Post-Practice Presser - March 31

6 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You're right, talent rankings are infallible and exist in a vacuum where absolutely no other criteria matters.  All hail recruiting rankings!  Death to any who oppose or question their absolute truth!

:P

Year    NU-Wisky

2011  17-48

2012  30-27

2012  31-70

2014  24-59

2015  21-23

2016  17-23

2017  17-38

Guess who I think has had better talent regardless of recruiting rankings?

14 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

Year    NU-Wisky

2011  17-48

2012  30-27

2012  31-70

2014  24-59

2015  21-23

2016  17-23

2017  17-38

Exactly my point.  Nebraska has "out-recruited" every team in the Big 10 West by a wide margin and yet they've been getting trounced by Wisconsin and Iowa.  They've also been beaten regularly by teams like Northwestern and Minnesota.  Not to mention the absolutely embarrassing 55 points Purdue put on us in Riley's first year.

Note I am not saying recruiting isn't important.  I am also not saying Nebraska shouldn't go after the best possible players.  What I am saying is that recruiting great players is only the starting point.  What our coaches do with these players, how they take to the coaching, their commitment to working/getting better, coaching continuity, staying relatively injury free--all these factors combine to give us a perception of "talent" level.

My over-arching point is: Nebraska has recruited great players all along.  We've lacked great coaching, player development, and individual player "want" for several seasons.  The net result is the tired, low-hanging fruit of the we have no (or little) talent and can't compete mantra-and it's a load of malarky.  

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

Year    NU-Wisky

2011  17-48

2012  30-27

2012  31-70

2014  24-59

2015  21-23

2016  17-23

2017  17-38

No idea, but Nebraska had more talent than Wisconsin many/most of those years.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Exactly my point.  Nebraska has "out-recruited" every team in the Big 10 West by a wide margin and yet they've been getting trounced by Wisconsin and Iowa.  They've also been beaten regularly by teams like Northwestern and Minnesota.  Not to mention the absolutely embarrassing 55 points Purdue put on us in Riley's first year.

Note I am not saying recruiting isn't important.  I am also not saying Nebraska shouldn't go after the best possible players.  What I am saying is that recruiting great players is only the starting point.  What our coaches do with these players, how they take to the coaching, their commitment to working/getting better, coaching continuity, staying relatively injury free--all these factors combine to give us a perception of "talent" level.

My over-arching point is: Nebraska has recruited great players all along.  We've lacked great coaching, player development, and individual player "want" for several seasons.  The net result is the tired, low-hanging fruit of the we have no (or little) talent and can't compete mantra-and it's a load of malarky.  

I don't think recruiting rankings are the end all of analysis, but from my previous link.

OSU  - 955.51

UM - 874.89

PSU - 779.49

NU - 693.46

MSU - 680.94

Wisky - 639.76

NW - 627.54

Iowa - 593.93

We are much closer in talent to Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa than we are to Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.  And, that is exactly how the games have played out since we have been in the Big 10.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

No idea, but Nebraska had more talent than Wisconsin many/most of those years.

Really?  A team that has superior talent doesn't go 1-6, getting blown out multiple times and never blowing out the other team.

Edited by yort2000

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Coaches exist. Some are better than others. Some coaches can do more with less talent. Some do less with more.

Gary Anderson and Brett Bielema?  You staking your reputation on those two guys?

Edited by yort2000
28 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

Hmm....says the person with 12,000+ posts.

I've been using this forum for 7.5 years. It's the only internet forum I use.

You edited your post so I edited mine.

Now for my new reply: If my reputation was based on this forum, I'd have random people giving me thumbs up 2.5 times per day. Which would be weird.

Edited by Moiraine

48 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

I don't think recruiting rankings are the end all of analysis, but from my previous link.

OSU  - 955.51

UM - 874.89

PSU - 779.49

NU - 693.46

MSU - 680.94

Wisky - 639.76

NW - 627.54

Iowa - 593.93

We are much closer in talent to Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa than we are to Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.  And, that is exactly how the games have played out since we have been in the Big 10.

