China

Is free trade with China a long term good policy for the USA?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is very disturbing.  USA financed battery technology now being manufactured in China due to DOE.  

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/03/1114964240/new-battery-technology-china-vanadium

But that's not what happened. Instead of the batteries becoming the next great American success story, the warehouse is now shuttered and empty. All the employees who worked there were laid off. And more than 5,200 miles away, a Chinese company is hard at work making the batteries in Dalian, China.

The Chinese company didn't steal this technology. It was given to them — by the U.S. Department of Energy. First in 2017, as part of a sublicense, and later, in 2021, as part of a license transfer. An investigation by NPR and the Northwest News Network found the federal agency allowed the technology and jobs to move overseas, violating its own licensing rules while failing to intervene on behalf of U.S. workers in multiple instances.

Now, China has forged ahead, investing millions into the cutting-edge green technology that was supposed to help keep the U.S. and its economy out front

Department of Energy officials declined NPR's request for an interview to explain how the technology that cost U.S. taxpayers millions of dollars ended up in China. After NPR sent department officials written questions outlining the timeline of events, the federal agency terminated the license with the Chinese company, Dalian Rongke Power Co. Ltd.

"DOE takes America's manufacturing obligations within its contracts extremely seriously," the department said in a written statement. "If DOE determines that a contractor who owns a DOE-funded patent or downstream licensee is in violation of its U.S. manufacturing obligations, DOE will explore all legal remedies."

Several U.S. companies have tried to get a license to make the batteries

The department is now conducting an internal review of the licensing of vanadium battery technology and whether this license — and others — have violated U.S. manufacturing requirements, the statement said.

Forever Energy, a Bellevue, Wash., based company, is one of several U.S. companies that have been trying to get a license from the Department of Energy to make the batteries. Joanne Skievaski, Forever Energy's chief financial officer, has been trying to get hold of a license for more than a year and called the department's decision to allow foreign manufacturing "mind boggling."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I read about this a while ago. It’s infuriating. 

The press needs to keep pushing till they get answers. 

I'm curious how high this one goes, and who's going to be the scape goat.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Cue me in - how did that happen under Trump?  I've heard nothing but its Biden's attack on American oil from the GOP. 

Oil drilling started dropping off in the US in early 2019.  Then, it totally dropped off in 2020 and we have been building back ever since.  It's just now getting back to the level it was pre pandemic.

LINK

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oil drilling started dropping off in the US in early 2019.  Then, it totally dropped off in 2020 and we have been building back ever since.  It's just now getting back to the level it was pre pandemic.

LINK

2020 obviously can't blame Trump too much. I don't think any President really would have had the foresight to artificially inflate well and rigs for the hopes that everything would start right back up. Plus, they would have been torched for giving more money to the oil companies.

2019 was pretty much all his doing for the Saudis.

15 minutes ago, ZRod said:

2020 obviously can't blame Trump too much. I don't think any President really would have had the foresight to artificially inflate well and rigs for the hopes that everything would start right back up. Plus, they would have been torched for giving more money to the oil companies.

2019 was pretty much all his doing for the Saudis.

I throw this in the face of MAGAts when they blame Biden for the high oil prices and US oil production being down.  Hey...Trump is the one that cut oil production so much.  Biden has been fighting to bring it back.

In reality, neither President has much to do with the oil production over the last 3 years.....or really even longer than that.  MAGAts like to talk about how low gas prices were during his presidency.  However, in actuality, gas prices just stayed steady...if not rose just slightly.  The real boom in drilling and oil production happened during Obama's term.  

Oil drilling started dropping in 2019 due to oil companies not wanting to drill more, because they had the production they wanted and didn't want to crash the market.  Obviously, the drop in 2020 was because of the pandemic and oil companies were actually paying companies to take their oil at one point.

Oil production has come back, it hasn't come back faster due to lack of employees and supply chain issues.  I've read numerous oil industry reports talking about this and how you can't just flip a switch and start instantly producing more oil.

But...if MAGAts are going to blame Biden for the high bas prices, I'm going to blame Trump for being the President that cut drilling and production.

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I throw this in the face of MAGAts when they blame Biden for the high oil prices and US oil production being down.  Hey...Trump is the one that cut oil production so much.  Biden has been fighting to bring it back.

In reality, neither President has much to do with the oil production over the last 3 years.....or really even longer than that.  MAGAts like to talk about how low gas prices were during his presidency.  However, in actuality, gas prices just stayed steady...if not rose just slightly.  The real boom in drilling and oil production happened during Obama's term.  

Oil drilling started dropping in 2019 due to oil companies not wanting to drill more, because they had the production they wanted and didn't want to crash the market.  Obviously, the drop in 2020 was because of the pandemic and oil companies were actually paying companies to take their oil at one point.

Oil production has come back, it hasn't come back faster due to lack of employees and supply chain issues.  I've read numerous oil industry reports talking about this and how you can't just flip a switch and start instantly producing more oil.

But...if MAGAts are going to blame Biden for the high bas prices, I'm going to blame Trump for being the President that cut drilling and production.

Well, they're morons. So we should probably start talking about reality again :lol: