Transfers & jucos

NUpolo8

With it becoming fairly certain that Nebraska is accepting ASU's qb in with open arms, I have a few things on my mind.

This is the third QB in a row that Callahan and NU has taken to be dropped in at the starter's role. Taylor last year, Hildebrand to replace other droputs and recruits, and now him. In addition, our most promising overall recruit, Purify, is also a transfer. While there is no questioning of Taylor's or the other's ability, I wonder if this is the "correct " way.

One of the numerous things that bother me about schools like KSU, Fla. St., Penn St., or more recently, Cal, is that they are bringing in many Juco's and transfers to expidite the process along. While this helps ease the coaches system change, and keeps their record somewhat respectable (so they can continue to work), I feel you are only furthering the notion that your program is simply a conduit for NFL scouts. Not a college, a program steeped in tradition, not an atmosphere, essesntially what makes rooting for your school special.

I am probably jumping the gun here, and I am incredibly biased having a degree from NU, but I always thought we as a school were above that. I for one, want to see players sign, learn through the system, get handed the reins and flourish. Essentially, I want the learning process to take place in these young men just like they would they were traditional students learning about life inside and outside of the campus. Of course, while I'm at it, I want 10 million dollars in my bank account and my faucet to pour Fat Tire, but that's besides the point. I know Callahan is just getting started, and he has a looong way to go and he is learning the process with his players, but I do not want us to be another school that borrows jucos and lifts transfers for its marquee positions and "stars".

Good points, but what would you rather have? A team that, with a young qb struggles, or a team that is set at the position, and has a shot at the nc? This is how I look at next years team. He is not just coming here to show off for the scouts, but to win football games, and learn from a great offensive mastermind. You mentioned Fla. State. Well they have won two nc's in the past 12 years, but lately have had to develop young qb's into their system. Look at the dropoff they have had over the past few years. Keller is not really a "dropout". He was a player who unfortunately for himself went down last year, and his backup, against weak competition, played great and won over his teammates. Does this make Keller a loser? No, it's just that he wasn't the last qb they sw play. Carpenter is fresh in the other players minds right now, and they want him to be the starter. Personally, I am stocked that we landed a player of this calliber. It gives Witt, and Hildebrand more time to learn the offense, and sets us up for years to come. We were worried about our qb situation. Now, we shouldn't have any doubt in our minds for 4 or 5 years. I can't wait to see Keller run out of the tunnel, and lead us to a lot of wins.

There are several factors to consider. One of which is our lack of patience to get back on the winning track. If BC is going to build NU back to the glory days he needs to be able to stick around long enough for that to happen. Bringing in JUCO talent is a way to help ensure that can happen. Besides, how many of these JUCO kids come out of highschool with issues in their grades or home life. 2 years of JUCO can help a kid mature and get back on track. Call it a second chance. I've recieved second chances and have appreciated all of them. How many of these kids are convinced in HS that they can't make it at a major college because of grades or lack of talent. The JUCO system performs a role in academics as well as athletics. I say bring'm on.

The flip side is how the Pro game is effecting the college game. How many top college players will leave school this year with eligibility left to go play pro ball? All of these things must be considered. All of us would like to have home grown kids going through the system from start to finish but that's less likely every year.

I completely disagree. Remember Frost, Rozier, Demorrio. Nebraska has had to dip into that well before as does most football programs. Keller was forced out, Taylor was the victim of a coaching change, other players had a different set of circumstances. Next...

For me, the important thing is the football players character. Over the years Nebraska biggest "black eye" was Lawrence Phillips. No one cared if he was a 4 year player or a JUCO transfer. Everybody commented on his criminal behavior being excused so he could play football.

I'm not close enough to the program to know for sure, but it seems to me that BC demands talented players WITH good character. When BC first came to Lincoln I believe one of the most talented players on the NU team was Ricky Incognito. BUT, Ricky had some personnality issues (anger mismanagment?) that could / would lead to embarrassing problems. SO, I believe that Incognito was benched and left the program. BC was willing to give up talent to keep up standards.

There are some college programs that seem to attract talented players WITHOUT any concern about their character. OU had this problem when Barry Switzer was coaching there. Bob Stoops has cleaned up the show. There is a website called the FSU Criminols (instead of Seminols). We must never allow our desire to win overrule our high standards of ethical behavior. That is much more important that JUCO vs 4 or 5 year players.

JUCOs are fully necessary as a stop-gap for recruits. I think that as BC continues to recruit a higher and higher percentage of the signees will be traditional 4 year recruits. He is only entering his 3rd year here and NU fans and players don't want to wait around for wins.

I may also point out that just a few weeks ago we had a standard 4 year highly touted recruit for QB. They will be the top priority, but JUCOs will be needed to fill in.

Callahan knows he has to win now, so he is getting the players that will help him win now. Us as fans won't wait around for five years for him to win. This is Nebraska. As long as he doesn't add criminals to the team, or pay off players, I don't care if he wins with a 10th year senior who has been hurt all his career, or a true freshman who is the best player at his position.

I don't mind us brining in JUCO's or transfers, just as long as they fill an area of need.

Well said... :clap

As soon as this program returns to the status of an annual top ten team, then we'll see less activity/aggressiveness to go after experienced JUCO players.

K-State has a rep for bringing aboard tons of JUCO's each year, and they can keep that rep for all I care.

I can see a recruit double thinking when he hears "They will bring JUCO's in and you wont see the promised early playing time as you've been told". :blink: Yeah, that's kind of dark, but a reality.

I don't mind us brining in JUCO's or transfers, just as long as they fill an area of need.

Well said... :clap

As soon as this program returns to the status of an annual top ten team, then we'll see less activity/aggressiveness to go after experienced JUCO players.

K-State has a rep for bringing aboard tons of JUCO's each year, and they can keep that rep for all I care.

I can see a recruit double thinking when he hears "They will bring JUCO's in and you wont see the promised early playing time as you've been told". :blink: Yeah, that's kind of dark, but a reality.

It's not just the JUCOs. The coaches promise the kids the stars to get their committment then have to "unrecruit" them by bringing them down to Earth by stating the fact there may be more experienced players ahead of them and the recruit still has to learn the system. Nature of the game.

We need more qb's right now I think BC is taking them any way he can get them, hopefully the juco trend ends soon.

I think the amount of juco's we take each year will go down, but I think we will always bring in the top juco's each year, because Callahan is getting a good rep for finding thses guys before anyone else does. Still though, I think the amount will go down, but not the talent of the players.