Coincidentally during that time (and especially the last three years) Nebraska had arguably the worst coaching staff in the entire FBS.  Add to that almost zero player development and an attitude regarding strength and conditioning that could best be described as optional.

Where I differ is the notion that Ohio State has a huge advantage in terms of talent.  I think overall Ohio State is more talented, but the gap isn't nearly as wide as the final scores of our last couple of games with them seem to indicate.

So how about those post-practice pressers. Anywho, I think this defense has nowhere to go but up. With the abysmal and lackluster performance of last year, we should improve in a lot of areas. And some of you may be caught up in the team's record, I want to see improvement and a want to attitude. If it means going 6-6 or 10-2 I don't care I want to see improvement. Especially on defense because we did not care last year, so these coaches will get them playing harder and better on gamedays. If the team gives its best effort and it results in another OSU blowout that is fine because as long as these players fight for 60 minutes and play to the best of their ability that is all I as a fan can ask for. So many times people get caught up in Ws and Ls that they don't realize improvement, which to me is what is important for the 2018 season. 

• Plus1 3

I am very concerned that there are far too many on this board making comments and expressing hope and faith that somehow this new coaching staff is going to make this 2018 team into champions!   After 6 weeks of strength and conditioning and 4 practices (1 or 2 with pads on but little if any contact) suddenly people are suggesting we have to the 'talent' to go 12-0?

Get real.    How many trophies and championships has this new coaching staff actually won?   How many championship caliber teams have the fielded over their many years of coaching as a staff?   

The staff is  recruiting some good players (comparable to recent years' recruits) but other than lifting some weights and a few extra running drills, this is the same bunch of players that went 4-8 last year.   Now, they are learning a whole new system once again - starting over from scratch.   No doubt, these guys are about as experienced as any college football team has ever been at starrting from scratch.  It seems they've been doing it in Lincoln for about 6 years in a row now - coaching changes, player revolts, ADs, fan civil wars, etc.

These coaches are not going to bad mouth these players - players with fragile egos already.   Comparing this '18 bunch in Lincoln to UCF '17 is nonsense and means nothing.  I believe the coaches have actually said that the comparison is this NU bunch is somewhat ahead of of where the UCF '16 guys were after 3 or 4 practicces mostly because the coaches have been together longer not because the talent is OSU level.   2016 UCF was NOT a good team so let's hope NU is better than that!

We are middle of the Big Ten west in talent overall and have been been for most of the last decade.  Our wins and losses, over the years, indicate and evidence this fact.   Hard as it is for many to come to grips with this simple fact, it is quite evident.  We have had some above average coaches, below average coaches, etc through this period.   But, on average, we've had slightly above average coaches and players and won about that many games.  Can we do better?   I sure hope so.  That's why we are spending many millions of fan dollars constantly trying to 'hire' our way to winning seasons and teams.  We may need a few new coaches here and there as the coming three seasons play out, but our primary focus needs to be getting our current players in the best football shape possible (mentally and physically) and then everybody supporting and cheering and encouraging them in whatever way legally possible.  

Winning begets more winning - somewhat a self-fulfilling prophecy.   Let's let these guys have some room to build the team and the program without expecting a 12-0 start in year one.   We want to Frost and Co to stay for year two don't we?  

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
  • Plus1 1

I had know idea how bad the last staff was, when they were hired. Didn't understand the hire but thought they should be given  3 yrs to show what they could do. Riley's recruiting the first 2 yrs had me excited about the future. 

I now will just wait and hope we have the right staff in place. You don't have to have a top 5 recruiting classes to win big, T. O. proved that, but you do need the right coaches to do it.

GBR!!!

Not quoting that whole post from my phone. 

No, Nebraska is not in the middle of the division in talent. The recruiting rankings aren't perfect but they aren't far off. I believe we've had the best recruiting rank every single year in our division. At worst we're in 2nd. We just haven't had coaches who use it correctly and coach it to be better.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 8