Michigan State's Dantonio Retires

8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I read somewhere his deal is like 6 more years and a lot of it is "guaranteed," so the thinking is they let him take the bonus and in return he won't fight for all of the rest of the money he's technically owed. I don't know if it's true or not, but it would make it a little less sketchy on his part.

I read a quote where he was planning on remaining with the University in another position.  I would think that would nullify his guaranteed contract and it would be renegotiated for his new position.

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I read somewhere his deal is like 6 more years and a lot of it is "guaranteed," so the thinking is they let him take the bonus and in return he won't fight for all of the rest of the money he's technically owed. I don't know if it's true or not, but it would make it a little less sketchy on his part.

I have no problem with him taking advantage of his contract. The bad thing is he did this the day before signing day and not right after Jan 15 when he got his bonus. This really screws over recruits. They also had like 6 guys early enroll who i doubt were told before they decided to commit and enroll early.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I have no problem with him taking advantage of his contract. The bad thing is he did this the day before signing day and not right after Jan 15 when he got his bonus. This really screws over recruits. They also had like 6 guys early enroll who i doubt were told before they decided to commit and enroll early.

They have 22 recruits with 3 of them that haven't signed.  One of those has indicated he isn't signing today.

So, basically he's only screwed over 2-3 recruits.

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They have 22 recruits with 3 of them that haven't signed.  One of those has indicated he isn't signing today.

So, basically he's only screwed over 2-3 recruits.

Do you think any of those guys that signed in December maybe would have not signed if they knew he was going to quit? It sucks for the unsigned guys and those that enrolled early.

Edited by LumberJackSker

2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Do you think any of those guys that signed in December maybe would have not signed if they knew he was going to quit? It sucks for the unsigned guys and those that enrolled early.

Sure...but that's the case no matter when a coach leaves.  There are lots of recruits all over the country that signed in December and now either their position coach or HC is not there.  This situation isn't really that much different for December signees.  

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sure...but that's the case no matter when a coach leaves.  There are lots of recruits all over the country that signed in December and now either their position coach or HC is not there.  This situation isn't really that much different for December signees.  

Hopefully if any of those guys want out of their LOIs msu will let them.

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

I'm not sure he knew in December that he was going to retire.  While the dirty laundry was there, it just started getting smelly recently.