Income Inequality

It's nuts the way the markets respond to stuff.

We can get a ~15% unemployment number and the worst job losses in our history and they go up just fine, banking on "the worst being behind us" or some such.

The head of the Fed says the opposite and markets bomb.

I get it, just kind of crazy how myopic they are in what they react to.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's nuts the way the markets respond to stuff.

We can get a ~15% unemployment number and the worst job losses in our history and they go up just fine, banking on "the worst being behind us" or some such.

The head of the Fed says the opposite and markets bomb.

I get it, just kind of crazy how myopic they are in what they react to.

Blood bath today, I'll hold off on checking my TD account for a few days - I don't need that negativity in my life during a pandemic. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

That's really interesting.  First, it tells the story that the tweet states.  The very top income level should NOT point downward.  But, it also shows the level of taxation throughout the years.  Personally, I have no desire to get back to the shape of the graph in 1950.  I also agree the shape of the graph is screwed up right now.

I believe an appropriate shape is around 2003...but fix the very top data point.

It's also pretty interesting to see how pretty much everyone's taxes dropped in both 2003 and 2010.

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's really interesting.  First, it tells the story that the tweet states.  The very top income level should NOT point downward.  But, it also shows the level of taxation throughout the years.  Personally, I have no desire to get back to the shape of the graph in 1950.  I also agree the shape of the graph is screwed up right now.

I believe an appropriate shape is around 2003...but fix the very top data point.

It's also pretty interesting to see how pretty much everyone's taxes dropped in both 2003 and 2010.

The relative taxation levels are interesting to be sure, but I can't agree with you on the level of taxation. Really it depends on what we're getting for our tax money. For example, if we had universal health care, then a higher tax rate for everyone makes sense.

15 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The relative taxation levels are interesting to be sure, but I can't agree with you on the level of taxation. Really it depends on what we're getting for our tax money. For example, if we had universal health care, then a higher tax rate for everyone makes sense.

I was mainly talking about the shape of the curve.