Frost's Offensive Evolution

39 minutes ago, Undone said:

Another good example of the 'QB Wrap/Read/RPO' play that they showed from the Twitter video that actually did pay off was the play we finished Minnesota off with:

https://youtu.be/kh7klieOfx0?t=191

Same concept as the TE pop pass they ran in 2017, just with different personnel.

The Minnesota game is a great game, though. So many creative plays, so many great play calls. I particularly like the sequence in the mid 3rd quarter, after they got within a score. Fleck has to be thinking, given our record and how that game was starting to turn, that we are just gonna run it, shorten the game, and get outta town. And Nebraska comes out in two tight that whole drive. They’re in a 7 man box, Washington gashes them. Go to an 8 man box, single safety near side, Washington gashes them. But Frost was setting them up, had the tight ends together on the near side, with the back on the wide side of Martinez further showing strength to the near side, forcing that safety there for run support. But the twin receivers were to the wide side, and the next play Martinez rolls that way, a tight end runs a corner route to further pull that single safety away and Morgan runs a post route to the now completely empty middle of the field for an easy TD.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, brophog said:

The Minnesota game is a great game, though. So many creative plays, so many great play calls. I particularly like the sequence in the mid 3rd quarter, after they got within a score. Fleck has to be thinking, given our record and how that game was starting to turn, that we are just gonna run it, shorten the game, and get outta town. And Nebraska comes out in two tight that whole drive. They’re in a 7 man box, Washington gashes them. Go to an 8 man box, single safety near side, Washington gashes them. But Frost was setting them up, had the tight ends together on the near side, with the back on the wide side of Martinez further showing strength to the near side, forcing that safety there for run support. But the twin receivers were to the wide side, and the next play Martinez rolls that way, a tight end runs a corner route to further pull that single safety away and Morgan runs a post route to the now completely empty middle of the field for an easy TD.

Yes. It's beautiful football to watch.

Although the concepts aren't identical, it's like watching Osborne demolish a defensive coordinator with scheme. Once we get offensive linemen's strength & discipline up and cut down on the stupid penalties that set us back so many times last season, and once we play better special teams to take advantage of better starting field position, can you get your mind around what we're capable of with Martinez in the shotgun?

Back to the original Hail Varsity article, my only thing I'd point out was this quote:

"The fun stuff at Central Florida in 2017 was an undefeated season. It was an offense that was both one of the most efficient and one of the most explosive outfits in the country. With more talent in Lincoln after back-to-back top-25 recruiting classes and the right quarterback in place, what will “fun” be for Nebraska in 2019?"

The big thing to remember with this business of trying to force a parallel between UCF's year 2 results and our year 2 results with Frosty is the quality of defensive play in the B1G West. There is really no comparison to it and to that of the AAC. Really important to keep that in mind.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Although the concepts aren't identical, it's like watching Osborne demolish a defensive coordinator with scheme.

Different concepts, but a lot of it is similar in functionality. Osborne’s primary constraint play was toss out of 2 back. Take that FB and IB and move them outside and It becomes a 2 man quick screen. It’s still about controlling that LB/S on a quick hitting outside play. Just as Osborne would call toss from a wide variety of formations, just as Frost will attach a screen to practically anything.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Back to the original Hail Varsity article, my only thing I'd point out was this quote:

The big thing to remember with this business of trying to force a parallel between UCF's year 2 results and our year 2 results with Frosty is the quality of defensive play in the B1G West. There is really no comparison to it and to that of the AAC. Really important to keep that in mind.

This is what Frost’s offense did last year vs Big Ten West opponents (yds per game).

UCF (2016) had conference high games of 400 and 402. Their all comps season average was 351. 

There really is no comparison.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, brophog said:

This is what Frost’s offense did last year vs Big Ten West opponents (yds per game).

UCF (2016) had conference high games of 400 and 402. Their all comps season average was 351. 

You're absolutely right that there's no comparison between those two numbers in total yards totals. I'm not sure if red zone defense is a factor there between the two conferences or if this again goes back to our horrendous defense & special teams giving us poor field position...but UCF in 2017 averaged 49.4 points per game in games 1-12. 

I'm open to hearing about what accounted for that overwhelming disparity in points scored by 2017 UCF over 2018 Nebraska because I honestly don't know (outside of the things I mentioned above as well as a lot of drive-killing offensive penalties). 

Mainly I just want to convey that I think our offense could at minimum be the second best in the conference this season, but I don't know exactly how that will/won't wind up creating a "2017 UCF" type season for us this year.

5 hours ago, brophog said:

4 hours ago, Undone said:

.but UCF in 2017 averaged 49.4 points per game in games 1-12. 

I'm open to hearing about what accounted for that overwhelming disparity in points scored by 2017 UCF over 2018 Nebraska because I honestly don't know (outside of the things I mentioned above as well as a lot of drive-killing offensive penalties). 

He was talking about 2016 UCF (Frost year 1). You replied with stats from 2017 UCF (Frost year 2) to compare to 2018 NU (Froat year 1)