Big Ten Conference - A Leader in Civics?

This week has brought up quite a few topics about who has control/influence over others within the conference. It conjured up a lot of speculation and emotions which have only been heightened given the impact that 2020 has had on everyone. There was quite a vocal minority seeking a switch out of the Big Ten and there were some justifiable points made for changing. On the flip side, there were several reasons for staying put which obviously outweighed leaving in the end. I think the right decision was made and believe that the leaders at DONU handled the entire situation beautifully while also stirring the conversation that needs to be had in these large conferences. 

Should the power to make major athletic decisions reside in the conference office or should each institution have the authority to make their own decisions based on the advice or input from the conference office? Should universities 1,000+ miles away be able to stop a school from pursuing an objective that can be achieved? To what extent does each university have an independence or the ability to choose what is best for their specific institution (other than whether to leave a conference)?
(Note: these questions can also be applicable to the other major conferences as well... Texas A&M-Florida, Colorado-USC, Miami-Boston College, Texas Tech-West Virginia)

• Plus1 1

“Should the power to make major athletic decisions reside in the conference office or should each institution have the authority to make their own decisions based on the advice or input from the conference office?”

Institutions in every form love to consolidate power into just a few favored hands. Independent thinking is rarely rewarded when groups of any kind are involved.

But the question posed was, “should” the power be here or there. It is always in the best interests of any single person or institution to keep as much power and control as possible. After all, who is really going to have your best interests at heart, you or some outside person?

The best answer is to keep as much power as possible but if you are going to be part of an association, be very sure that the institution really has some respect for you and your opinion and your long-term future. Otherwise, why be associated with them?

In terms of The Red and The Large Fourteen, there is embedded legacy power that exists in the Middle Eastern USA and that is not going to change. Nebraska is never going to be a priority with those folks as The Red is just someone who latched on to them as the Big 12 ship was going down. People know where the real power is and likely will always be and that’s not anywhere West of Interstate 65.

It just keeps coming back that Nebraska was a real power in the old Big 8 (and not just on the football field). Once The Red went to the Big 12 and now the 14, they lost that strong position and are now on a par with the middling powers.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Roundball Shaman said:

It just keeps coming back that Nebraska was a real power in the old Big 8 (and not just on the football field). Once The Red went to the Big 12 and now the 14, they lost that strong position and are now on a par with the middling powers.

I agreed with your entire post. 

Do you envision any way that Nebraska becomes more of an equal in the conference beyond just decades of being present?

Does winning in football change that dynamic more quickly? 

9 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Do you envision any way that Nebraska becomes more of an equal in the conference beyond just decades of being present?

Winning does cure all imo.  National relevance carries power.  We saw that this past week with how ESPN treated us and Ohio State so differently.  Historically there is little difference between us.  Recently there is a massive difference.  

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Winning in football changes everything, and more quickly. "what have you done for me lately" is the guiding factor.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I don't think so.  Most people see the B1G as Ohio State's and Michigan's conference.  They don't see it as Penn State's conference.