Income Inequality

• 5 weeks later...

16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Hope they catch the leakers 

Why? The leakers should not be the focus here. What about the system that lets multibillionaires, the richest of the rich, pay less tax than you or I or the common person? That is the problem that needs to be remedied. The leakers provided a valuable public service.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Why? The leakers should not be the focus here. What about the system that lets multibillionaires, the richest of the rich, pay less tax than you or I or the common person? That is the problem that needs to be remedied. The leakers provided a valuable public service.

Maybe because the leakers committed a crime:dunno

if Congress wants to fix loopholes then they need to do it.  Glorifying people who release private tax information is not the fix or a public service. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

if Congress wants to fix loopholes then they need to do it.  Glorifying people who release private tax information is not the fix or a public service. 

Does this disdain for those who committed a crime also extend to the people who stormed the capital building?

Given how dysfunctional congress is and has been and considering they have failed to correct inequities in the tax code,  some of which the general public was not even aware of until this leak, we may have to disagree about the leak being a public service. Or do you prefer a secretive government that caters to the ultra rich at our expense?

• Plus1 3
25 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Does this disdain for those who committed a crime also extend to the people who stormed the capital building?

Given how dysfunctional congress is and has been and considering they have failed to correct inequities in the tax code,  some of which the general public was not even aware of until this leak, we may have to disagree about the leak being a public service. Or do you prefer a secretive government that caters to the ultra rich at our expense?

The rich own the government. Politicians are the puppets and corporations and billionaires are the puppet masters. Nothing will ever change. Politicians work for their donors, the donors are the rich.

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

The rich own the government. Politicians are the puppets and corporations and billionaires are the puppet masters. Nothing will ever change. Politicians work for their donors, the donors are the rich.

I understand this. I was just struggling to understand how somebody could be that incensed about this type of information leak. Seems like a thing the common taxpayer and voter should be made aware of regardless how it happened. Should be covered by some kind of whistleblower protections….but somebody really wants them caught and punished?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Are those two separate issues?  Does one have to do with the other or is there some point you are trying to get it?  
I have previously posted, I believe the day of, week of Jan 6th my feelings towards those people. 

Or do you prefer a secretive government that caters to the ultra rich at our expense?

That has nothing to do with someone following the fax code.  Everyone who wants to know the tax code has access to it.  There is no secret to it.  Or is this statement meant for some other purpose.  

If Bezos, Musk or any other billionaire/millionaire didn’t pay what they were supposed to pay, that’s on the IRS to enforce the tax code.  If they did follow the tax code, why is it anyone’s business to publish their private tax information without their consent?  You gonna post yours here? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Before this leak, did you know there are years that you pay more income tax than Jeff Bezos? Are you happy about that fact?

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I was just struggling to understand how somebody could be that incensed about this type of information leak.

My comment was “I hope they catch the leakers.”  You then go all the way to “how somebody can be that incensed”. Pretty far leap.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Before this leak, did you know there are years that you pay more income tax than Jeff Bezos? Are you happy about that fact?

If he is following the tax code, really makes no difference to me.  As long as he plays by the rules set forth by our elected officials. Why would you be mad at him?  
Do you voluntarily pay more in income tax than you have to?  If not why should he?  

• Plus1 1