**Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread**

My favorite non-USA teams left in the tournament:

Brazil: Neymar is so fun to watch.

Columbia: Ditto for James (pronounced "Ha-mes"?) Rodriguez; underdog team already reaching the furthest they've ever been in a World Cup.

Germany: I like the way they play. Probably the easiest to root for of the consistently marquee teams in World Cups.

Netherlands: Still can't get over that Van Persie flying Superman header, and Arjen Robben is one of my favorite players in the tournament. Very intense dude.

vanpersie1.jpg

Costa Rica: Ultimate underdog. They weren't supposed to win anything in their group. Instead, they won their group against the likes of England, Italy, and Uruguay.

USA: because it definitely bears mentioning twice. USA!

Tough loss, yes, but they have nobody to blame but themselves. They sh#t the bed. Horrible coverage on the corner kick, and then an idiot move by the Mexican defender to step into Robben. He committed a minor foul, but Robben made the best of it like any good offensive player would and went down. Dumbass defender.

Netherlands got a free shot to win the game because of a sh**ty flop. This game is unwatchable.

Definitely was a flop. But the ref missed an obvious PK situation in the first half with Robben being taken down as well. Guess things have a way of working themselves out.

Two flops make a right?

It's a cowardly way to play any sport, much less one on the main world stage. The NBA has at least tried to stop these actions, while FIFA seems to celebrate and define the sport with these flops.

I didn't see it, but I have no problems with a little "making the most of it" to emphasize when a foul has occurred. Players do it so that other players can't just get away with any amount of rule-breaking so long as the referee misses it. This happens in every sport where there are fouls, particularly basketball, where intentional fouls and fouling out players is a huge part of the game, and also in our American football to an extent, where receivers will emphasize pass interference, quarterbacks late hits, etc.

I hate when players feign injury when they were barely touched. It's up to the ref, but a single yellow is pretty meaningful in soccer. I like the idea of FIFA post-game reviews with fines and bans handed out. Not all teams practice diving equally and I think most fans of soccer would view it as a negative trend they would like to see changed about their sport.