4th and 8

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

If they think he’s a liability I’m guessing he is, but I also trust that he was better than his backup.

His backup (Honas) has been injured with a season ending knee injury since Purdue

Honas IMO was by far the better backer between the two and probably would’ve taken over as the #1 had he not gotten injured

2 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

His backup (Honas) has been injured with a season ending knee injury since Purdue

Honas IMO was by far the better backer between the two and probably would’ve taken over as the #1 had he not gotten injured

IIRC, Honas was a pretty effective blitzer in Junior College.  He hadn't caught up to Young's overall play through the first 4 games, but was just starting to play more when he got injured.  Hopefully he can have a successful recovery from his knee injury.  That may still hinder his play a bit in 2019.

13 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

I think this is the case. I think it was the Troy game that Honas stepped up big time and really played pretty well. Looking forward to seeing what he can do next year when healthy. 

6 hours ago, Enhance said:

Are we certain this was a 'Chin made a mistake' vs. Reed or another member of the defense not doing what they were supposed to? Perhaps I missed something in the thread.

Ultimately, it's Chin's responsibility to make the right defensive call and put his players in position to succeed, but the narrative here is tilted in favor of it being a poor schematic choice by Chin. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in an article or if Chin talked about it somewhere.

I don't remember exactly how it was worded but Frost said somehting in his post-game presser that indicated Reed was not lined up the way he was supposed to be.  Though it could probably also mean that they should have had him lined up differently so it's hard to know for sure.  Definitely could have been either way.

I'm personally not sure that the alignment was as big of a deal as what he did after the snap.  He was lined up where our standard alignment would be.  But when you know it's fourth-and-eight, you can't start at 10 yards and then backpedal.  If you're going to line up there, you have to stay and drive on the throw at the line to gain.  Take your chances with him going deep but don't give him an easy one like that.

50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't remember exactly how it was worded but Frost said somehting in his post-game presser that indicated Reed was not lined up the way he was supposed to be.  Though it could probably also mean that they should have had him lined up differently so it's hard to know for sure.  Definitely could have been either way.

I'm personally not sure that the alignment was as big of a deal as what he did after the snap.  He was lined up where our standard alignment would be.  But when you know it's fourth-and-eight, you can't start at 10 yards and then backpedal.  If you're going to line up there, you have to stay and drive on the throw at the line to gain.  Take your chances with him going deep but don't give him an easy one like that.

Frost said "We had the right defense on.  Kind of gave a little too much ground in one spot on a zero blitz and let the ball get completed in front of us which isn't what we wanted them to do."  It would be odd if the "them" he is referring to is Iowa.  Where Reed started made a deep pass too risky plus we had a blitz that should make a deep pass difficult so backpedaling doesn't make sense.  Had Reed driven forward at the snap he could have reacted to the TE taking a route short of the 1st down and tackled him short and if the TE ran to the 1st down (like he did) he would have been in position to break up the pass or intercept it.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:25 AM, lo country said:

Watching the clip from the view point of Stanley, Young does what he has done all year.  Takes himself out of the play by running into a pile ie Mo and Sargent. Something he has shown an uncanny knack for.  He hesitates and stops.  He could've got the sack or forced a throw....He did neither.  What Shanle tweeted makes sense.  The announcers also talked about running hard to push the safety deep and then cutting back.  Not defending Reed 100%, but that was not all on him.  Similar play on 4th when the receiver beats Neal for a 7-8 yrd gain when Neal was playing about 10-12 yrds off.  No idea why we do that.  Did the same under Diaco......On a scary note, a Husker (maybe Ferguson) when asked about the transition from Diaco to Chin siad it was easy as he ran the same system as Diaco......MAYBE Diaco's failure here was a talent issue also........

You have to wonder this a little. You could argue that Notre Dame and Oklahoma are pretty good programs and they hired him so...

1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

Frost said "We had the right defense on.  Kind of gave a little too much ground in one spot on a zero blitz and let the ball get completed in front of us which isn't what we wanted them to do."  It would be odd if the "them" he is referring to is Iowa.  Where Reed started made a deep pass too risky plus we had a blitz that should make a deep pass difficult so backpedaling doesn't make sense.  Had Reed driven forward at the snap he could have reacted to the TE taking a route short of the 1st down and tackled him short and if the TE ran to the 1st down (like he did) he would have been in position to break up the pass or intercept it.

I think "them" could be referring to Iowa but I heard it as we were supposed to do everything we could do to NOT let them complete the ball in front of us and that's not what we did.

We were not supposed to let "them" complete the ball in front of us but we gave to much ground and allowed that to happen.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:25 AM, lo country said:

MAYBE Diaco's failure here was a talent issue also........

Chinander took pretty much all the same guys and put a significantly better defense out there.

So I don't think we have the talent to put a Top 10 defense out there but I do think we had enough talent to do significantly better than the s#!tshow that we actually saw.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yup. Stated this in another thread but the TE ran an an 11 yard route before he made his break. The throw was late and not exactly a bullet. The problem was Reed was 5 yards off the TE when he made his break. Heck if he was only 2 yards off it would’ve been an easy pass break up or interception.