• You cannot reply to this topic
495 replies to this topic

#451 B.B. Hemingway

Head Coach

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

Thanks fellas. I'll have to check a few of those out. One of my favorite times in American history to read about. Easy to appreciate all of their efforts, and courage (especially Franklin.... dude did everything).

8gqZnND.jpg d2mEzH3.png6TFT3ZH.pngSoZtBNE.png

"I set my own standards. I inherit nothing. I stand at the end of no tradition. I may, perhaps, stand at the beginning of one." - The Fountainhead

--NoSleepSquad--
--ShootersShoot--

--I'mTheGOAT--

#452 beorach

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:11 AM

I just finished Skagboys by Irvine Welsh.  I have read a lot of his stuff but never Trainspotting (though I loved the film).  I think I had read one of his books before seeing it, too, but now I'm not sure I want to read it because of having seen it and already getting this prequel of sorts read.  Marabou Stork Nightmares and Crime were probably my favorites aside from the latest.  The Scottish/British slang takes some patience but I think it adds something.  On a recommendation from some fantasy authors, I'm going to start Diana Gabaldon's Outlander today.  I placed a hold on it several months ago and am sure there's still a line so I probably won't even get to finish it before it's due and they don't allow you to renew in that circumstance.

NEB0229-art_1_grande.jpg?v=1364574669

#453 beorach

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:14 AM

About halfway through the forth (last) book in the Hyperion Cantos.  Really have enjoying the series and sad to be near the end.  Science fiction meets mystery and religion (kinda).  

The first book was published in the late '80s and the author (Dan Simmons) essentially predicts the "internet or world wide web."  It's much different in the books but it's about interconnected people/worlds/information/ultimate intelligence.  

http://en.wikipedia....Hyperion_Cantos

Orson Scott Card sort of did that in Ender's Game, too, but I've never tried to look up whether any one person deserves the credit.  I read something recently that gave William Gibson credit for coining the term, cyberspace.

#454 beorach

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:18 AM

open_bible.jpg

I've been working my way through the good book for the past couple months.  I'm a few pages away from Psalms right now.  

Well, how is it?!!

For violence, the Old Testament makes Medal of Honor video game look like a Disney movie.   Much like the Middle East today, in fact.   :lol:

Ha! The violence is abundant in the good book, for sure....

Yeah.  I guess the violence stands out because I didn't remember how much killing the Jews did back in the Old Testament days.  Life was pretty brutal back then.  

I guess it goes without saying that there's a lot more in the bible than violence.  I'm looking forward to reading the prophets following psalms/proverbs and then getting into the new testament.  

Slaughtering villages in the name of the Lord. Seems a little hypocritical of them, but as you said, there is much more to the bible than that (Revelation is terrifying!)

Pardon more necros but I think it's important to consider that much of the world isn't so advanced as we such that it's fair to judge them for being removed, to a lesser extent, from Biblical times.  Couple that with how central violence is to our interactions within our spheres of influence and humanity's plight in the world makes more sense.

#455 B.B. Hemingway

Head Coach

• Members2
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

open_bible.jpg

I've been working my way through the good book for the past couple months.  I'm a few pages away from Psalms right now.  

Well, how is it?!!

For violence, the Old Testament makes Medal of Honor video game look like a Disney movie.   Much like the Middle East today, in fact.   :lol:

Ha! The violence is abundant in the good book, for sure....

Yeah.  I guess the violence stands out because I didn't remember how much killing the Jews did back in the Old Testament days.  Life was pretty brutal back then.  

I guess it goes without saying that there's a lot more in the bible than violence.  I'm looking forward to reading the prophets following psalms/proverbs and then getting into the new testament.  

Slaughtering villages in the name of the Lord. Seems a little hypocritical of them, but as you said, there is much more to the bible than that (Revelation is terrifying!)

Pardon more necros but I think it's important to consider that much of the world isn't so advanced as we such that it's fair to judge them for being removed, to a lesser extent, from Biblical times.  Couple that with how central violence is to our interactions within our spheres of influence and humanity's plight in the world makes more sense.

So.... What book ya readin'?

