Regulation

Ok....most of us realize we need a change at the top so we can get to a reasonable debate on America.  

I want to also preface this by saying I’m not a conservative to the point that hates all regulations and thinks the epa and osha need closed down.  There are reasonable regulations that help everyone and these departments are needed. 

But, I’m starting this thread to discuss this issue. We need REASONABLE regulations.  

I have preached in our company since day one that we WILL abide by OSHA and EPA regulations because I want a company that employees are safe and we aren’t damaging the communities we are in. 

But, today just about sent me over the edge.  

We had an OSHA rep in to do a walk through. We actually invited him in because I want a safe place. 

Just one example of what he came back with.  

We have to have a document for every single piece of equipment in our facility on how to operate it.  With this document, we are required to document every possible way someone can be injured with it.  

We have 7 buildings with everything from specialized production equipment, fork lifts,  yard lifts, normal maintenance equipment, Cnc machines, milling machines, lathes, vehicles, drills, saws.....etc. 

My safety manager is looking at me and saying....how the f#&%?

we also have to have documented how the OSHA rep is to operate the equipment when they walk in.  

we have equipment that takes months to learn how to operate and he said the rep should be able to operate it when he gets here. WTF?

I will continue to preach safety in our company, but this is an example of how there is no way we can cover everything and I feel they are just wanting a way to fine us anytime they want.  

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok....most of us realize we need a change at the top so we can get to a reasonable debate on America.  

I want to also preface this by saying I’m not a conservative to the point that hates all regulations and thinks the epa and osha need closed down.  There are reasonable regulations that help everyone and these departments are needed. 

But, I’m starting this thread to discuss this issue. We need REASONABLE regulations.  

I have preached in our company since day one that we WILL abide by OSHA and EPA regulations because I want a company that employees are safe and we aren’t damaging the communities we are in. 

We had an OSHA rep in to do a walk through. We actually invited him in because I want a safe place. 

We have to have a document for every single piece of equipment in our facility on how to operate it.  With this document, we are required to document every possible way someone can be injured with it.  

We have 7 buildings with everything from specialized production equipment, fork lifts,  yard lifts, normal maintenance equipment, Cnc machines, milling machines, lathes, vehicles, drills, saws.....etc. 

we also have to have documented how the OSHA rep is to operate the equipment when they walk in.  

we have equipment that takes months to learn how to operate and he said the rep should be able to operate it when he gets here. WTF?

I will continue to preach safety in our company, but this is an example of how there is no way we can cover everything and I feel they are just wanting a way to fine us anytime they want.  

I think it's good to hear of examples like this. I know the goal is prevention, but it makes more sense to me to be this meticulous over the equipment that has had the most accidents nationwide, not over every single one. Or over the brand new ones, or the unique ones to your business. Why can't they watch it being operated instead? If it isn't safe to let a new person use it without having months of training then the rep should not be allowed to do so either.

54 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OSHA is f#&%ing evil...and they are clueless.  

With that said, years ago I worked maintenance at a golf course.  We had some really old dudes on staff that were retired and just worked with us for the free golf.

One day my boss calls me over and he goes "Hey, look at that" and he points to one of our old dudes...the old dude has a gas can in his hands and is pouring gas into a mower...with a lit cig in his mouth!  My boss goes "You think that is OSHA approved?"  Hahaha

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think it's good to hear of examples like this. I know the goal is prevention, but it makes more sense to me to be this meticulous over the equipment that has had the most accidents nationwide, not over every single one. Or over the brand new ones, or the unique ones to your business. Why can't they watch it being operated instead? If it isn't safe to let a new person use it without having months of training then the rep should not be allowed to do so either.

I’m not saying it takes months to learn to run it safely.  I’m saying it takes months  to even turn it on without causing major problems.  

If I have an OSHA  rep show up and expect to start turning on machines by simply reading a document, I will stand in front of them and tell them to f#&% off. He could cause more damage than paying the fine.  

maybe that’s what they want.  Just pay the fine. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

In my previous life in biotech it was called Good Manufacturing Practices.  My reaction was: We spend more effort protecting the documents than the drugs.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 years later...

Found this topic a few pages back from the current topics. It seemed to be the best option to pitch my b!^@h.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This where you apply for and manage US DOT numbers.

I had a business partner that saw fit to register our (now my) company for US DOT back in 2002. I never had to deal with it before and I never agreed that we needed DOT as we have never done the things you actually need DOT for. So after receiving 3rd party notices about some required biennial update for the last 7 years, I finally decided it was time to deactivate our unused and unneeded US DOT account. Should be fairly simple, right? :facepalm: Uuuhhh no.

