Who has resurrected me, oh
Praise the Father, praise the Son
Praise the Spirit, three in one
God of glory, Majesty
Praise forever to the King of Kings
Praise forever to the King of Kings

Great song; Greater Savior

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1710844,00.html

@TGHusker you’ve mentioned NT Wright several times, you’d probably like this interview.

@BigRedN I know I’ve rubbed you the wrong way and I apologize for that.  But here is my story:

i grew up in a Lutheran family.  Solid foundation, very loving.  I have close family actually in Church leadership. Living well and loving others always took priority.  Good morals that can be observed in all religions.

These morals and beliefs were to be shared through the life we lived. A living faith is hard and requires work and compromise.  It involves admitting I’m wrong even when I was so sure I was right. It requires discomfort to make others comfortable.  

I posted this interview because it somewhat aligns with my “faith”.  There might be a Heaven, but I’m not counting on it. I believe in Jesus and appreciate his teachings, but logic tells me he didn’t raise from the dead (this thread isn’t meant for that debate). My faith insists that we, people of all faiths, should strive to make this world better for all its occupants.  Assuming there is no Heaven, this is all we got.  

My problem with many Christians, even those in my family, is the insistence that our rewards will be in Heaven.  If we just accept His grace, all will be well when our time comes.  Forgive my French: but what a crock of hooey!

IMO: Heaven would be icing on the cake.  But Our jobs should focus on fellow humans with the guidance of loving teachings about respect, equality, and sacrifice.  

Our job is an earthly job.  Heaven and the new covenant, if it exists, can wait.  I’m sure God would understand.

Not sure what I meant to portray with this post, but it felt good to type it out. :thumbs

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, funhusker said:

My problem with many Christians, even those in my family, is the insistence that our rewards will be in Heaven.  If we just accept His grace, all will be well when our time comes.  Forgive my French: but what a crock of hooey!

IMO: Heaven would be icing on the cake.  But Our jobs should focus on fellow humans with the guidance of loving teachings about respect, equality, and sacrifice.  

NT Wright - thanks for the link by the way -I'll listen to it today, says it does matter what we do here and now.  That what we do on this earth won't be lost - it is a part of making the new heaven and new earth.  Jesus was all about making the kingdom of God come alive here on earth -  the parable of the mustard seed is a parable of the kingdom. It starts as a little seed and before long it his huge and provides nourishment and rest for others. That is a description of how the kingdom has grown.  The kingdom is represented by individual believers - the church as a whole - wt its flaws but also with God's grace working through it to affect the lives of all in a positive way.  The 'secular history' book I'm reading now, Dominion by Tom Holland, documents this very thing.  He documents the huge change in the world, for the better, that Christian true faith has made (I'm not talking about American political evangelicalism, or crusades of the past.  We are still all fallen men and we still see through a glass dimly in many respects).  NT talks about one day the fullness of the new earth will be seen and known and we will be a part of it.  Think of 2 circles that interlock. For the Jews the space in between where heaven met earth, that was the temple.  But now, with the coming of Jesus, the temple was 'fulfilled' in him and He has become that space where heaven intersects wt earth. And because we, as believers are 'His Body' we are in that space and bring 'heaven to earth' by doing those good works (gold, silver, bronze as Paul says) as inspired by Him.  Good NT Wright books on the subject: 

Surprised by Hope or Simply Christianity. 

• NoLongerN changed the title to What ...