"I set my own standards. I inherit nothing. I stand at the end of no tradition. I may, perhaps, stand at the beginning of one." - The Fountainhead

--NoSleepSquad--
--ShootersShoot--

--I'mTheGOAT--

#456 T_O_Bull

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

Private - London by James Patterson
Excellent Throne reading, short chapters, quickly paced.
T_O_B
The Captain's on Deck

#457 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,365 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

nGYiJHS.jpg

c7U8vFB.png                          sIg8nr1.png                           Vsx5CoZ.png

#458 ColoNoCoHusker

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

Bought these a few years ago when they were banned in Arizona (Tucson School District). Finally got around to reading them after they were taken of the banned list...

slide_255005_1606402_free.jpg

Read this one a loooonnng time ago; reading again...

slide_255005_1606426_free.jpg

#459 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,490 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

Game_of_thrones.jpeg

2wroncj.jpg#RunTheDamnBall  2wrfc5h.jpg

EAT THE RICH

#460 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

7582366.JPG

"Praying for Slack: A Marine Corps Tank Commander in Viet Nam" by Robert E. Peavey.  

===============================================================  

Anyone here ever heard of, or read, this book?   A friend of mine recommended it to me today.  He was in some of the battles detailed in this book.  Says the descriptions are pretty realistic.  

It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then winter came and the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
walkforchildren2014_small.jpg

#461 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,365 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

American Sniper

c7U8vFB.png                          sIg8nr1.png                           Vsx5CoZ.png

#462 TGHusker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

A very good story about the 1st  great election crisis (Forget Florida hanging chads - that was child's play in comparison)

A Magnificent Catastrophe: The Tumultuous Election of 1800, America's First Presidential Campaign Paperback – June 10, 2008
by Edward J. Larson (Author)
51CgBzp-nsL._AA160_.jpg

Also reading this book.  Keller does a good job discussing  views (various religions, cultures, belief systems - including atheism) on the topic and presents strengths and weaknesses of the views.  The 2nd half of the book - he makes it practical with the purpose of helping us as we individually walk through our own version of pain and/or suffering.  How do deal with issue and go forward wt hope.   Good book to go with the  topic of ' God and Evil/Suffering' going on in the politics/religion forum.  I just found this book a week ago and am about half way through it. 

Walking with God through Pain and Suffering Hardcover – October 1, 2013
by Timothy Keller (Author)

41jB7yFVApL._AA160_.jpg

#463 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,490 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

AClashOfKings.jpg

EAT THE RICH

#464 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

7284642.jpg

#465 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

open_bible.jpg

Finished the bible this morning.  I really took my time, this time through, trying to understand what I read and put it in context.  If I got to the end of a page, or chapter, and couldn't recall what it was about, I'd read it over.  My bible is 1142 pages long, but I'll bet I read 1500 or more pages.  I guess that's why it took me about 8 months.  That said, I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of understanding and knowing The Good Book.  :lol:

It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then winter came and the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

#466 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

51EWVUMY3WL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished "Praying for Slack" by Robert Peavey.  I can understand why a lot of guys come back from combat with mental demons.  

I know a guy who's unit was mentioned in this book.  He says the accounts are fairly accurate.  

#467 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:26 PM

61xkgDLPY7L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Heart of a Lioness" by by Irene Gleeson  (with Nicole Partridge). 

#468 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

hqdefault.jpg

Just finished "The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics"  by Hindson and Caner.  Not sure I agree with every argument they made.  But it was a great overview of several hundred Christian topics.  

Next up:  "Undress me in the Temple of Heaven" by Susan Gilman.  It's about a recently graduated, but quite naive, Ivy League coed who travels into recently opened China in 1986.

Undress-Me.jpg

#469 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,490 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

I guess this is going to be required reading for work:

51QrEUUQYjL._AC_UL320_SR202,320_.jpg

Anyone read it?

EAT THE RICH

#470 Red Dead Redemption

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

Anyone read it?

I don't have to read it, Dottie... I lived it.

Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it

#471 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,763 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

cover_277.jpg

Just finished reading this.

I picked it up because I was looking for a really good fantasy title, and this one had very favorable reviews on Good Reads.  It was tabbed as this generation's "Lord of the Rings."

Admittedly, however, I didn't enjoy it that much.  I personally wouldn't recommend.

fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#472 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,350 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

cover_277.jpg

I picked it up because I was looking for a really good fantasy title, and this one had very favorable reviews on Good Reads.  It was tabbed as this generation's "Lord of the Rings."

Admittedly, however, I didn't enjoy it that much.  I personally wouldn't recommend.

I thought it was decent but wasn't interested enough to get the sequel.

Have you read the Wheel of Time series?

#473 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,763 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:35 AM

cover_277.jpg

I think my problem with The Name of the Wind was that there wasn't much of a lure pulling me through the book.  In many ways it felt like a slow biography, and I never really felt the urge to keep turning the pages.  I described it to a buddy of mine as if someone was writing my life's story but included days I went to get an oil change or binge-watched Netflix.  They certainly describe my person, but they don't make for great reading.

