Matt Rhule's offense/defense since 2013

BIG ERN

Phil Snow was always his DC and Satterfield was at Temple from 2013 - 2015. Glenn Thomas took over from there till he went to the NFL. 

2013 Temple - 24.9 ppg / 29.8 

2014 Temple - 23.1 ppg / 17.5 

2015 Temple - 29.8 ppg / 20.1 

2016 Temple - 32.4 ppg / 18.4 (new offensive coordinator. Satterfield left to be HC at Tennessee Tech) 

2017 Baylor - 24.3 ppg / 35.9

2018 Baylor - 29.5 ppg / 31.7 

2019 Baylor - 33.6 ppg / 19.8 

• Plus1 1

I think this does say a lot about who this guy is at turning programs around.

If the slow, plodding offense is what he actually sees the team running by 2026, then they'll probably continue to prioritize QB's in recruiting that are physical and run extremely well. This again limits the kind of arm talent you can bring in.

But, we'll see.

Biggest concern for the foreseeable future might be Tony White leaving for greener pastures, honestly. Guy is absolutely a great coach.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Undone said:

If the slow, plodding offense is what he actually sees the team running by 2026, then they'll probably continue to prioritize QB's in recruiting that are physical and run extremely well. This again limits the kind of arm talent you can bring in.

But, we'll see.

Biggest concern for the foreseeable future might be Tony White leaving for greener pastures, honestly. Guy is absolutely a great coach.

Which is why it is a little puzzling we recruited Kaelin for 24' 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Which is why it is a little puzzling we recruited Kaelin for 24' 

You mean in terms of his size or did you mean something else?

I think he's a really solid recruit.

Think he's talking about this piece of your initial post:

53 minutes ago, Undone said:

• TBH 1

59 minutes ago, Undone said:

But, we'll see.

I don’t think Rhule will want to use this type of offense for the long-term in the Big Ten. With the 4 teams coming from the PAC 12, and the Big Ten West divisional matchups going away, the slow, plodding offenses currently seen in the Big Ten West will need to adapt and improve, or get left behind. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Correct. He is a pocket passer. I think once we missed on Raiola we wanted to make sure we got the two WRs from Bellevue and felt Kaelin was good enough, but not sure Rhule feels totally solid on him. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yeah, I get that. Not sure if Kaelin is completely done growing or not, he's listed some places at 6'2" and others at 6'3". He does occasionally carry the ball, so I could still see him excelling in this exact scheme - but the play mix of QB runs would probably go down. He's of course nowhere near as fast as Sims & Haarberg though.

Which for me would probably be perfect. The kid is undeniably a good passer. 

I'm getting really tired of having to wait 2-4yrs to see if something is going to work out and actually make things better when I look at Boulder and see a 3-2 team being shoved down the worlds throat.  We had to endure Riley and Frost grinding an average team into a terrible one.

That said sukket Deion, still wouldn't want you here

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Yeah, I get that. Not sure if Kaelin is completely done growing or not, he's listed some places at 6'2" and others at 6'3". He does occasionally carry the ball, so I could still see him excelling in this exact scheme - but the play mix of QB runs would probably go down.

Which for me would probably be perfect. The kid is undeniably a good passer. 

I don’t think Rhule will go with a “run-first” QB like Sims or Haarberg in the long-term. While he will want a QB who “can run”, it won’t be his priority. Rhule and Satt also thought that Sims would be a better passer than he has shown so far, and didn’t think they would need to rely so much on QB run game. But, with the injuries at RB and WR, they’ve had to change things up for this year. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t think Rhule will go with a “run-first” QB like Sims or Haarberg in the long-term. While he will want a QB who “can run”, it won’t be his priority. Rhule and Satt also thought that Sims would be a better passer than he has shown so far, and didn’t think they would need to rely so much on QB run game. But, with the injuries at RB and WR, they’ve had to change things up for this year. 

I think you're right, and I'm also really hoping it's right. I think this overall scheme they're looking for does way more damage with the "throw-first" guy.

And also, I don't think you have a whole lot of luck getting the blue chip receivers in that 6'1" - 6'-4" range if you don't have the good passer on the roster to begin with. If we head this direction, I think it'll work well for us and I can actually see the offensive statistical progression that Ern showed from Temple & Baylor playing out here. Really do.

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think you're right, and I'm also really hoping it's right. I think this overall scheme they're looking for does way more damage with the "throw-first" guy.

And also, I don't think you have a whole lot of luck getting the blue chip receivers in that 6'1" - 6'-4" range if you don't have the good passer on the roster to begin with. If we head this direction, I think it'll work well for us and I can actually see the offensive statistical progression that Ern showed from Temple & Baylor playing out here. Really do.

I know Sims wasn’t great in his first 2 games, but it’s unfortunate he was injured, and wasn’t able to play against Northern Illinois and La Tech. That would have been a good opportunity to play well, try to improve, and gain confidence. I do think Sims will play again and possibly start at some point the rest of this season. I think the coaches have to think that Sims can’t be as bad as he’s shown in the first 2 games. 

48 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know Sims wasn’t great in his first 2 games, but it’s unfortunate he was injured, and wasn’t able to play against Northern Illinois and La Tech. That would have been a good opportunity to play well, try to improve, and gain confidence. I do think Sims will play again and possibly start at some point the rest of this season. I think the coaches have to think that Sims can’t be as bad as he’s shown in the first 2 games. 

Totally agree with this as well.

And also the kid worked really hard at becoming a leader on the team in the offseason and is a newcomer; I feel bad for him. Hope he gets to play more with a fully healthy ankle and we can all see what he's possibly capable of.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think he's as bad as he looked like the first two games.  I said earlier that I actually don't think the Colorado game was as bad as some, just from the standpoint that I can't believe that he'd continue to drop snaps like that and the handoff fumble was Grant's fault.

But two of the interceptions against Minnesota were just terrible.  You can't have a three-year starter throwing balls like that.  I don't see how that kind of decision-making gets fixed at this point.

HH's tipped ball INT was still somewhat his fault but I don't put those kind of things in the same category (although his low delivery will likely continue to be problematic).  And HH did hit a N. ILL defender in the hands but it was dropped, iirc.  

So I'm not saying HH is leaps and bounds greater.  But I just don't have any hope that Sims will be significantly better, based on his history and what we've seen so far.

• TBH 1
34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But two of the interceptions against Minnesota were just terrible.  You can't have a three-year starter throwing balls like that.

True.

On the first one, Satterfield and the team put together what was probably the best looking drive of the game. Great calls, great execution, and we get down to their 1 yard line...and then we false start to setup the passing down on 2nd & goal from the 6. I know we've beaten that one to death.

The decision to throw when & where he did then on that play was terrible...but it was his left guard that put him in that position in the first place. Of course, he still executed the passing play horribly.

• TBH 1