Prediction

I think there is a place for all of them. There is a pretty good chance 1 of these guys is going to be injured. That leaves 4 backs. Marlon returns kicks, so does BJax. Glenn is a short yardage rumbler. I have to imagine LJax is going to get some passes out of the backfield because of his time spent at receiver. Wilson is a question mark. Could be a complete beast, could be a complete bust. I think all of those guys could make an impact.

I like all of the predictions that you guys have posted. To be honest with you I don't know what will happen and I can't even predict it. It is a good problem to have, but I could definately see one of these guys leaving. They would definately start at lets say an Iowa State or something like that. :dunno

Link

I-backs know they must protect quarterback

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Aug 04, 2006 - 12:13:09 am CDT

Toss out the 40-yard dash times. Forget the catchy references to thunder and lightning. Try to ignore any comments about speed, power, burst, vision ... you know the list.

For Cody Glenn, none of those things comes to mind when he’s telling you what Nebraska coaches are looking for in a starting running back.

“Probably the No. 1 thing is somebody who’s going to protect No. 13,” said Glenn, a sophomore running back. “They preach that every day. If you’re not going to protect, you’re not going to play.”

Of course, No. 13 is Nebraska’s starting quarterback, Zac Taylor. And you may recall that Taylor absorbed his share of hits — and sacks — last season.

“He got hit too many times,” Glenn said. “We’ve got to do a lot better job.”

Glenn was referring to those returning running backs vying to replace last year’s starter, Cory Ross. There are four of them, plus a newcomer, junior college transfer Kenny Wilson.

But Glenn and fellow sophomore Marlon Lucky shared the No. 1 spot on the post-spring depth chart, according to Glenn. No official depth chart was released.

Glenn and Lucky, however, are statistically the most-experienced backs from last season, as they combined for 88 carries and 260 yards in backup roles to Ross. It makes sense if they’re the front-runners.

But they’ll only stay at the top of the chart if they’re able to block and pick up blitzes, therefore keeping Taylor off his keister.

“Picking up blitzes, knowing which way they’re coming from, all of that stuff,” Lucky said. “If you let (the defenders) go, and they get to the quarterback, that’s not good.”

No, it’s not.

Lucky can’t remember blocking in high school, save for the time he dabbled at tight end.

“I had to catch on to it (at Nebraska),” Lucky said, noting he also struggled in learning the system the first part of his true freshman season.

“I didn’t know the playbook, I didn’t know the plays, didn’t know route-running, footwork ... nothing,” Lucky said. “The playbook was so big, and you’d look through it, and you’d have to keep going and going. Then you go to practice and mess up ... that was stressful.”

It’d stand to reason, then, to expect Wilson — despite those dazzling reports of his running ability and physical prowess — to be a step behind the incumbents during fall camp.

Glenn and Lucky aren’t so sure.

“He’s way ahead of where I was last year,” Lucky said of Wilson. “He’s going to bring his stuff. He’s going to bring his ‘A’ game.”

Said Glenn of the newcomer: “He did great with offseason conditioning stuff. For us to see that and know that he’s ready, that pushes all of us. We’ve got to step it up a little bit.”

Nebraska coaches have been very guarded when discussing the running back situation. Forget asking about a front-runner. Bill Callahan and running backs coach Randy Jordan try their darnedest not to mention a player by name when discussing the race.

“We have a talented group there,” Callahan said. “All of them have unique traits and abilities.”

The group also includes junior Brandon Jackson, who’s recovering from another shoulder surgery, and Leon Jackson, who switched back to the position during the spring, left the team, and then returned.

Ross was Nebraska’s main running back in 2004 and 2005. Will coaches search for another single player to carry the load, or is it possible two or three players will form a “by-committee” approach?

“It’s one of those things if somebody emerges, that’s great,” Jordan said. “But right now, we have no depth chart. We are competing. We want to get these guys competing every day.

“The No. 1 thing is obviously being able to protect the passer, and second thing is to be able to protect the rock, and not necessarily in that order. If you put the ball on the ground and you can’t protect the passer, you’re not going to play.”

So, the participants know what’s expected. What if all five candidates adhere to the rules and offer little separation?

“I guess that’s why the coaches get paid all that money,” Glenn said, “to make these kinds of decisions.”

I still think because of his blocking ability we will see BJack come to the front. He was neck and neck with Cory last year they were saying.

But did any of you see the arms on Cody Glenn during the interview. Looks like AP. It is obvious he has worked very hard.

I still do not think Lucky will be able to pick up the system as quickly as the rest. He had major problems last year and they are adding a boat load of new plays that will require the IBack to block a lot more. I just do not see him doing it.

***SNIP***

“Probably the No. 1 thing is somebody who’s going to protect No. 13,” said Glenn, a sophomore running back. “They preach that every day. If you’re not going to protect, you’re not going to play.”

***SNIP***

But they’ll only stay at the top of the chart if they’re able to block and pick up blitzes, therefore keeping Taylor off his keister.

***SNIP***

I know I've said this before - probably you're tired of hearing it - but the guy that wins the starting job or gets the most playing time is the guy that can pick up the blitz and can prove to be a great safety valve receiver out of the backfield.

All of these guys can run - but in the WCO, that's not only not enough, it isn't the most important thing. The WCO is predicated on the pass acting as a running play; the receiver who can make that happen - both by blitz pick-ups and knowing when to release out of the backfield to catch a pass - is the guy who will play.

Right now, not knowing much about Wilson's ability in that regard, I have to go with the C-Train as the guy. Lucky may be a home-run hitter, but that doesn't count for much if the rest of the offense can't work while he's in there.