Income Inequality

11 hours ago, teachercd said:

Thank you!

I appreciate that.  I have thought about this for years now and I think it would be an amazing program for everyone.  Imagine being a HS student that basically hates school...then imagine that student making 16 dollars an hour for 4 hours a day and learning a trade that will end up making him/her 35 - 100 dollars an hour.  It is a no brainer

I also think there should be HS run companies...companies that do decks, siding, gutters, windows, garage doors, driveways, you name it.  The possibilities are freaking endless..."cheap" labor for 1.5 years that leads to kids learning how to do things!

My brother teachers high school industrial arts, and that's what his cabinet class does. They contract out professionally, although I'm not sure if the students are involved in bidding and budgeting. But now I'm curious enough to ask him.

• 4 months later...

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

An interesting take on how billionaire philanthropy is on the whole supporting inequality:

It's an interesting video (thus far, haven't finished the whole thing), and I agree with the thought that rich people throwing money at a problem doesn't fix it. But, there's a lot of fluff, and not a lot of 'how'.... I've got a feeling we wouldn't agree on that part.... I'm interested enough that I may buy the book, however.

Edit: He also made me feel like a weirdo for still having, and using a yahoo email, for both my business and personal.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

If you believe that throwing money at a problem won't fix it, it doesn't really matter who is doing the throwing.  So there is correlation.

No there's not. Funding the wall isn't wasteful, in my opinion. I do find a lot of the ways government chooses to spend money to be "throwing money at a problem it won't fix", however.

57 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's an interesting video (thus far, haven't finished the whole thing), and I agree with the thought that rich people throwing money at a problem doesn't fix it. But, there's a lot of fluff, and not a lot of 'how'.... I've got a feeling we wouldn't agree on that part.... I'm interested enough that I may buy the book, however.

Edit: He also made me feel like a weirdo for still having, and using a yahoo email, for both my business and personal.

Haha, I still have a yahoo address for my junk mail.

I've watched some other interviews with him and there's a lot of nuance in what he's trying to say. I'm probably going to read the book but I've got about a dozen books I'm working on first. :D

• 7 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Easier yes, but imagine the money they can get back if they just picked up the percentage of wealthy that they audit?

And somebody's gotta say it - with this hitting the news, what are the chances Trumps' taxes are under audit, still ... 3 years after he claimed they were?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I genuinely don't know which thread this belongs in, but it's worth talking about and this seems to fit somewhat.

The IRS admits it doesn't audit the wealthy as much as it audits the poor because "it's easier to audit the poor."

WTF????

This gets to something that is a real problem with the IRS.  They hire people right out of college and are expected to go up against seasoned really good accountants and lawyers.  Anyone that starts with the IRS that's really good, gets hired into the private sector for a lot more money.

So, I can understand their feelings here.  But, it's not a good excuse to not try.

And...if the tax code were to be simplified, it would make their jobs a lot easier.

• Plus1 3