized practice will do Jordy much good.  They won't stand back and watch his footwork (or lack thereof) and help him like coaches will.  He seems to have a soft shooting touch, but because of horrible footwork takes way too many off balance shots.  I also think that Nana & Thor would be better with more practice time.  They can both shoot the ball and Nana can jump out of the building, but both have issues on the defensive end, which doesn't get better in pick up games or player organized practices.

As great as it would be to make the NCAA's this year I don't want this to be a one year thing.  I think getting some of the younger players practice time would be helpful and put the Huskers in position to be in the NCAA conversation every year.  Making the dance like 13/14 and then not getting to .500 the next three years isn't something anyone wants to repeat.

47 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

Well, skill level is just a tad important, but your point is valid for sure.

See, I think he has some skills or at least ability to grow them... He is a bit unbalanced, but are you telling me he is less athletic than an Andre Almeida?

We need him to use his size and physically move guys out of the paint. Be a presence down low.

Size like his is a skill in college basketball when used the right way. 

I do question his ability to "want" to be a bruiser and our coaches ability to get that out of him, but who knows.

1 minute ago, Minnesota_husker said:

See, I think he has some skills or at least ability to grow them... He is a bit unbalanced, but are you telling me he is less athletic than an Andre Almeida?

We need him to use his size and physically move guys out of the paint. Be a presence down low.

I do question his ability to "want" to be a bruiser and our coaches ability to get that out of him, but who knows.

I wasn't comparing him to anyone, let alone Almeida. I do not think he has the ability to grow into being the big man NU needs.. constant foul trouble happens for a couple two reasons.. lack of overall skill and flat out poor judgement. Jordy is both, but his judgement can improve, if the coaches can bring it out of him. I have seen this in players before, they lack the skill to keep up, so they resort to fouling.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

I wasn't comparing him to anyone, let alone Almeida. I do not think he has the ability to grow into being the big man NU needs.. constant foul trouble happens for a couple two reasons.. lack of overall skill and flat out poor judgement. Jordy is both, but his judgement can improve, if the coaches can bring it out of him. I have seen this in players before, they lack the skill to keep up, so they resort to fouling.

I dont disagree with you... I think its a mixture of Jordy's style and our coaches not understanding how to use his skills in our "system".

We so badly wanted a true big man yet our offense doesnt have any clue how to use him. I truly think we would be much better as a team that just runs runs runs and uses that to get open looks. 

I blame Jordy's diminishing impact on a our inability to know how to use a true 5. My biggest issue with Miles is our offensive system. No matter the guys we get on the court, it always looks lost.. almost like we dont run any plays just give it to our best player, and have him dribble around and throw up a contested shot.

At least we have added more talent to help that a bit.

I would love if we could run an offense through a true 5 posting up, drawing attention and then passing it to the open guy.. Maybe they want to do that but know that jordy is not the right guy to do that.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I dont disagree with you... I think its a mixture of Jordy's style and our coaches not understanding how to use his skills in our "system".

We so badly wanted a true big man yet our offense doesnt have any clue how to use him. I truly think we would be much better as a team that just runs runs runs and uses that to get open looks. 

I blame Jordy's diminishing impact on a our inability to know how to use a true 5. My biggest issue with Miles is our offensive system. No matter the guys we get on the court, it always looks lost.. almost like we dont run any plays just give it to our best player, and have him dribble around and throw up a contested shot.

At least we have added more talent to help that a bit.

I would love if we could run an offense through a true 5 posting up, drawing attention and then passing it to the open guy.. Maybe they want to do that but know that jordy is not the right guy to do that.

Its all about moving without the ball.  He is finally getting enough talent that he can go to the bench if someone is standing around.  Jordy is just too slow & clumsy.   If we had anyone else, he probably would have red-shirted last year.

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Size can be a skill, but when you are playing against the Stetson's of the world who don't have size and try to back someone down with force the just flop and the ref's rarely recognize the flop.  They just call a charge and go to the other end of the floor.  I think that might be part of why Jordy looked better at the end of last season - he was playing against similarly sized players.