Mood After Dublin - How Many Wins?

Mood After Dublin - How Many Wins?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Regular Season Wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/2022 at 04:59 AM

21 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I was 5-7 as well.  Actually, still am.  The part that cracks me up is how the 5-7 crowd gets a pretty negative view months ago [by that 8-4, 7-5], and now these same folks state we can only win maybe 2-3 games.  

I will say this, if any "prediction" was made by an ESPN guy, you wouldn't see that guy who said Nebraska would go 8-4 to revise it during the next week and state that now they will go 2-10.  In this, "the greatest fans on earth" become comical.  :-)

How rational are we humans though! That's largely an emotional shift. I would add this, in general us online folks are less optimistic and often more critical (Including me). Very few of the people I've spoken with in person that had us winning int the 7-10 range have changed their predictions to 2-3. Casual observers typically are a bit more optimistic. The optimism has took a hit for sure though across the board. A majority are thinking around five wins. That's the camp I'm in at present. A few 6-7 and a few 3-4. A minority think eight or more. 

Say I worked for you. There's an issue I'm critical about. It's sort of rough to digest. Yet, in my mind loyalty is being upfront with you. To provide you accurate information to the very best of my knowledge in a professional, respectful way. That's my SOP. Another person makes things more palatable. Doesn't disclose things for fear of disappointing. Avoids addressing things and conflict. Keeps on offering candy coated turds. Which is demonstrating to you loyalty?   

Your point is well taken. It legitimately has it's merits. Support the team! With that though comes accountability. Coaches want this out of their players. Accountability for themselves and each other. Shouldn't the fans hold the head coach,  players and anyone else integral to the success of their team accountable too? That doesn't exclude fans. We can empathize and support each other in that regard as well.  

People I think are mostly exhausted. Supporting their team has taken it's toll on us in a variety of ways over the years. We've expended a lot of emotional capital. We just haven't had many reasons to celebrate or feel good about something dear to us. We gain confidence and enthusiasm only to be punished again and again on a continuum for it. Let down what sometimes feels like might be infinite. Doubt creeps in. Everything becomes questioned. Conviction takes a hit.  

In a way, coaching changes or the prospect of them occurring almost become more promising than the games...And can we really blame the faithful? It's like purchasing a lottery ticket. There's hope. We can dream. The prospect of being winners again. At least there's that. 

We are tired of being in limbo absent a real sense of going in the right direction and at least making progress. Everyone deals with it all differently.

At this point HCSF will do whatever is necessary to lose winnable games.  It's his M.O.  I was cautiously optimistic prior to the season, but at this point, after what I saw against an at best mediocre Northwestern squad, I'm not seeing more than a couple wins this season.  And if they happen to lose either of the next couple games, the wheels will have completely come off the cart and you'll see a lot of names hit the transfer portal which will force Trev to take drastic action.  Which to be honest, may be the best option to try and recover some portion of the season under an interim coach.  With Scott at the helm I see only 2 wins, and major drama.  

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, M.A. said:

How rational are we humans though! That's largely an emotional shift. I would add this, in general us online folks are less optimistic and often more critical (Including me). Very few of the people I've spoken with in person that had us winning int the 7-10 range have changed their predictions to 2-3. Casual observers typically are a bit more optimistic. The optimism has took a hit for sure though across the board. A majority are thinking around five wins. That's the camp I'm in at present. A few 6-7 and a few 3-4. A minority think eight or more. 

Say I worked for you. There's an issue I'm critical about. It's sort of rough to digest. Yet, in my mind loyalty is being upfront with you. To provide you accurate information to the very best of my knowledge in a professional, respectful way. That's my SOP. Another person makes things more palatable. Doesn't disclose things for fear of disappointing. Avoids addressing things and conflict. Keeps on offering candy coated turds. Which is demonstrating to you loyalty?   

Your point is well taken. It legitimately has it's merits. Support the team! With that though comes accountability. Coaches want this out of their players. Accountability for themselves and each other. Shouldn't the fans hold the head coach,  players and anyone else integral to the success of their team accountable too? That doesn't exclude fans. We can empathize and support each other in that regard as well.  

People I think are mostly exhausted. Supporting their team has taken it's toll on us in a variety of ways over the years. We've expended a lot of emotional capital. We just haven't had many reasons to celebrate or feel good about something dear to us. We gain confidence and enthusiasm only to be punished again and again on a continuum for it. Let down what sometimes feels like might be infinite. Doubt creeps in. Everything becomes questioned. Conviction takes a hit.  

In a way, coaching changes or the prospect of them occurring almost become more promising than the games...And can we really blame the faithful? It's like purchasing a lottery ticket. There's hope. We can dream. The prospect of being winners again. At least there's that. 

We are tired of being in limbo absent a real sense of going in the right direction and at least making progress. Everyone deals with it all differently.

Enjoyed your thoughts @M.A..  I assume that took some time to share, wanted to express gratitude for the interaction.

• Thanks 1