Income Inequality

50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is what needs to be looked at.

An interesting idea would be to have a sliding scale of tax breaks depending on average company wage compared to management.

Another one would be that you get a tax break if your average wage (not including management)  is above the county average.

I'd support those ideas. If we're going to have a payroll tax, then maybe we should remove the salary cap that exempts higher income and make the tax progressive.

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Reduce corporate taxes and wages will rise because if you tax the company, they just take it out of the employees paychecks (which is BS).  That's what the article is basically saying.

I disagree. There's nuance to what the article is saying.

But at the end of the day, if the defense of companies not paying taxes is "But they pay 7.6% payroll tax!", then I think that's still a pretty big issue.

23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

disagree. There's nuance to what the article is saying.

But at the end of the day, if the defense of companies not paying taxes is "But they pay 7.6% payroll tax!", then I think that's still a pretty big issue.

I’m  willing to think there are companies  that should be paying more. 

But if someone needs to twist around that mental argument to still be able to say they don’t pay any, well that’s just being dishonest when there is no need to be. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a friend a few years back who had used up all her sick days/days off...her daughters graduation from college was coming up but she was going to be docked pay for attending...about 10 staff members "offered up" their days off for her to use...my loser boss refused to let them do that.  She was a horrible boss.  Still pissed me off.

From the linked article:

“I’ve seen breathtaking acts of selfishness,” says lifelong East Hamptonite Jason LaGarenne, 42. “I saw one guy walk out [of a grocery store] with a cart full of carrots. Just carrots. Another cart was full of bottles of water and orange anti-microbial dish soap. If you’re a ridiculous person in general, I guess your ridiculousness is amplified by something like this.”

Amazon, Owned by World's Richest Man, Soliciting Public Donations To Pay Workers' Sick Leave

As Popular Information reported last week, a significant number of Amazon's workforce -- particularly part-time employees and contract workers -- are not receiving paid sick time. In response to the pandemic, Amazon said it would provide two weeks of sick leave to "all Amazon employees diagnosed with COVID-19 or placed into quarantine." Kroger had a similar policy until Saturday when Kroger expanded its policy to cover workers with COVID-19 symptoms or who need to care for sick family members. Amazon, however, has held firm.

Amazon's large contract workforce, which delivers packages and performs other critical tasks, is in even worse shape. Amazon is not providing any sick leave at all for these workers, even if they test positive for COVID-19. Instead, these workers must apply to the "Amazon Relief Fund" and apply for a grant to cover their sick leave. The fund is "focused on supporting our U.S.-based Delivery Associates employed by Delivery Service Providers, our Amazon Flex Delivery Partners, and Associates working for Integrity Staffing, Adecco Staffing, and RES Staffing, and drivers and support team members of line haul partners under financial distress due to a COVID-19 diagnosis or quarantine." Amazon donated $25 million to the fund and is soliciting individual donations to add to the pot. It initially included an option to donate by text.