NU and the Red Zone

lo country

Posted some info in the threads as it concerns NU and our Red Zone woes.  To put it simply, we are horrific at best.  The obvious reason is our kicking game.  OL play is woefully inadequate and the Held has got to recruit or DEVELOP the RB room......It is a testament to the defense that our losses have not been complete blowouts.  It's hard to dispute the stats and the on field results.  I blame Frost a lot (obviously), but throw in the OL play, horrific FG game and year 3 with a "who the hell is our RB rotation" and this offense is a complete mess.  I'd be looking at hiring a big time OC and getting rid of Held, Austin and Lubbick. And for the apologists, yes we are throwing up great numbers under Frost.  Yes we are breaking offensive records, but stats don't lie.  Regardless of our red zone woes or W-L record.  If Frost stays and pans out (I truly hope he does), Trev needs to give him the Solich offer.  The O staff has to go.  

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/a-case-study-on-nebraskas-struggles-in-the-red-zone-and-what-the-huskers-say/article_701b3c9e-32c0-55a2-9689-3ae1e32504d0.html

Some quotes that really standout:

Their red zone touchdown rate in three FBS games this year stands at 45.5% (five touchdowns on 11 red zone trips), which is No. 11 in the Big Ten and No. 99 nationally. Their overall scoring rate of 63.6% is No. 106 nationally.

The overall number, of course, blends in Nebraska’s place-kicking issues — Culp is 3-for-8 on field-goal attempts and has missed five of his last six — with the offense’s inability to turn red zone trips into touchdowns consistently.

Nebraska is only scoring one touchdown for every 120.3 yards of offense so far this season, which is No. 103 in the country. It checks in at No. 106 in yards of offense required per point scored at 16.3.

• Plus1 4

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

Posted some info in the threads as it concerns NU and our Red Zone woes.  To put it simply, we are horrific at best.  The obvious reason is our kicking game.  OL play is woefully inadequate and the Held has got to recruit or DEVELOP the RB room......It is a testament to the defense that our losses have not been complete blowouts.  It's hard to dispute the stats and the on field results.  I blame Frost a lot (obviously), but throw in the OL play, horrific FG game and year 3 with a "who the hell is our RB rotation" and this offense is a complete mess.  I'd be looking at hiring a big time OC and getting rid of Held, Austin and Lubbick. And for the apologists, yes we are throwing up great numbers under Frost.  Yes we are breaking offensive records, but stats don't lie.  Regardless of our red zone woes or W-L record.  If Frost stays and pans out (I truly hope he does), Trev needs to give him the Solich offer.  The O staff has to go.  

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/a-case-study-on-nebraskas-struggles-in-the-red-zone-and-what-the-huskers-say/article_701b3c9e-32c0-55a2-9689-3ae1e32504d0.html

Some quotes that really standout:

Their red zone touchdown rate in three FBS games this year stands at 45.5% (five touchdowns on 11 red zone trips), which is No. 11 in the Big Ten and No. 99 nationally. Their overall scoring rate of 63.6% is No. 106 nationally.

The overall number, of course, blends in Nebraska’s place-kicking issues — Culp is 3-for-8 on field-goal attempts and has missed five of his last six — with the offense’s inability to turn red zone trips into touchdowns consistently.

Nebraska is only scoring one touchdown for every 120.3 yards of offense so far this season, which is No. 103 in the country. It checks in at No. 106 in yards of offense required per point scored at 16.3.

We definitely aren't good in the red zone... However the national ranking are crap imo.  Very few teams have already played a top 5 and a top 20 team.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

We definitely aren't good in the red zone... However the national ranking are crap imo.  Very few teams have already played a top 5 and a top 20 team.

We have played a tough schedule, but OU is ranked 26 in total D and MSU 82.  We just have a complete inability to get in.  FG kicking has killed us this year.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

We have played a tough schedule, but OU is ranked 26 in total D and MSU 82.  We just have a complete inability to get in.  FG kicking has killed us this year.

Like I said we aren't good but we aren't as bad as the the rankings posted would suggest. 

