NFL 2019

Mavric

41 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

Kicking has been pretty bad in the NFL for a couple of years.  Might be nice to see a team go in another direction like this

I think it would be really cool actually.  Heck I know the Bears have needed a kicker for years now ever since they got rid of Gould!

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I think it would be really cool actually.  Heck I know the Bears have needed a kicker for years now ever since they got rid of Gould!

I would be pretty interesting to see how it went.

If I was a GM or Owner, I'd be pretty worried about what happens if things don't go well.  Are we going to get a bunch of back-lash if we have to cut her?

• Fire 1

33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If I was a GM or Owner, I'd be pretty worried about what happens if things don't go well.  Are we going to get a bunch of back-lash if we have to cut her?

Hmm.  That's a good/interesting take Mav.  I guess there could be backlash but honestly most kickers end up getting cut anyhow so who knows?  I think it would actually be really cool and kind of hope that it happens!  I'm a Bears fan and after watching the videos she's definitely better than the kickers we've had lately sigh.

17 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Hmm.  That's a good/interesting take Mav.  I guess there could be backlash but honestly most kickers end up getting cut anyhow so who knows?  I think it would actually be really cool and kind of hope that it happens!  I'm a Bears fan and after watching the videos she's definitely better than the kickers we've had lately sigh.

Yeah, a lot of kickers are pretty well-traveled.  There are a lot of guys that are all pretty close so if they get on a bad streak they are cut and it's easy to sign a new one.

So what happens if she's good but below-average?  Do they cut her just like any other kicker?  Do they stick with her longer because she's female?  If she does get cut how much "if she was a guy she'd get more chances" and other such arguments.

I'm not saying that's a reason to NOT give her a chance.  I just think it would be a really interesting situation.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, a lot of kickers are pretty well-traveled.  There are a lot of guys that are all pretty close so if they get on a bad streak they are cut and it's easy to sign a new one.

So what happens if she's good but below-average?  Do they cut her just like any other kicker?  Do they stick with her longer because she's female?  If she does get cut how much "if she was a guy she'd get more chances" and other such arguments.

I'm not saying that's a reason to NOT give her a chance.  I just think it would be a really interesting situation.

In today's PC world you're right.  If she got cut you could definitely see someone immediately making it sexist.  She's getting offers though so kinda hoping she pulls the trigger and gives it a shot.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:58 PM, Mavric said:

It would be interesting and I'd love to see a team try it.

However, there's more to kicking in a game than in practice.  I know she has been on the biggest stage in soccer and used to the pressure of that.  However, she has never been in a  football game with 250 lb guys flying at her.  Knowing the timing of the snap, hold, kick...etc. is a major part of being accurate at this level.  She's never experienced any of that.  So, I would think she would be at a distinct disadvantage right from the start.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:56 AM, BigRedBuster said:

It would be interesting and I'd love to see a team try it.

However, there's more to kicking in a game than in practice.  I know she has been on the biggest stage in soccer and used to the pressure of that.  However, she has never been in a  football game with 250 lb guys flying at her.  Knowing the timing of the snap, hold, kick...etc. is a major part of being accurate at this level.  She's never experienced any of that.  So, I would think she would be at a distinct disadvantage right from the start.

I just watched an interview with her where she said before she would make any decision she said she wants to actually get on the field in a simulated real time situation with a defense and people coming after her etc.  She's being smart about it but she is also definitely giving it consideration.