What did we learn? Colorado edition

6 minutes ago, JeffKinney87 said:

I respect that opinion...and even though I really liked Bo Pelini as NU Head coach, I have no desire to relitigate that. I am simply saying if you want a bounceback coach I just don't think a .500 lifetime coach like Matt Rhule is the guy to go to.

I really liked Bo as our head coach, too.

I'm not a Matt Rhule apologist, but I think these two things are fairly solid - but admittedly not provable in any way:

1. Rhule was probably one of the 3-5 best coaches that we could have reasonably expected to come here as a late-2022 hire.

2. Rhule's hypothetical seasons 4 & 5 at both Temple & Baylor (had he stayed) would have dragged up his college head football coaching record by quite a bit.

I think bringing in Satterfield may wind up being one of the guy's biggest problems, but we'll see. 

• Plus1 3

On 9/13/2023 at 7:10 AM, Undone said:

I think bringing in Satterfield may wind up being one of the guy's biggest problems, but we'll see. 

One of the recurring patterns I have seen through this entire run of misery is that every coach we hire seems to have one assistant who immediately becomes the scapegoat, rightly or wrongly. Perhaps more often than not, rightly. We also see that the head coach's loyalty to said assistant then becomes an issue itself.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

One of the recurring patterns I have seen through this entire run of misery is that every coach we hire seems to have one assistant who immediately becomes the scapegoat, rightly or wrongly. Perhaps more often than not, rightly. We also see that the head coach's loyalty to said assistant then becomes an issue itself.

Except that after the scapegoats are sent away into the wild many of the shameful performances remain or escalate! "Curses" are the result of emotionally-driven decisions. Solich himself was a scapegoat. Since then it's been one unfavorable decision after another. Once could argue quite irrational in nature. Each replacement was to be the cure for the previous when it's better to focus on a fit.

Every incompetent leader needs their scapegoats. Same is true for organizations. It has much to do with the selections, who's making them and what the options are involving mutual interest. 

It's not the intent to pick on you. Rightfully deserved responsibility for failing isn't scapegoating. That's just a failure to perform one's duties. I understand what you're getting at though. 

Mark Banker was scapegoated (To and extent). His being cast away into the wilderness resulted in even worse performances by his successor. You know what they say about karma...

Callahan cure to Solich

Pelini cure to Callahan

Riley cure to Pelini 

Frost cure to Riley 

I really believe that Trev Alberts was aiming for the right fit and not an antidote. 

Neither Rhule, Satterfield or any other person will remedy the mistakes of the past and I think this sort of thinking has been (part) of our problem. The future is NOW and we can't get caught up in what's happened however heartbreaking the experiences have been. 

Sometimes competent people error, too. Whether that's Rhule in Satterfield or the choosing of a quarterback. There are miscues and missteps, oversights. Then there are patterns of poor decision making.  Intent and integrity matter. The employee that corrects themselves isn't a liability but an asset. It's wise that we exercise patience before arriving at premature conclusions. 

Time will tell if Matt Rhule is a "goat" or not.  Coaching gigs aren't as simple as we might like to think. 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, CheeseHusker said:

Watson, Beck, Langsford, Whipple, Lubick…..I might have forgot one. Cosgrove, Diaco, Chin…..In reality these guys probably did lead to the demise of NU.  Like death from a 1000 paper cuts.  Some were more disastrous than others, but had some issues.