First thing I did was look up our DOT number to discover they have the wrong “Legal Name” for our company. It isn’t currently and never has been what the FMCSA seems to think it is. So anyway, I fill out the 3 page form to deactivate our account following their instructions perfectly. I check the box for “out of business notice” exactly as instructed to do even though we are not out of business. I thought that was weird because they could easily have another box to simply deactivate the account. Then for the Legal business name I list the legal name they have us listed as and I put the actual business name in the DBA (doing business as) spot to be thorough. Well they rejected the filing because they don’t allow you to list an LLC as a DBA. So I just resubmitted the form using their incorrect legal name and listed no DBA. It didn’t feel right but apparently is what our government wants. We’ll see. I give it about a 20% of being accepted this time because the legal name, they are forcing me to use, does not match to our EIN (employer identification number). Why does everything our government touches have to be so f#&%ing hard?

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Found this topic a few pages back from the current topics. It seemed to be the best option to pitch my b!^@h.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This where you apply for and manage US DOT numbers.

I had a business partner that saw fit to register our (now my) company for US DOT back in 2002. I never had to deal with it before and I never agreed that we needed DOT as we have never done the things you actually need DOT for. So after receiving 3rd party notices about some required biennial update for the last 7 years, I finally decided it was time to deactivate our unused and unneeded US DOT account. Should be fairly simple, right? :facepalm: Uuuhhh no.

First thing I did was look up our DOT number to discover they have the wrong “Legal Name” for our company. It isn’t currently and never has been what the FMCSA seems to think it is. So anyway, I fill out the 3 page form to deactivate our account following their instructions perfectly. I check the box for “out of business notice” exactly as instructed to do even though we are not out of business. I thought that was weird because they could easily have another box to simply deactivate the account. Then for the Legal business name I list the legal name they have us listed as and I put the actual business name in the DBA (doing business as) spot to be thorough. Well they rejected the filing because they don’t allow you to list an LLC as a DBA. So I just resubmitted the form using their incorrect legal name and listed no DBA. It didn’t feel right but apparently is what our government wants. We’ll see. I give it about a 20% of being accepted this time because the legal name, they are forcing me to use, does not match to our EIN (employer identification number). Why does everything our government touches have to be so f#&%ing hard?

Was it still listed as "JJ's Dildos and More"?

• Haha 4
16 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

What happens if you just stop doing anything with the account?  At some point, you would think they would realize it’s an inactive account. 

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What happens if you just stop doing anything with the account?  At some point, you would think they would realize it’s an inactive account. 

I’m not sure but we had done nothing with it since the initial application in 2002. I guess you’re supposed to do biennial updates. 3rd party leech vendors began bombarding me with emails and phone calls, warning that I could be fined $1000 per day for failure to file the update. Anyway, I got tired of that BS so I finally looked into deactivating it. My guess is the gubment wasn’t ever going to do anything since they hadn’t in 20 years. 

Funny thing is, it just occurred to me that they don’t have the correct legal company name. Who would they fine if they wanted to? :lol:

22 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m not sure but we had done nothing with it since the initial application in 2002. I guess you’re supposed to do biennial updates. 3rd party leech vendors began bombarding me with emails and phone calls, warning that I could be fined $1000 per day for failure to file the update. Anyway, I got tired of that BS so I finally looked into deactivating it. My guess is the gubment wasn’t ever going to do anything since they hadn’t in 20 years. 

Funny thing is, it just occurred to me that they don’t have the correct legal company name. Who would they fine if they wanted to? :lol:

There my point. What are they going to fine you for?  You’re not operating trucks that need it. 

I constantly get letters in the mail from a third party DOT compliance company out of Texas.  It pisses me off. They do everything they can to look like the DOT and try to scare you into paying them to do something. They go right in the trash. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve got another one here.

Received a mailing from the US Dept of Commerce requesring I complete a 2022 Economic Census. I figured it was trash (unrequired) like most of their questionnaire bulls#!t so threw it away. A couple weeks later I get another mailing and an email for the same thing. I look into it and it’s required and subject to a $5000 fine if not completed. 

I started to fill it out online, got about 10 minutes into and discover I’m going to need my bookkeepers help. They had a link for the “time burden”, clicked it and it said 5.7 hours for my type of business so I’m already in a bad mood. My company is extremely small, I don’t have a “department” I can push it off to. I have to do it. Spent about 4 hours on it today, with my bookkeeper looking up stuff as I went. Then it got completely ridiculous, asking for breakdowns on various things we don’t even track on our books. Some highlights; how many kw hours of electricity did we use, how many kws did we generate, how many did we sell? We don’t produce electricity, we’re a frikken mfg job shop. And then the inventory questions….detailed itemization of things we bought, used, sold etc. It would literally take me weeks/months to come up with the accurate information and much I could never come up with. F the US Dept of Commerce and their anal probing census. I completed the last 4-5 pages of BS questions with “0” and “none” for everything. Last item was remarks. My first sentence was “You guys are on crack”.  I had to submit a sworn statement that the information provided was correct to the best of my knowledge. They can go f#&% themselves.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ve got another one here.