MSU at 82 in total D doesn't sound right.  They are holding opponents to less than 20ppg through 4 games.  They may give up yards between the 20s but they don't allow many points.

4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Like I said we aren't good but we aren't as bad as the the rankings posted would suggest. 

MSU at 82 in total D doesn't sound right.  They are holding opponents to less than 20ppg through 4 games.  They may give up yards between the 20s but they don't allow many points.

I was surprised by both TBH.  I figured OU would be lower and MSU would be higher. OU has given up 8 TD's to MSU's 9 and 296 YPG to 396.

NU is 50 (thought we'd be higher) 10 TD's and 327 YPG.

I feel like we are watching 2009 to a degree.  I rock solid, potentially great defense and an offense that can't get out of it's own way.  That defensive performance against MSU was amazing.  

• Plus1 1

Frost knows we're not as efficient as we have to be.

If you haven't seen Frost's multitude of comments today, he's well aware the OL is holding is back from productivity and efficiency standpoints.

The RB room is fine.  Rahmir could average 100 yards/game if the OL could open creases.  Rahmir is a sound blocker too.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Frost knows we're not as efficient as we have to be.

If you haven't seen Frost's multitude of comments today, he's well aware the OL is holding is back from productivity and efficiency standpoints.

The RB room is fine.  Rahmir could average 100 yards/game if the OL could open creases.  Rahmir is a sound blocker too.

I watched it.  TBH, all I heard was blah, blah, blah.  The same crap after everyone of our 23 previous losses.  He just seems more pi$$ed now.  No solutions.  Just more angry.  And I can't blame him.  And IMHO, the only way to fix it is move on from some of the O staff.  When Frost says he is going to help with the OL, it takes him away from the CEO mode and is helping to coach an area where he has his kids and his guy coaching.  Frost is spread to this as it is.  Needs to find assistance that can handle their business.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, lo country said:

I watched it.  TBH, all I heard was blah, blah, blah.  The same crap after everyone of our 23 previous losses.  He just seems more pi$$ed now.  No solutions.  Just more angry.  And I can't blame him.  And IMHO, the only way to fix it is move on from some of the O staff.  When Frost says he is going to help with the OL, it takes him away from the CEO mode and is helping to coach an area where he has his kids and his guy coaching.  Frost is spread to this as it is.  Needs to find assistance that can handle their business.

Tom Osborne once told Bo Pelini he should take over coaching special teams.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

True but even fewer teams have lost to Illinois.

Many teams struggle week 1...  

My point is you guys who continue to post negative crap are reaching for more proof that we aren't good.  It's a pretty open book who we are.  Data can be cherry picked both ways but it doesn't mean anything.  We have a bad Oline and bad special teams.  Those both result in bad red zone performance.  Everyone in the nation knows this who has paid any attention to Nebraska.  That said, we are a football team that is a few plays away from being ranked really well.  Would it be deserved?  Nope, but that's how close we are to satisfying 90% of the fan base.  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Many teams struggle week 1...  

My point is you guys who continue to post negative crap are reaching for more proof that we aren't good.  It's a pretty open book who we are.  Data can be cherry picked both ways but it doesn't mean anything.  We have a bad Oline and bad special teams.  Those both result in bad red zone performance.  Everyone in the nation knows this who has paid any attention to Nebraska.  That said, we are a football team that is a few plays away from being ranked really well.  Would it be deserved?  Nope, but that's how close we are to satisfying 90% of the fan base.  

It’s not negative crap.  It’s data that shows we have some serious issues and have for 4 years.  We are 5-15 in games closer than one score.  Have yet to win an OT game under Frost.  Taking emotions and “cherry picking”  there is nothing 4 years of data that shows we can make those few plays to be ranked.  And that’s concerning.  We have 20 games by one score or less and have one 25%.  Even if we were average, we’d have won 5 more......It is the “little” things, but in year 4 we are still missing the little things ie punting to the wrong guy......Honestly, how does that happen.  How do we not do the basics of running towards where the ball is vs where it should be.  Holding your lane. That’s JR High stuff....and we still can’t get it right. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2