What will it take?

What do you think it's going to take for one of these RB's to really grab the starting spot? I'm not sure, whether it's in practice or games. I think a fair way of doing it might be just trying to get all 4 equal carries in the first 2 games and see who can make the most of their playing time. I really don't know how well a 4 RB system will work all year, I mean we need to use them when they are needed but as far as spliting up carries 4 equals ways for the whole season doesn't seem possible or smart. How do you think the RB battle will turn out? It's hard spliting up time fairly for 4 guys who have all been impressive in their own rights, what do you think?

Well most RBs need about 20 reps to get warm and tenacious. So that being said it will most likely be someone who knows the most which could be anyone except Kenny Wilson. Not saying Wilson wont get time just that he doesnt know the playbook as good at this point. At least I dont think he does....

short n sweet : Lucky is the starter IMO

If I was the coach, I would give them each a couple of carries in the first half and who ever seemed to prevail, would then get more carries as the game goes on. However, I am not the coach, so it will be interesting to watch as Callahan and the other coaches try to sort this all out. I would not be against seeing a different leading rusher every game though either.

I think it's probably already decided, but just not for us or anybody else to know right now. Including the running backs. Right now the competition is so fierce, why ruin it by naming a starter and irritating three quality backs. As far as "what will it take?" I think Coach Jordan has already addressed that: who can protect the passer, and who is going to take care of the ball.

My guess: Wilson. As much as I hate to just jump on the new kid in town, there's no reason that he should even be equal to these other guys if learning the playbook was an issue. Obviously, he's picked it up. But Eric is right. It will also depend on the scheme and package that we go into each game with.

i really don't think cally has seen seperation.......as many have said before, all 4 bring something a little different to the table.....rb by committee and situational plays......i still say wilson is gonna have to learn the playbook to see more action, if he truly is the best of the bunch, he will have to work up to more than situational spot time in the backfield......it will take him 3-4 games to get a real handle on all his responsibilities.......Glenn and Lucky will start....

hunter

I liked Randy Jordan's comments about run-blocking in that if you can't run-block you probably won't play. So if Lucky is our #1 back and he is in it might be obvious to the defense we are going to run, and conversely if we take him out we are probably going to pass. This is not something that will be noticeable in the first game but if we do this and become predictable that wouldn't be good. Just a thought, what do you guys think?

Certainly, all four are not going to be able to play, there aren't enough carries available. To me, its gonna make sense for someone(s) to redshirt. Glenn and Lucky have redshirts available, so why waste'em? If the competetion is this close, you have to at least try and redshirt at least one guy. It just does not make sense to waste another year with Marlon or whoever getting 20 or so carries all year. Any thoughts here????

I don't know what to say to be honest!!! Between all these backs they all bring something unique to the table. I honestly like Lucky quite a bit because of his ability to run outside the tackle, but that being said there is nothing like running the ball down the middle and ramming it down a linebackers throat!!!! :box

I'd be surprised if there were enough carries to keep everyone happy. I like that there will probably be an emphasis on the run this year, but we've got some excellent receivers and a talented qb to use also. There usually weren't enough carries for 4 rb's in the option system...Which is why we should bring it back!!! Just kidding.

I can see three getting used on a regular basis. NFL teams and coaches usually use 3 backs in the course of a game. The starter, the second string guy who's a little different runner to complement the first (power and finesse or vice versa) and then there's the 3rd down back or the short yardage back, whichever isn't covered by the first two. I can see three guys getting significant time but probably not four.