Jump to content


With the season coming to an end whom do you think has the best shot at winning the conference crown?


Best Shot at winning the conference title is?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Comish said:

With his professional potential, I doubt if Christo ever reaches the campus.............

I forgot who it was, could have been Matt Sautter, said on 1620 the other day that word is his asking price is above where teams are willing to pay and he is leaning towards going to NU and betting on himself, but you are right he is a top end talent so who knows for sure.

Link to comment

This is a very wide open race between Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska and Iowa. Maryland is in it- but doesn't have much of a chance. 

 

This is going to come down to the final weekend. My take teams with most likely path to the title.

 

Indiana needs 6 wins, they have 2 games against NU and 3 against MI- say they win 3 of those- 1 of 2 against OSU and 2 of 3 against Maryland. Indiana is 13 games above .500 this would put them at 13-15 over .500 A BIT of a tougher schedule than NU. Second toughest schedule of the group. Indiana has the most likely path to the title. Indiana has 3 QUALITY starters with 2 having opponents batting less than .175 against them. Not great with the bats, but timely and efficient hitters.  They will have to stub their toe a bit to lose it. 

 

Nebraska 12 games above .500.  They win 2 or 3 of the 5 games against Indiana and MI. Win 1-2 against OSU and 2 of 3 against NW. That Puts NU at 12-14 games over .500. They have the third hardest schedule of the 4 and a very tough row to hoe. These guys find ways to win. Great fielding team, aggressive on the bases. Adequate pitching, they usually dont walk a bunch of batters. Bullpen was flawless early but seems to be faltering of late.  They cant bunt to save their lives and Schwellenbach seems to be wearing down in the stretch.  Doable, but unlikely. 

 

Michigan is 11 games over .500. Say they win 3 or 4 of the 6 games with Indiana and Nebraska. Then win 2 of 3 against Maryland- puts MI at 12-14 games over .500. Michigan has the toughest schedule of the 4. If they beat Indiana 3 of the 4, they have a chance. Tough schedule- probably doubtful. 

 

Iowa is 7 games over .500 and has by far the easiest schedule of the 4. Against Northwestern, MSU and Illinois. Say they go 6-3 or even 7-2 that puts them at 10-12 games over .500. They have very very low chance. Indiana, NU and MI would need to implode for this to happen. 

 

 

 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
       

INDIANA'S SCHEDULE:

Fri, May 14 at  Michigan    
Sat, May 15 at  Michigan    
Sun, May 16 at  Michigan   ESPN2
Fri, May 21 vs  Nebraska    
Sat, May 22 vs  Nebraska   ESPNU
Sun, May 23 vs  Ohio State    
Mon, May 24 vs  Ohio State    
Fri, May 28 at  Maryland    
Sat, May 29 at  Maryland    
Sun, May 30 at  Maryland
         
       

MICHIGAN'S SCHEDULE:

Fri, May 14 vs  Indiana    
Sat, May 15 vs  Indiana    
Sun, May 16 vs  Indiana   ESPN2
Fri, May 21 vs  Maryland    
Sat, May 22 vs  Maryland    
Sun, May 23 vs  Maryland    
Fri, May 28 at  Nebraska    
Sat, May 29 at  Nebraska    
Sun, May 30 at  Nebraska
         
       

NEBRASKA'S SCHEDULE:

Fri, May 14 vs  Northwestern    
Sat, May 15 vs  Northwestern    
Sun, May 16 vs  Northwestern    
Fri, May 21 at  Indiana    
Sat, May 22 at  Ohio State   Bloomington, IN
Sat, May 22 at  Indiana   ESPNU
Sun, May 23 at  Ohio State   Bloomington, IN
Fri, May 28 vs  Michigan    
Sat, May 29 vs  Michigan    
Sun, May 30 vs  Michigan
         
       

CURRENT CONFERENCE STANDINGS:

Team Record  Win %  GB Overall  Overall %  Streak
 Indiana 23-10 0.697 -  23-10  0.697 W1
 Nebraska 23-11 0.676  0.5  23-11  0.676 W2
 Michigan 23-12 0.657  1  23-12  0.657 L1
 Iowa 21-14 0.600  3  21-14  0.600 L1
 Maryland 21-14 0.600  3  21-14  0.600 W2
 Ohio State 17-14 0.548  5  17-14  0.548 L1
 Rutgers 17-17 0.500  6.5  17-17  0.500 L4
 Illinois 16-18 0.471  7.5  16-18  0.471 L2
 Northwestern 12-16 0.429  8.5  12-16  0.429 L5
 Penn State 13-20 0.394  10  13-20  0.394 W1
 Michigan State 13-22 0.371  11  13-22  0.371 W1
 Purdue 11-20 0.355  11  11-20  0.355 W1
 Minnesota 4-26 0.133  17.5    4-26  0.133 L13
         
        B1G is turning into a very interesting race indeed. Poor Minnesota and their 4 wins. Kind of feel for them if I'm honest.
     
