will riley be fired before wisky game if he drops 1 to Rut or illinois?

huskerfan69

Here's a question I don't know the answer to.  Why do schools fire coaches before the end of the season?  Seems like it is becoming more common but I don't see the advantage for the school.  Do they believe the team would do better without the HC while putting an assistant as interim HC?  Is this a way to advertise early that they are looking for a new coach?

5 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Here's a question I don't know the answer to.  Why do schools fire coaches before the end of the season?  Seems like it is becoming more common but I don't see the advantage for the school.  Do they believe the team would do better without the HC while putting an assistant as interim HC?  Is this a way to advertise early that they are looking for a new coach?

You're trying to jumpstart the search over other teams. Not only that, but the recruiting periods and bowls make the end of the season messy and hectic.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, huskerfan69 said:

is it required to have an AD to fire a coach? if we lose to rutgers, riley has no business finishing the rest of the year as coach. 

Why does it matter if he finishes the rest of the year (or until the new AD has time to find someone) as a coach? If you think he has no business, why would his assistants have business doing it? And if not them, who's going to step in as the temp coach?

9 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

To hire somebody as soon as possible so that they can recruit before players have made their decisions for one.  

Just now, Moiraine said:

Why does it matter if he finishes the rest of the year (or until the new AD has time to find someone) as a coach? If you think he has no business, why would his assistants have business doing it? And if not them, who's going to step in as the temp coach?

because it helps to be the first team to have an opening. diaco has HC experience and couldn't do any worse than riley.

• Plus1 1
Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

We are still paying BO &  gave Riley a extension.  Are you paying the extra salaries?

That thought entered my head but I'm not sure it matters - because they wouldn't necessarily need to give the interim head coach a raise. So they'd be paying everyone the same amount, and Riley would just start getting his buyout earlier.