Grill and/or Smoker Recommendations

20 hours ago, Toe said:

I mentioned it above, but you can get one of Char-Griller's lightweight Akorn steel kamados for only about $300. That's my main cooker.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-Charcoal-Grill-in-Graphite-16620/205026253

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-AKORN-Kamado-Kooker-20-in-Charcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650

Yeah, those are a good option in-between a traditional Kettle grill, and a ceramic komado. They don't retain heat as well as a ceramic, but they're much better than a regular kettle.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Don't get me wrong, the cook makes the meal. But, some of the different methods/tools are easier than others.

I agree.  I made the comment because I have thought about buying a green egg or something similar.  But, every time I use my barrel it is just so dang easy, uses very little charcoal and stuff tastes so dang good.

And, it was cheep.  

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  I made the comment because I have thought about buying a green egg or something similar.  But, every time I use my barrel it is just so dang easy, uses very little charcoal and stuff tastes so dang good.

And, it was cheep.  

Yup, completely understand.Personally, if I was starting out, I wouldn't buy an Egg. I just happened to get mine brand new for $100, so I took it, lol.

They're small for the price, and a PITA to move. HOWEVER... Getting to 900º is super easy, and I make the best steaks on it (combined with sous vide). For low and slow BBQ, you add a simple temperature controller, and it's almost as easy as a pellet smoker, with extremely low fuel consumption.

• 3 months later...

Update:  Smoked some wings and some chicken breasts and a LOT of salmon. Looking forward to doing some ribs for games this fall. Hard to smoke a bunch of stuff when there's only 2 of us in the house and I'm the only one that eats beef or pork.

Does anyone have any tried and true rubs they would recommend for some ribs?

1 minute ago, GSG said:

Update:  Smoked some wings and some chicken breasts and a LOT of salmon. Looking forward to doing some ribs for games this fall. Hard to smoke a bunch of stuff when there's only 2 of us in the house and I'm the only one that eats beef or pork.

3/4 cup  dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons onion powder

1 tablespoons ground ginger powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon cayenne ( not needed unless you like some heat)

salt to taste

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, GSG said:

Go to https://amazingribs.com/ Everything I've tried from there was good.

Also, I quite like this Carolina BBQ sauce: https://www.thespruceeats.com/big-daddy-carolina-style-barbecue-sauce-333684

I'm always tweaking my recipe, but here's what I've been using lately:

.25 c dark brown sugar
2 T mild chile pepper powder (I use ancho or New Mexico chile powder)
2 T onion powder
1.5 T garlic powder
2 T salt
2 T allspice
1 T black pepper

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Toe said:

@GSG I notice that the bark is really uneven on those ribs, and pretty thin on most of the rack. Did you try to brush a sauce or mop on, and end up lifting off part of the rub or something?

Yeah. The only brush we have is a silicone one and I think I brushed a little hard

Just now, Toe said:

@GSG Yeah, I'm not too fond of brushes and mops, for just that reason. Sauces I usually just spread with a butter knife or something, and if I want more moisture I use a spray bottle.

What do you put in the spray bottle? I considered trying that but I didn't really have much to put in there