  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

I think we win 7 games at get to 30.  We obviously need to take care of business this weekend and get the sweep.  OSU is going to be interesting because they beat us early, but they haven't had as good of season.

 

Michigan is the one that is the most interesting.  They haven't played us or Indiana.  So, is their record that good because they have avoided those two teams till now?

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Michigan has 2 of the top 6 pitchers in the league. They are no joke. They also have the highest batting avg 

 

For NU to sweep Northwestern NU that may be a tall order. Indiana and Michigan didnt BUT NW has lost 5 in a row and havent played in 18 days. That may help. A sweep would be huge. NU does that and most likely back in first with Indiana and MI playing this weekend

Link to comment

49 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Michigan has 2 of the top 6 pitchers in the league. They are no joke. They also have the highest batting avg 

 

For NU to sweep Northwestern NU that may be a tall order. Indiana and Michigan didnt BUT NW has lost 5 in a row and havent played in 18 days. That may help. A sweep would be huge. NU does that and most likely back in first with Indiana and MI playing this weekend

I'm not saying they are a joke.  They are obviously a good baseball team.  But, a lot will be learned about all three teams over the next couple weeks.  Is Michigan's pitching really the best?  Or, will they be exposed when playing Indiana and Nebraska?  Will their batters be as successful against the best teams in the league?

 

It's going to get interesting.

Link to comment

Yes it will. Plan on being there Friday and Sunday.

 

If NU can find a way to sweep a rusty NW team- then 30 wins is very doable and that probably wins the league. Going 3-2 against Michigan/Indiana and Splitting against OSU. 

 

Maryland may be the kicker. No one has swept them, pretty fair team. Michigan and Indiana play Series against Maryland- we have Northwestern. 

Link to comment

On 4/28/2021 at 12:37 PM, Loebarth said:

Looking at the remaining schedule, Iowa's road to 30 wins is by far the easiest path. Personally I have them going 12-3 at worst over their last 15. Nebraska, Indiana and Michigan all have to play one another over the same stretch so I ask, who you believe wins the title and why?

 

Edit: I chose Michigan... as I believe their path is less daunting than Nebraska's or Indiana's and Iowa, even if they go 12-3 still is only at 30 wins. I think Michigan reaches 32 wins.

Iowa has already lost 5 games so far during this stretch. With 6 more to play- which means they will most likely double up your worst case scenario of 3 losses. What happened?

Link to comment
On 4/28/2021 at 12:37 PM, Loebarth said:

Looking at the remaining schedule, Iowa's road to 30 wins is by far the easiest path. Personally I have them going 12-3 at worst over their last 15. Nebraska, Indiana and Michigan all have to play one another over the same stretch so I ask, who you believe wins the title and why?

 

Edit: I chose Michigan... as I believe their path is less daunting than Nebraska's or Indiana's and Iowa, even if they go 12-3 still is only at 30 wins. I think Michigan reaches 32 wins.

You had Iowa going 12-3 at WORST over their last 15 games. They have 23 wins now with 3 left- they are going to fall well short of 30. 

Iowa is 5-7 over their last 12 with 3 games to go- wow you missed that one by a country mile. 

 

You had Michigan sweeping Maryland. Maryland won the series 2-1. Michigan is at 26-15 with 3 games left with NU- looks like they fall well short of your predicted 32 wins. 

 

Make sure you stay away from the betting windows when it comes to BIG baseball- because your take on the conference is way off it seems. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
58 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

You had Iowa going 12-3 at WORST over their last 15 games. They have 23 wins now with 3 left- they are going to fall well short of 30. 

Iowa is 5-7 over their last 12 with 3 games to go- wow you missed that one by a country mile. 

 

You had Michigan sweeping Maryland. Maryland won the series 2-1. Michigan is at 26-15 with 3 games left with NU- looks like they fall well short of your predicted 32 wins. 

 

Make sure you stay away from the betting windows when it comes to BIG baseball- because your take on the conference is way off it seems. 

lmao.. i don't bet and now you know why :) :facepalm: :P

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...