4th and 8

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Chinander took pretty much all the same guys and put a significantly better defense out there.

So I don't think we have the talent to put a Top 10 defense out there but I do think we had enough talent to do significantly better than the s#!tshow that we actually saw.

Agree we look better, but if we blame lack of success on talent and not scheme, then Diaco had the same issue. I think that Frost is the difference maker with instilling a new culture.  It sounds like Diaco was toxic....I'm pretty sure that didn't help.  

Looking back with more clarity and less emotion, I think scheme created some issues as did talent.  Did talent fail the scheme or lack of talent not allow scheme to be executed properly.....

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think "them" could be referring to Iowa but I heard it as we were supposed to do everything we could do to NOT let them complete the ball in front of us and that's not what we did.

We were not supposed to let "them" complete the ball in front of us but we gave to much ground and allowed that to happen.

I think your spot on with this.  Regardless of "them" being NU or Iowa, the pass shouldn't have been completed.  Either way, NU had things in place to prevent that didn't work....

19 hours ago, TheSker said:

What changes in scheme do you think might have helped?

Heavier sets at the goal line. Less zone.  Even if in a zone, if a team needs 8 yards don't give up 14.  Maybe go to a 4 man front in obvious running downs...IMHO, Chin could've done something to assist in not having the talent ie dominant NT, edge rusher etc....Just my .02.  It's a circular argument.  If we had the talent , scheme looks great.  If talent lacks, scheme looks poor.  

On the recruiting trail, it looks like Frost and Co are swinging for the fences looking for a OL stuffing DT and some tall rangy DE's......I think he knows we need more size/talent to compete.  I'm just a believer that of you can't implement your scheme effectively with the talent you have, adjust. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, lo country said:

Heavier sets at the goal line. Less zone.  Even if in a zone, if a team needs 8 yards don't give up 14.  Maybe go to a 4 man front in obvious running downs...IMHO, Chin could've done something to assist in not having the talent ie dominant NT, edge rusher etc....Just my .02.  It's a circular argument.  If we had the talent , scheme looks great.  If talent lacks, scheme looks poor.  

On the recruiting trail, it looks like Frost and Co are swinging for the fences looking for a OL stuffing DT and some tall rangy DE's......I think he knows we need more size/talent to compete.  I'm just a believer that of you can't implement your scheme effectively with the talent you have, adjust. 

There is definitely a focus on improving the pass rush.

A 4 man front or heavier set sounds good, and would seem like the thing to do.  But our D line got ran over too much of the time.  Frost specifically mentioned the difference in bodies after at least 3 games......Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

So do we have the personnel to play heavy to adjust to play heavy?

I think in some cases, we literally did not have the personnel to adjust.....and it's definitely why we played so much zone.

I think it bothers Frost to his core that we got pushed around.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, Enhance said:

Are we certain this was a 'Chin made a mistake' vs. Reed or another member of the defense not doing what they were supposed to? Perhaps I missed something in the thread.

Ultimately, it's Chin's responsibility to make the right defensive call and put his players in position to succeed, but the narrative here is tilted in favor of it being a poor schematic choice by Chin. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in an article or if Chin talked about it somewhere.

Frost said post-game that the coverage was supposed to be tighter on that play. Whether it was Reed being dumb, poor communication, inadequate coaching, or some combination I don't know. Wouldn't be Reed's first critical mistake(CU)or the first time we linedup wrong on a critical 4th and long(NW).