****Wisconsin Game Day Thread****

46 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Maryland drove down and kicked a FG. It would not have won the game. It's literally what happened. In fact Maryland was close enough to easily try for a TD so a FG had a not small chance of not even forcing OT last week. 

A despond defense took the field with the crowd booing an inept coaching staff incapable of not punching themselves in the face.

That game is much different if every person in the stadium doesn't immediately know the outcome of the game in that moment. 

The game management of this coaching staff is a disgrace. These types of decisions are normally easy at Pop Warner, but I forget that the standards for Nebraska football have fallen so much that we're trying to find excuses to why our players, coaches, and teams keep making the worst possible decisions at the worst possible moment. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

9 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

People were pissed when we didn't go for a chance at OT last week and tried to go for the win and then pissed this week when we killed the whole clock and sent it to overtime being conservative. Sounds a lot like just being upset about the result and then working backwards from there to decide what you "would have" done

Did you watch the game last week? The fg would have been for the win, not the tie. 

• TBH 2
5 minutes ago, StuckinCO said:

It would have been for the lead. Then a kickoff into the wind likely resulting in a short(er) field for them to attempt a game tying (downwind) FG, or a game winning TD. 

Oh no, the horror of putting our best unit on the field to try and win it when they shut them down all game and the crowd going insane because they MIGHT make a game tying fg or last second td! Take your damn chances with the momentum!

• TBH 2
22 minutes ago, Ratt Mhule said:

Oh no, the horror of putting our best unit on the field to try and win it when they shut them down all game and the crowd going insane because they MIGHT make a game tying fg or last second td! Take your damn chances with the momentum!

Yeah, but our defense didn’t stop the last drive did they?  Our defense is our best unit, but let’s be realistic,  they tend to get a little conservative late and let offenses move on us. 

I dont actually feel real strongly either way on how they called it late against Maryland. I really do see both sides. But anyone thinking a FG guaranteed a win isn’t thinking realistically. If we don’t get to the QB, our DB’s are getting beat. And we stop getting to the QB late. 

2 players didn’t execute on the pick. Purdy threw a bad ball and Coleman didn’t get the hell out of the area and take his defender with him. Who knows, if one of them does it right, maybe it’s a different outcome. I think Satterfield is bad, and I don’t think it was the correct call for the situation (touch pass with a raw QB), but as some point your players have to do things as well. Like #33 last night, late in first half. Comes clean on the blitz but so out of control coming in he completely whiffs on the QB sack. Instead of a 10-12 yard loss and a likely eventual punt, they turn the play positive, move down the field and score. 

Players have to make plays once in a while. 

17 minutes ago, StuckinCO said:

Yeah, but our defense didn’t stop the last drive did they?  Our defense is our best unit, but let’s be realistic,  they tend to get a little conservative late and let offenses move on us. 

I dont actually feel real strongly either way on how they called it late against Maryland. I really do see both sides. But anyone thinking a FG guaranteed a win isn’t thinking realistically. If we don’t get to the QB, our DB’s are getting beat. And we stop getting to the QB late. 

2 players didn’t execute on the pick. Purdy threw a bad ball and Coleman didn’t get the hell out of the area and take his defender with him. Who knows, if one of them does it right, maybe it’s a different outcome. I think Satterfield is bad, and I don’t think it was the correct call for the situation (touch pass with a raw QB), but as some point your players have to do things as well. Like #33 last night, late in first half. Comes clean on the blitz but so out of control coming in he completely whiffs on the QB sack. Instead of a 10-12 yard loss and a likely eventual punt, they turn the play positive, move down the field and score. 

Players have to make plays once in a while. 

I didnt say a guaranteed win. And momentum in football is a real thing. We would have had it and the crowd behind us if we kick the fg. Instead we throw the pick and MD has fhe momentum, crowd booing like one posted already said and thinking here we go again. Huge difference in them letting MD drive down for game winning fg for them driving down for game tying fg with all the momentum at our back. I cant believe so many people dont realize this when everyone could see the mementum shift in the game last night when they stopped us on 4th and 1. 

It is what it is though. Just two more losses. Rhule hasnt shown any difference from Frost, maybe even worse in some game management situations. Nebraska will suck for all eternity and another coach will be on the sidelines in 4 years. Its the circle of Nebraska football because the football gods hate our guts for some reason. Maybe we just need to stop clapping for our opponent and instead spit on them like the guy last week because being nice isnt working. I kid I kid, but only about the spitting. Booing and being hostile is fine. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

This guy's YouTube videos are awesome but they don't include every single play. This was one of Chubba's best plays of the game and goes down as pretty legendary if we had won it:

After he picks up the first we're on their 26 yard line with 1:35 to go. But you can't do a play-by-play review of the next couple plays; the video then skips to 3rd & 2 of that series and there's 20 seconds on the clock.

That's the series where Rhule doesn't do a great job. Seems pretty clear that he's super worried about them getting the ball back whether we get a TD or a FG. It's probably too conservative, but then again I think it's fair to be worried about throwing it in the red zone because of what happened against Maryland. I was honestly shocked we even tied it up.

If we execute the 1st & 2nd down plays of that series well maybe we wind up getting into the end zone. But we didn't.

• Plus1 1
On 11/18/2023 at 10:36 PM, gossamorharpy said:

the coaches have to balance tying the game at a minimum and not put the players in a chance to f it up with a turnover, which they’ve done constantly this year. While also not giving Wisconsin time left for a response.

Winner!

It's like people focus on one single variable in time management and ignore everything else. There are a ton of variables to balance and there's multiple ways to be optimal in managing the clock. What I don't think fans want to acknowledge is that Rhule has managed the clock fine, which means there's no easy fix for our issues. We aren't going to fire our OC and suddenly be good, or call timeouts differently and suddenly start winning.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1