Jim/Pam vs Leslie/Ben

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

The Office is far too cringy for my tastes

Not only is this true of the best part of the series (the beginning), but it really deviated from its origins later in the series.  It became a caricature of itself, and the last couple of seasons are almost unwatchable.  A very different show.

Contrast that with P&R that was what it was all the way through, and got better every season, and I think P&R is clearly better.  And I love The Office.

• Plus1 1

Loved Parks and Rec. Was never able to get into The Office. But I hated Leslie Knope. She was always cringy rather than funny to me. But then again I've had a distaste for Amy Poehler since SNL. Her funny always seemed so try hard-ish compared to Tina Fey. But P&R as a whole was great. Ben has the best stare on television, Aziz and Donna were a good combo (#TreatYoSelf), Ron is Ron,  and April/Johnny Karate are the cutest office space couple ever, hands down.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Contrast that with P&R that was what it was all the way through

I disagree with this entirely. I think P&R started as a way too on-the-nose clone of The Office formula. But every season it started getting more goofy, outlandish, and even more of a caricature of itself but in an intentionally self-aware way, and that's why it continued to get better and better.

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

I disagree with this entirely. I think P&R started as a way too on-the-nose clone of The Office formula. But every season it started getting more goofy, outlandish, and even more of a caricature of itself but in an intentionally self-aware way, and that's why it continued to get better and better.

This. The first season of P&R is on par with The Office in terms of quality because they try to ape The Office 90% of the time; Leslie was basically a gender swapped Michael Scott. One they started doing their own thing in season 2, the quality shot through the roof, and the show got really good. 

17 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Silly me, I liked the Office because it was entertaining and hilarious. I didn't realize I was supposed to be analyzing all the interpersonal relationships. I have just begun to watch P&R. I can sure sense the commonality to the Office but I haven't made it through the first season yet. Seems like evaluating these types of things might remove some of the joy of viewing, IDK. Maybe I'm just shallow.

No, you are right.  I guess I don't mind deep dives into shows, but there is nothing wrong with watching a TV show for the pure entertainment value.  That's what I do.

But, real quick, the author comments that she would hate Jim Halpert as a 30-something and be more attracted to Ben.  That's nothing earth shattering, and I just skimmed the article, but there is nothing wrong with Jim being pranky and jokey at work in his early-to-mid 20s, and then being more serious about work as he gets older.  That's called maturing.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Overall, I am a much, much bigger fan of Parks and Rec than The Office. The Office is far too cringy for my tastes, and if you really think about it, most of the characters on the show are horrible people. 

Plus, Ron Swanson is on one show, and not the other. 

Ron Swanson's Pyramid of Greatness is the best thing ever!!!

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3565471

My favorites from the Pyramid of Greatness are:

Haircuts -- 3 Acceptable Styles:  High and Tight, Crew Cut, and Buzz Cut

Capitalism -- God's way of determining who is smart, and who is poor

Cursing -- There is only one bad word - taxes.  If any other word is good enough for sailors, it's good enough for you.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My favorites from the Pyramid of Greatness are:

Haircuts -- 3 Acceptable Styles:  High and Tight, Crew Cut, and Buzz Cut

Capitalism -- God's way of determining who is smart, and who is poor

Cursing -- There is only one bad word - taxes.  If any other word is good enough for sailors, it's good enough for you.

swanson-pyramid-of-greatness-pc-2560x160

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

The source of that "article" about Aziz Ansari is not looking too good at the moment. 

Spoiler for NSFW language.

Reveal hidden contents

Yea, that situation is becoming a dumpster fire all unto it's own, and I hope it doesn't sink the show, or his career.....but Netflix might not want the drama that would come with another season.