Received a mailing from the US Dept of Commerce requesring I complete a 2022 Economic Census. I figured it was trash (unrequired) like most of their questionnaire bulls#!t so threw it away. A couple weeks later I get another mailing and an email for the same thing. I look into it and it’s required and subject to a $5000 fine if not completed. 

I started to fill it out online, got about 10 minutes into and discover I’m going to need my bookkeepers help. They had a link for the “time burden”, clicked it and it said 5.7 hours for my type of business so I’m already in a bad mood. My company is extremely small, I don’t have a “department” I can push it off to. I have to do it. Spent about 4 hours on it today, with my bookkeeper looking up stuff as I went. Then it got completely ridiculous, asking for breakdowns on various things we don’t even track on our books. Some highlights; how many kw hours of electricity did we use, how many kws did we generate, how many did we sell? We don’t produce electricity, we’re a frikken mfg job shop. And then the inventory questions….detailed itemization of things we bought, used, sold tc. It would literally take me weeks/months to come up with the accurate information and much I could never come up with. F the US Dept of Commerce and their anal probing census. I completed the last 4-5 pages of BS questions with “0” and “none” for everything. Last item was remarks. My first sentence was “You guys are on crack”.  I had to submit a sworn statement that the information provided was correct to the best of my knowledge. They can go f#&% themselves.

Dude, we have been doing that one for years.  I hand that one off to an assistant controller and just hope it gets reported enough that....I don't care.  The one that set me off yesterday was the CAA crap. 

We had our annual healthcare renewal meeting.  We have a great relationship with our agent  for over 20 years.  He gets done doing his normal explanation of our options and we have an increase that we will deal with.  But, then he goes into these two pages of added expenses that we have never heard of.  It turns out, in the 2020 Consolidated appropriations act, there's a transparency in coverage rule.  Sounds nice right?  This one rule is going to cost us about $15,000 per year just to report certain things to the government.  Neither us nor our employees get any better healthcare or benefit from this.  It's just an expense they think we should have.

Here's the thing.  This was passed in 2020.  Nothing has been decided on as far as how a company is even supposed to comply with this.  So, now we have to hire someone to go back 3 years and report things appropriately.....and......we still aren't guaranteed it's going to be exactly what they want.  They might come back and ask for more.....costing us more.

We have such a great healthcare system.  We get screwed from providers through the insurance system.....only to be screwed by people trying to gather information to make sense of how we are getting screwed.  Meanwhile, we are paying many multiple times more than any other developed nation for our healthcare with no better results....and sometimes worse.  

Needless to say, I was pretty hot coming out of that meeting.  But, it's nobody's fault in that meeting.

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Dude, we have been doing that one for years.  I hand that one off to an assistant controller and just hope it gets reported enough that....I don't care.  The one that set me off yesterday was the CAA crap. 

We had our annual healthcare renewal meeting.  We have a great relationship with our agent  for over 20 years.  He gets done doing his normal explanation of our options and we have an increase that we will deal with.  But, then he goes into these two pages of added expenses that we have never heard of.  It turns out, in the 2020 Consolidated appropriations act, there's a transparency in coverage rule.  Sounds nice right?  This one rule is going to cost us about $15,000 per year just to report certain things to the government.  Neither us nor our employees get any better healthcare or benefit from this.  It's just an expense they think we should have.

Here's the thing.  This was passed in 2020.  Nothing has been decided on as far as how a company is even supposed to comply with this.  So, now we have to hire someone to go back 3 years and report things appropriately.....and......we still aren't guaranteed it's going to be exactly what they want.  They might come back and ask for more.....costing us more.

We have such a great healthcare system.  We get screwed from providers through the insurance system.....only to be screwed by people trying to gather information to make sense of how we are getting screwed.  Meanwhile, we are paying many multiple times more than any other developed nation for our healthcare with no better results....and sometimes worse.  

Needless to say, I was pretty hot coming out of that meeting.  But, it's nobody's fault in that meeting.

I solved our insurance problem about 7 years ago……quit offering it as a benefit. Actually nobody here really complained. Gave em a few bucks per hour raise. That isn’t enough to replace it but the employees seemed happy and I’m definitely happier not having to deal with that crap every year.

• Plus1 1