Did We Fire (pick favorite coach) too soon?

Jeepy

44 minutes ago, beorach said:

This isn't that complicated, man.

All I was expressing was that, given we were going to hire Coach Frost anyway, I figured we just wasted the previous three years.  If you're bent out of shape over that thought, to the extent you're dissecting it and using terms like "cross purposes" that make no sense to me, I think you could use a break from this board.

And if you can't have a (somewhat) intelligent discussion on the thoughts and posts you bring to the board, maybe you shouldn't be here at all. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

And if you can't have a (somewhat) intelligent discussion on the thoughts and posts you bring to the board, maybe you shouldn't be here at all. 

You're out of line.  If you didn't understand me at first (and I can own some of that for writing a short post), you certainly do by now, but you've still opted to insult me personally.  That's board pollution.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, beorach said:

I think you can make a better case that we did that with Bo.  I'm still more inclined to believe we hired Coach Frost too late.

How so? Eichorst and Perlman weren't hiring him, even when he was just a coordinator.  Even if they wanted him, he wouldn't have accepted.

This is embarrassing. 

Not the losing thing. The fact that we got the exact perfect guy and situation and it's not good enough? Face-palm to us as a fan base if that's where we are at. 

Furthermore, he showed reluctance around the fan base and THAT was embarrassing. Even a flinch of him doing that really grinded my gears but who could blame him? And we take this opportunity to act like he isn't the guy? Shame on us.

• Fire 1
35 minutes ago, Redux said:

Howp so? Eichorst and Perlman weren't hiring him, even when he was just a coordinator.  Even if they wanted him, he wouldn't have accepted.

If you read more of the thread, you'll see I explained myself later.  The basic gist is I figured that, given we wasted three seasons with Riley, we might as well have hired Frost to follow Pelini.

This is one of those weird message board things to me.  I can't see how a conversation between Nebraska fans at a tailgater goes like this:

Fan 1: "Did we hire Coach Frost too soon?"

Fan 2: "Pssht.  We should have hired him to replace Bo for all the good Riley did us."

Fan 3: "That's so stupid I find it offensive."

The original post ITT asks an odd hypothetical already (as if we could pick and choose when we get a coach of Frost's caliber) such that I don't follow how my response gets so much critique.  I should have been clearer from the beginning but the original post wasn't realistic.

• Plus1 1

Well the OP asks if we fired the last 4 guys too soon, not if we hired Frost too late.  Hiring Frost too late, or saying that we hired him too late, implies that it was actually an option.  We were never hiring Frost in 2014 because our higher ups didn't want him and he didn't want to work for them.  Retaining the last 4 coaches obviously was an actual option that did not happen.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, beorach said:

This is a hindsight thing.  I think most, if not all, of us would agree we may as well have taken a chance on Coach Frost over Riley at that point (was the point).

Yeah, taking a chance on Frost in 2014 would have been cool and likely would have paid off by now.  But in 2014 he didn't have his staff yet, didn't have any experience turning a program around yet and .ost importantly didn't want to work here yet.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Redux said:

Well the OP asks if we fired the last 4 guys too soon, not if we hired Frost too late.  Hiring Frost too late, or saying that we hired him too late, implies that it was actually an option.  We were never hiring Frost in 2014 because our higher ups didn't want him and he didn't want to work for them.  Retaining the last 4 coaches obviously was an actual option that did not happen.

I never thought the OP was asking if we hired Frost too late.  The basic title was asking whether the timing of what NU did, including making the latest hire (I'm assuming based on the parenthetical "pick favorite coach"), was premature.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, beorach said:

I never thought the OP was asking if we hired Frost too late.  The basic title was asking whether the timing of what NU did, including making the latest hire (I'm assuming based on the parenthetical "pick favorite coach"), was premature.

As far as I can tell, you're the one who brought up the notion we hired Frost too late.  Point me in the right direction if I'm incorrect on that front.  I disagree with that statement because he was inexperienced and it wasn't a viable option at the time due to the circumstances I brought up.  Yeah, crystal ball would have said "Hey fire Eichorst before he hires Riley, hire Frost now before anyone finds out UCF is in Orlando". But it doesn't work like that.  Frost wasn't an option in 2014, 2015, or 2016.  So no, we hired him the first chance we got.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Redux said:

As far as I can tell, you're the one who brought up the notion we hired Frost too late.  Point me in the right direction if I'm incorrect on that front.  I disagree with that statement because he was inexperienced and it wasn't a viable option at the time due to the circumstances I brought up.  Yeah, crystal ball would have said "Hey fire Eichorst before he hires Riley, hire Frost now before anyone finds out UCF is in Orlando". But it doesn't work like that.  Frost wasn't an option in 2014, 2015, or 2016.  So no, we hired him the first chance we got.

You wrote that the OP was asking if we fired coaches too soon and I was pointing out that he also asks if we hired the latest one too soon (with the titular language in parentheses).  I countered with a simple statement that we may as well have hired Frost when we hired Riley and somehow that has been worth a lot of text from others.  Why you're directing all this at me instead of the OP is confusing but I guess I keep responding, too...  :dunno

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, beorach said:

You wrote that the OP was asking if we fired coaches too soon and I was pointing out that he also asks if we hired the latest one too soon (with the titular language in parentheses).  I countered with a simple statement that we may as well have hired Frost when we hired Riley and somehow that has been worth a lot of text from others.  Why you're directing all this at me instead of the OP is confusing but I guess I keep responding, too...  :dunno

It's called discussion, I guess I'm confused as to why you're confused.  I'm the 2nd person to question your original post, has very little to do with the OP at this point.  Yeah, we can say in hindsight that "we may as well have hired Frost in 2014" but it's just a silly thing we can say looking back. It wasn't actually something that could have happened.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's called discussion, I guess I'm confused as to why you're confused.  I'm the 2nd person to question your original post, has very little to do with the OP at this point.  Yeah, we can say in hindsight that "we may as well have hired Frost in 2014" but it's just a silly thing we can say looking back. It wasn't actually something that could have happened.

You wrote that I introduced the discussion on the timing of the Frost hire but that was part of the OP.  I can't help your not seeing that but I'll tell you again that's why I'm confused.  Whether Frost could have been hired at that time is also speculation.  I wasn't speculating on (the feasibility of) it even but sharing an opinion that he couldn't have done worse than Riley such that asking whether he was hired too soon was the silly thing.