2019 F Majok Deng

8 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

The tweet was deleted, what did it say?

basically just made reference to the fact that Gates had been recruiting him at NW and now with Nebraska offering it was the first recruit of the Gates era to be offered at NU. Guessing NU people didn't like that very much and asked him to take it down.

• Plus1 1

Player: Majok Deng

Hometown: Tuscon, AZ

School: Salpointe

AAU

Position: Small Forward

Height: 6'5

Weight: 175

Offers: Nebraska, Arizona, Arizona State, California, Georgia Tech, Grand Canyon, Kansas State, Missouri, New Mexico, Portland, San Francisco, SMU, Stanford, UC-Santa Barbara, UCLA, Utah, Vanderbilt

Visits

Twitter:

247 Composite: #148 OVR #38 SF .9366 :star :star :star :star 

Rivals: :star :star :star :star 
247: #100 OVR #27 SF :star :star :star :star 
ESPN:   :star :star :star 

Highlights: 

• Plus1 1

this is from 2016 but definitely cheering for this kid regardless of where he ends up: 

The sophomore grew up in war-torn South Sudan and playing basketball wasn’t much of an option.

“There was no basketball,” Deng said. “There’s hunger and nothing to do. The best thing we did was play soccer but it was always interrupted by guns. We couldn’t be outside for too long.”

One day, Deng, his mother and two brothers marched from South Sudan to a refugee camp in Kenya where they lived for years until they were approved by the United States to move to America and receive asylum in Tucson.

Deng’s father stayed behind, as did an older brother and grandmother.

“My grandma said no, she said she would rather die where she was born,” Deng said.

After arriving in Tucson in January of 2011, Deng lost track of his father and eventually received the news he was dreading about his grandmother.

“I went about three years without knowing where my dad was,” he said. “We finally found him and we’re trying to get him a visa to come here. I found out my grandma died; she was burned in the war three years ago.”

Deng’s mother now works in Tucson at a grocery store while Majok spends his life trying to use basketball to make his family’s future a little different than its past.

“I’m trying to be the first person in my family to make it through college and then ultimately take care of my family,” Deng said.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Majok-Deng-overcoming-adversity-to-emerge-as-2019-prospect-105500091

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

basically just made reference to the fact that Gates had been recruiting him at NW and now with Nebraska offering it was the first recruit of the Gates era to be offered at NU. Guessing NU people didn't like that very much and asked him to take it down.

HOW DARE HE SHARE NEWS!

Also, I really want this guy for the name.. The story above also helps.

4 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

around this board their is only one NU and Nebraska people like it very much.

• 2 months later...