Does Defense Win Championships

Offense puts butts in the seats.

Defense wins championships. It's simple. you need Offense, true. But without D, you'll never be great. Look at Tech. That's why they'll never win anything significant, such as a Conference or NAtional Championship. They don't have a D. And their offense is so efficient, their D is on the field WAY too much, which means they'll never be able to recruit that well.

My opinion defense wins championships. When you look at the great defensive teams whether pro or college not only do they stop the other offense but they also put points on the board. Give me a great defense with the ability to put points on the board or place the offense in scoring position any day. After that the offense can drop in a few field goals and go home.

:spooners IF IT WERENT FOR THE BLACK SHIRTS WE WOULDNT HAVE ANY NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, LOOK BACK AT ERIC'S LAST YEAR HE WAS THE MAN AND WE HAD A PRETTY GOOD TEAM BUT ONE THING WAS MISSING IT WAS OUR RUN D WE LET THE BUFFS PUT 52 POINTS OR MORE ON US AND OUR O COULDNT KEEP UP THEN WE GO THE THE ROSE BOWL AND COULDN'T STOP NO ONE

:spooners IF IT WERENT FOR THE BLACK SHIRTS WE WOULDNT HAVE ANY NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, LOOK BACK AT ERIC'S LAST YEAR HE WAS THE MAN AND WE HAD A PRETTY GOOD TEAM BUT ONE THING WAS MISSING IT WAS OUR RUN D WE LET THE BUFFS PUT 52 POINTS OR MORE ON US AND OUR O COULDNT KEEP UP THEN WE GO THE THE ROSE BOWL AND COULDN'T STOP NO ONE

thank you CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK!

If I were to build a team, I would want a great D with an above average O. The defense keeps the scoring low which takes pressure off the offense. The O then doesn't have to worry about marching up and down the field each time they just need a couple of scoring drives. In my opinion, its a lot easier for an average offense to make a big play then having an average defense making a big play.

Good post!!! I agree that your defense needs to stop people and I've always believed that. If you don't have a good defense to stop the other offense then every time your offense comes out they have to score!!! That's a lot of pressure on a team!!!! :blink:

I'd have to disagree, good defense wins championships. Yes, you have to be able to put some points up, but pretty much every single team that has won a national title or super bowl plays good, if not great defense. Look at OU in 2000, scored 13 points in the championship game and won by 11. Last year, Texas had a suffocating defense for most of the year. They played a team with a great offense, and a so-so defense. The result speaks for itself. That and Vince Young ;)

I think the most interesting and ironic part of this is that Cally could have a top 5 defense this year!

It is also interesting that he got shellacked in the Super Bowl with the best offense in the NFL against the best D.

I really don't know about any of this except...

It's almost here! I can't wait! Look out NU opponents, this year could be one great ride for NU!!!!!!

Here are some recent examples that i could think of. Rose Bowl, USC vs. Texas, USC had a 4th and 1. Texas D stopped em. if the D didnt stop them, USC wins. another USC example, USC vs Notre Dame, 2005. 4th down, Leinart audibles to a pass and makes a long completion. Notre Dame's lack of defense lost that game for them.

Defense will put you in position to win, but in the end, its all about who scored the most points.