And I have not heard of the Wheel of Time series.  I'm always looking for a good fantasy series though, particularly something that's really immersive.  Would you recommend it?

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#474 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,365 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

KQh8P8g.jpg

#475 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,350 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

cover_277.jpg

I think my problem with The Name of the Wind was that there wasn't much of a lure pulling me through the book.  In many ways it felt like a slow biography, and I never really felt the urge to keep turning the pages.  I described it to a buddy of mine as if someone was writing my life's story but included days I went to get an oil change or binge-watched Netflix.  They certainly describe my person, but they don't make for great reading.

And I have not heard of the Wheel of Time series.  I'm always looking for a good fantasy series though, particularly something that's really immersive.  Would you recommend it?

Yes. ("Moiraine" is a character in WoT). It's a 14 book series. The first 4 books are better than anything else I've ever read. I liked the whole series but some people did not like books 7-10. It picks up again after that. It took me about 100 pages into the first book to get hooked and then I read the rest that were out at the time in about 2 weeks.

http://www.amazon.co...ye of the world

I think the only reason the first book has 4 stars instead of 5 out of 5 is because of what I mentioned with the later books. There are a lot of "this book is great, but..." reviews. Books 2-4 are all 4.5/5. (Book 4 is my favorite).

#476 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

3184792.jpg

"The Great Philosophers"  by Stephen Law.  I just finished this yesterday.  It makes me want to smoke some dope and contemplate my existence. 

#477 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 38,384 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

Anyone read it?

Yep. Took maybe an hour to read, cover to cover. It's quick and painless and reasonably interesting.  It's been a while so I don't remember whatever life lessons they were trying to teach me, but it was a decent book.

clEdF.png

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

#478 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,490 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

Anyone read it?

Yep. Took maybe an hour to read, cover to cover. It's quick and painless and reasonably interesting.  It's been a while so I don't remember whatever life lessons they were trying to teach me, but it was a decent book.

I've read a lot of terrible reviews on it. Mostly that it's corporate brainwash material saying "Don't question changes, just adapt or you're fired"

EAT THE RICH

#479 Red Dead Redemption

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

Been meaning to read this book for a long time. Now I finally have the motivation. If you've read it, don't spoil the ending for me. If I were to guess how it ends, I'd say probably with a semicolon.

220px-Programming_Perl_4th_Ed_cover.png
Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it

#480 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,763 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

mansearchformeaning-John-Ruh.jpg

Not currently reading - read it last year.  But, wanted to pass it along.  I thought it was an incredible book (it's written by a Holocaust survivor and is about how his experience helped him develop his theory on the meaning of one's life).

I read it in a few days - it's a fairly quick read.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#481 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,365 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

mansearchformeaning-John-Ruh.jpg

Not currently reading - read it last year.  But, wanted to pass it along.  I thought it was an incredible book (it's written by a Holocaust survivor and is about how his experience helped him develop his theory on the meaning of one's life).

I read it in a few days - it's a fairly quick read.

Read this a couple of months ago.  It's one I feel a person should have on their shelf and go back and re-read every once in a while to get some perspective of their life.

#482 The Dude

Legend

• Members
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

402.jpg

Only 4 chapters in but it's been awesome so far. Not a long book, definitely worth a look.
What we need is a new center to our politics - one that defends secularism, science & free speech against their enemies on the Left & Right.

#483 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

il_340x270.881547371_dsei.jpg

^^ Just finished "Your Bible and You" by Arthur Maxwell.  

v v Started reading "How the Irish Saved Civilization" by Thomas Cahill 

51yX6x1E1JL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#484 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,490 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

d8dbaceb20224738f7dae88308d4ea0e.jpg

I started reading this series last month. I'm almost finished with the 2nd book. I guess they are technically "teen fiction" but I'm not so sure about that. Basically the story is told through journals from a 12 year old boy in 1888. His parents died in a house fire and he was taken in by his father's employer, a doctor of monstrumology (yes, study of monsters). They are fast reads so far. Lots of really gory details throughout, but I am enjoying them. This guy also wrote the '5th Wave' series.

EAT THE RICH

#485 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

Last four books I read:  

s-l300.jpg

The Complete Biblical Library: Genesis volume.  Bible commentary (in English) with original text in Hebrew provided for reference.  

