Bowman a first round draft pick

article in the OWH tonight

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - His modest play and statistics from last season couldn't hide the fact that Zack Bowman was still a 6-foot-2, 195-pound cornerback who could run the 40-yard dash in 4.36 seconds.

At 6-foot-2 and with a 40-yard dash time of less than 4.4 seconds, Nebraska cornerback Zack Bowman has grabbed the attention of many NFL experts. ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper lists Bowman among his top 25 prospects for next year's draft.

So when the 2006 NFL draft wrapped up and the gurus started looking ahead to 2007, Bowman immediately found himself high on some lists, assuring the Nebraska senior that this football season will be anything but boring.

"I feel a little pressure on my shoulders, knowing that they're watching," Bowman said. "But I'm not too much worried about it. I'm just going to go out there and play my game."

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper already has ranked Bowman among his top 25 prospects for the next draft. Others have agreed that he is a potential first-round pick.

Bowman shrugs when asked what might have pushed him up the charts. Maybe his play against Michigan in the Alamo Bowl, when he matched up well against Jason Avant and the Wolverines' other receivers, and made a nifty interception in the end zone.

"Going up against some of the best receivers in the country, and hanging with those guys and keeping them to the minimum, that opened up a lot of people's eyes," Bowman said. "And not only for me, but for Cortney (Grixby), too."

Bowman's own definition of an eye-opening experience has changed for the better.

A year ago, he was a junior college transfer who didn't quite know what was in store for him. Despite his lofty credentials, he got off to a slow start, battled some hamstring problems and didn't crack the starting lineup until the latter third of the season.

He eventually found his stride as he figured out the Husker defense and the calls on the field. His technique improved as he understood that he could no longer get by on just athletic ability.

"You just see a lot more of his confidence coming out now in his personality," NU safety Andrew Shanle said. "Now he's teaching players, whereas it was all new to him last year. He's just one of those guys who always has a smile on his face and is always ready to play."

Asked if he would turn back the clock and start last year over, if possible, Bowman paused and then said: "No. I learned from my mistakes then, and that makes me where I'm at right now."

Reporters didn't overwhelm Bowman at Big 12 media days, instead surrounding Husker quarterback Zac Taylor and defensive end Adam Carriker, who like Bowman is a potential NFL first-round pick. But NU defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said before spring practice that Bowman, based on his physical traits and talents, might be the Husker most likely to turn heads this season.

In his junior season, four of his 11 pass breakups came in the final two regular-season games. In the Alamo Bowl, Bowman and Titus Brothers pushed the Michigan ball-carrier out of bounds on the crazy final play.

As a senior, Bowman will need to anchor the secondary along with Grixby as Shanle and Tierre Green settle in as new starters at safety. Considering the strength of NU's front seven, those four players might determine how far the Huskers' defense can take them.

"Our defense can go a long way, man," Bowman said. "The main thing that I think we need to do is stay healthy. We need to have everybody for the whole season."

Mel Kiper's "Big Board" as of July 26th....

1. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-4, 231)

2005: 64.9 completion pct., 3,919 passing yards, 32 TD-7 INT

2. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-5, 260)

2005: 9½ sacks, 15 tackles for loss

3. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-8, 306)

2005: First Team All-Big Ten

4. Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St. (6-2, 229)

2005: Team-high 116 tackles, 3 sacks

5. Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia (6-5, 250)

2005: 11½ sacks, 20½ tackles for loss

6. Michael Bush, RB, Louisville (6-3, 250)

2005: 1,143 rushing yards, 23 TD

7. Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame (6-4, 231)

2005: 78 receptions, 1,274 yards, 15 TD

8. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-2, 204)

2005: All-SEC for third straight year

9. Tim Crowder, DE, Texas (6-4, 270)

2005: First Team All-Big 12

10. Brandon Meriweather, DB, Miami (6-0, 188)

2005: Led team with career-high 115 tackles

11. Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan St. (6-3, 230)

2005: 66.5 completion pct., 3,077 yards, 22 TD-12 INT

12. Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn (5-11, 200)

2005: 1,293 rushing yards, 13 TD

13. LaMarr Woodley, DE, Michigan (6-2, 268)

2005: 7 sacks, 14 tackles for loss

14. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-5, 324)

2005: First Team All-Big Ten

15. Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno St. (6-1, 200)

2005: 1 INT, 7 pass breakups

16. Michael Griffin, DB, Texas (6-0, 205)

2005: 3 INT, team-high 124 tackles

17. Ryan Harris, OT, Notre Dame (6-5, 288)

2005: Started all 12 games (32 straight starts)

18. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska (6-6, 280)

2005: 9 ½ sacks, 17 tackles for loss

19. Rufus Alexander, LB, Oklahoma (6-1, 231)

2005: 17 tackles for loss; team-high 102 tackles

20. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193)

2005: Team-high 4 INT

21. Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio St. (6-3, 295)

2005: 28 tackles, 3 tackles for loss

22. Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame (6-4, 260)

2005: Team-high 8 sacks, 15 tackles for loss

23. Justin Blalock, OT, Texas (6-4, 329)

2005: First Team All-Big 12

24. Jason Hill, WR, Washington St. (6-1, 210)

2005: 62 receptions, 1,097 yards, 13 TD

25. Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi (6-2, 230)

2005: Led SEC in tackles per game (12.8)

Don't see Bowman on there, but I'm sure he is on the bubble.

I think he is overrated. He hasn't lived up to what he was suppose to be, and if Frank Solich was still here ...shut up Benard!!!!!!!!!!! I think he is going to be a terrific DB this year, perhaps one of the best we have ever had.

I don't agree. He hasn't ... I said shut up!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel very good about this year. I think we could easily have a record of ... two and nine. Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Spartness. I think that Bowman's stock will rise even higher if he plays a whole season like he did the final 2 games. His size and speed could make him a real hot commodity next spring. Carriker is going to be a 10-20 guy, barring any injuries.

with all of the focus being on Carricker this year I think that Moore will have an awesome year and he to will be a late 1st round or early 2nd

:yeah I also wonder about Stew Bradley. He will be a senior, with all the focus on the line, he should make lots of big plays throughout the season. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

not putting the cart before the horse, everything depends on how the season plays out. If Stew has a great year then I say 2nd or 3rd round because of the injury last year. Just like Herrian, even if he has a banner year I dont think a pro team will be willing to use a first round pick on him. but I am not a draft expert by any means

not putting the cart before the horse, everything depends on how the season plays out. If Stew has a great year then I say 2nd or 3rd round because of the injury last year. Just like Herrian, even if he has a banner year I dont think a pro team will be willing to use a first round pick on him. but I am not a draft expert by any means

I don't know about that. Antonio Cromartie only started one game for Florida State and hadn't played football in a year and a half and was still picked in the top 25. Measurables and speed can raise a persons stats faster than stats can in my personal opinion.