**Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread**

Nigeria made some incredible defensive plays but had some unbelievable breakdowns. They couldn't do enough to keep the French at bay - in the end France got a deserved 2-0 win

Totally agree. France was the much better side in the 2nd half more specifically from the 75th minute until the end. Up to that point it looked like Nigeria could've pulled quite the upset. Africa's down to 1 team: Algeria. See if they can exact some overdue revenge against Germany.

Exactly. A foul certainly occurred, but Robben also sold it to ensure that it would be called.

I was reading an article--I believe it was on Deadspin--about how Robben is the most effective flopper in the World Cup because he sells the foul better than anyone else. Sometimes Robben is the dominating powerful dribbler that takes the ball and extra 5 yards to get it to his dangerous left foot (see Spain, group stage). Other times he's the grass eating, glass boned, douchebag (see Mexico, round of 16). But he gets that penalty call because he's shown that he doesn't go down easily sometimes. His reputation gives him the benefit of the doubt sometimes much to the outrage of the opponents.

Mexico should be proud of their accomplishments, however. Yes, it sucks to be knocked out in the round of 16 for the 6th time in a row. Yes, 4 years is a long time to attempt to reverse that mark. But Miguel Herrera came in and changed the outlook of the Mexican National Team in months when 3 or 4 managers before him couldn't do it in years. He's ignited a newfound passion and pride in the Mexican National Team and they were so very close to making the quarterfinals.

Man, Algeria is attacking like crazy, a lot of nervous moments for the Germans and one butt-clenching goalkeeper error, but nothing that has been super close to being a punishing one yet.

Germany probably still wins but Algeria is making it really fun to watch!

I dislike Neuer being so quick off the line. He's going to miss one of these times and either concede a goal or get sent off.

I don't think he has too much of a choice. Each time it's been the right call and the German defenders can't seem to keep up. We're heading into extra time now.

Do they play the full 30 minutes always, or is it a golden goal kind of deal?

I dislike Neuer being so quick off the line. He's going to miss one of these times and either concede a goal or get sent off.

I don't think he has too much of a choice. Each time it's been the right call and the German defenders can't seem to keep up. We're heading into extra time now.

Do they play the full 30 minutes always, or is it a golden goal kind of deal?

Full 30.