==========================================  

51wXmJanKCL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Stoned, Naked, and Looking in My Neighbor's Window", compiled by Gabriel Jeffrey.   It's a book of hundreds of on-line confessions about all sorts of crap.  For example:  

Today, while drinking at happy hour at an undisclosed chain restaurant, a disgruntled psychotic patron threw a bar stool at the bartender.  In the shuffle he lost his prescription barbiturates.  I stole them and just swallowed one.  I hope he didn't need those pills to stop him from killing someone.  

Picture%20Bible.jpg

"The Picture Bible."   It's the comic book version of the bible.  Not half bad, actually.  It only takes a week or two to read, instead of the four or five months it takes me to read the whole bible.   

51wf5lxN7tL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"The Little Book of Answers" by Doug Lennox.  

It provides the origins of hundreds of words and sayings.  For example:  

Why when someone dies do we say "he bought the farm"?

During the second World War, airmen introduced the term "he bought the farm" after a pilot was shot down.  The expression caught on with all the armed service and meant that if you gave your life for your country, your impoverished family would receive insurance money for your death, which would help pay off the morgage on the family farm.  Death for your country meant you were "buying the farm" for your parents. 

#486 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

Re reading Asimiov's Foundation series

#487 B.B. Hemingway

Head Coach

• Members2
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

Nuance,

What did you think of "How the Irish Saved Civilization"?

--NoSleepSquad--
--ShootersShoot--

--I'mTheGOAT--

#488 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Nuance,

What did you think of "How the Irish Saved Civilization"?

It was okay, not great.  But okay.  There was a great discussion of St. Patrick in the book.  But there wasn't much else that I found interesting.  It was a fairly short book though, so it was worth the time spent reading it.  

#489 NUance

Legend

• Mods
  • 22,901 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:11 AM

510E2NQ2YXL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Under the Banner of Heaven," by Jon Krakauer.  Pretty good read.  I liked his book "Into the Wild" also.  I might read some of his other stuff as well.

The-Fear-Index-leads-weekend-book-picks-

"The Fear Index," by Robert Harris.  A little bit farfetched.  Like Terminator meets Liar's Poker. 

#490 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 38,384 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

I decided to read JRR Tolkien again. I used to read LOTR every January, but it got so I could quote pages of it at a time and it began to become a chore. I stopped many years ago, but decided to re-read the whole thing this year.

I started nine or ten days ago with the Silmarillion. It's still as dark and depressing as it always seemed, but it's going much quicker for some reason. I'm reading about 30 minutes a night and I'm already halfway done. I'll pause when I get to the parts better fleshed-out in Unfinished Tales and Lost Tales I & II. There's some really good stuff in all three compilations.

clEdF.png

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

#491 ColoNoCoHusker

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

A couple I bought when they were first published:

Rereading this one:

Enriquesjourney.jpg

https://en.wikipedia...rique's_Journey

Reading this for the first time; amazing the similarities to 80 years ago...

https://books.google...=kp_cover&hl=en

51g3c1J-yJL._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#492 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,350 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:45 PM

Been meaning to read this book for a long time. Now I finally have the motivation. If you've read it, don't spoil the ending for me. If I were to guess how it ends, I'd say probably with a semicolon.

220px-Programming_Perl_4th_Ed_cover.png

It's a choose your own adventure book.

#493 The Big Nebrowski

Travel Squad

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:46 PM

Richard Wright, "The Outsider". IMO, his best novel, over "Native Son", and, "Black Boy". It's big time novel on the level of any great author, and Wright, in the anthologies of American literature, is grossly underrated and I would suspect that is because he was black.

Wright, growing up in the Jim Crow South--had an incredibly hard life from start to finish. He endured constant semi-starvation up thru his 20s. He did enjoy a brief run of noteriety and some financial rewards, but still died rather broken in his early 50s.
"Shut the f#*k up, Donny!"

#494 B.B. Hemingway

Head Coach

• Members2
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

51nmMdtz9wL._SS500_.jpg

Read it through a few times as a kid. Came across it the other day at a bookstore, and grabbed it. Look forward to knocking it out again one of these evenings.

--NoSleepSquad--
--ShootersShoot--

--I'mTheGOAT--

#495 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,763 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:42 PM

41Qrv6MZPfL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Started reading this after a tweet knapplc posted in the P&R forums.

As a white male, born in the late 80s, in a middle class neighborhood, racism and segregation seemed like a problem of yesteryear that wasn't an issue anymore.  Naturally, as I got older, I learned a lot more about how this isn't the case, and this book is a real eye opener.  It helps put into perspective how hard it has been, even in the 21st century, to undo centuries of racism.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#496 NM11046

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Finished this recently and would recommend it:  16158542.jpg

"Red is always popular in Nebraska."

cZtDFbg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users