Economy

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And people thought inflation was just a temporary blip on the radar screen.

I may not understand these things too well but I really don’t see a half point doing much of anything to curb inflation. I know theoretically that’s how it’s supposed to work but when you’ve had historically low interest rates for as long as we have, doesn’t seem like half a percent will do diddly squat. I suppose it may keep some poorer people from financing larger purchases they couldn’t afford to begin with but seems like more drastic measures will be needed.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I may not understand these things too well but I really don’t see a half point doing much of anything to curb inflation. I know theoretically that’s how it’s supposed to work but when you’ve had historically low interest rates for as long as we have, doesn’t seem like half a percent will do diddly squat. I suppose it may keep some poorer people from financing larger purchases they couldn’t afford to begin with but seems like more drastic measures will be needed.

I think it has to do with the fact you can't raise it too much and too fast otherwise you could easily plunge us into recession.  The idea is that you want to slow it down so that it's a soft landing.  The expectation is that they are going to raise it 3% this year.  LINK  So, they do it a little at at time.  It's like if your baby is sitting in cold bath water, you're not just going to turn scalding hot water on and pour a bunch in.  You're going to pour a little in at a time till it hits the right temperature.  

Expectations are growing that the U.S. central bank will hike interest rates by a whopping 3 percentage points this year. By sheer number of hikes, that would be the most active Fed since 2005. But by the size and magnitude of each hike, it would be even more notable. The Fed hasn’t adjusted interest rates that much since the 1980s — the last time inflation became a major problem for the financial system.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What’s wrong with the tax cuts?  The government doesn’t have a revenue problem.   Tariffs I can see how people disagree.  

Because they weren’t needed to stimulate the economy like they were sold as. 

When you need to stimulate, use them then. 

The way it is, it’s just added to the problem. Contrary to MAGA belief, the economy wasn’t a major problem in 2016. We had 7 years of decent growth. I said at the time, I would prefer that over fast growth and then a bust. Well, here we are. 

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Contrary to MAGA belief, the economy wasn’t a major problem in 2016.

Why did HRC run in fixing the economy too?  

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because they weren’t needed to stimulate the economy like they were sold as. 

Whether they were needed or not, the government doesn’t have a revenue issue, it has a spending issue.  Having people control a bit more of their own money is a good thing not a bad thing.  If not for Covid, they were on track to bring in more revenue than was lost with the cuts.  Another good thing. 

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

then a bust.

Tax cuts didn’t cause the bust.  

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Whether they were needed or not, the government doesn’t have a revenue issue, it has a spending issue.  Having people control a bit more of their own money is a good thing not a bad thing.  If not for Covid, they were on track to bring in more revenue than was lost with the cuts.  Another good thing. 

My comment has nothing to do with the budget.