2024 NFL Draft

Mavric

I think people are worried about his injury history. The latest mock drafts that I'm seeing have Denver taking Bo Nix, which I think would be a huge reach at 12. Why the hell could they not offer Chicago something more than Pittsburgh did for Fields? I would have preferred that. 

33 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

I think people are worried about his injury history. The latest mock drafts that I'm seeing have Denver taking Bo Nix, which I think would be a huge reach at 12. Why the hell could they not offer Chicago something more than Pittsburgh did for Fields? I would have preferred that. 

I'm not a Fields fan, so I'm not too disappointed in that.

But they sure have let a lot of choices go elsewhere.

• TBH 1

IMO, Penix is either QB 2A or 2B in this draft. Depends on the offense. I think he's a little more mobile than Maye. Maye would probably be the better 'fit' for Sean Payton, but Penix would fit great too.  Not saying they are at the same level yet, but Penix is more like Josh Allen, has all the tools and can run; Maye is more like Justin Herbert, has all the tools and is more of a pocket QB. I have Jayden 1, Maye/Penix 2. Caleb Williams is this drafts Ryan Leaf/DeMarcus Russell.

On 3/17/2024 at 10:57 AM, AZRaiderH8r said:

Kiper saying Nix at 12 this morning.  First time I've seen that (though you apparently saw it earlier).

• Plus1 1
On 3/15/2024 at 10:31 PM, admo said:

Depending on Minn.... let's say Penix is there at #12, what say you?  Or JJ?

I don't think HCSP can handle skipping another year with no one to mold, whilst dealing with another vet again. He needs "a guy" this year.  

Fantasy life predicting Williams to Chicago @ #1, Daniels to Washington @#2, Minnesota trading up to #3 to take Maye and Denver trading up to #8 to take McCarthy.  Then the Raiders trading into the #21 spot to take Penix.

8. Denver Broncos (from ATL): Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy
Another trade! This time Sean Payton gets (in this scenario) his guy. And, like the Vikings, a trade-up of sorts feels likely after the Broncos released Russell Wilson and traded Jerry Jeudy to the Browns for some extra late-round draft ammo.

Fantasy Life’s Chris Allen recently broke down McCarthy’s game in detail. It’s easy to hate on the Michigan Man’s lack of overall passing volume, but then again, the Wolverines defense hardly ever forced the national champions into pass-first situations in the first place, and man oh man was McCarthy lethal when it mattered.

On 3/23/2024 at 9:48 AM, Mavric said:

Fantasy life predicting Williams to Chicago @ #1, Daniels to Washington @#2, Minnesota trading up to #3 to take Maye and Denver trading up to #8 to take McCarthy.  Then the Raiders trading into the #21 spot to take Penix.

8. Denver Broncos (from ATL): Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy
Another trade! This time Sean Payton gets (in this scenario) his guy. And, like the Vikings, a trade-up of sorts feels likely after the Broncos released Russell Wilson and traded Jerry Jeudy to the Browns for some extra late-round draft ammo.

Fantasy Life’s Chris Allen recently broke down McCarthy’s game in detail. It’s easy to hate on the Michigan Man’s lack of overall passing volume, but then again, the Wolverines defense hardly ever forced the national champions into pass-first situations in the first place, and man oh man was McCarthy lethal when it mattered.

I don't think or know if the Broncos have the pieces to trade up.

If JJ Mac is there, you get him.  I like him a lot.

If Nix is there, you get him.  I do like him though.

If you skip either for a cornerback, then shame on you Broncos.  That is the least impactful position in the NFL with a 1st round pick.  Compared with QB, Rush Edge, WR, Left Tackle.....

I've also heard that JJ Mac was Sean Payton's guy since the National Title game, and pre offseason and combine/pro day stuff.

Best of luck.  Get your QB and if you can trade up, I would.

9 minutes ago, admo said:

If JJ Mac is there, you get him.  I like him a lot.

If Nix is there, you get him.  I do like him though.

If you skip either for a cornerback, then shame on you Broncos.  That is the least impactful position in the NFL with a 1st round pick.  Compared with QB, Rush Edge, WR, Left Tackle.....

I've also heard that JJ Mac was Sean Payton's guy since the National Title game, and pre offseason and combine/pro day stuff.

Best of luck.  Get your QB and if you can trade up, I would.

I don't think they have much to trade up with either.  Unless they ship out more future picks.

If they're good with taking McCarthy or Penix (or Nix), they probably don't need to trade up.  Just depends on where their break point is.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think they have much to trade up with either.  Unless they ship out more future picks.

If they're good with taking McCarthy or Penix (or Nix), they probably don't need to trade up.  Just depends on where their break point is.

I agree.  Although I don't think 1 out of those 3 will be available by #12. 

If 2 are gone then it means someone (team) is panicking in the draft, with too many voices in their ears.

I believe most teams picking in the top 15 know exactly who they are selecting by now. 

In the mean time, the fun mock picks by analysts and Joe FanGuy will tantalize us with their expertise with mock 7.5.... trying to mix things up. 

Regarding the talented QBs coming in, and who to pick and whatnot, this is how I've seen these guys and what I think.

If JJ McCarthy or Bo Nix or Michael Penix walk onto the field during OTA's....You are good to go.  Period.  Shut it down.  Nothing further is needed, you did good.

Penix is the most purest passer.  Has great accuracy, the touch on the long ball, and can get rid of it quick under pressure.  Very smart.  Has played for a few college programs.  And he's mature and older (23/24).

Nix is smart.  He doesn't need to scramble much because he goes with the OC's play called (read 1 / read 2 - coverages) and gets rid of the ball immediately.  He's accurate, but he does have quick feet.  He 6'2 220 like Pennix, but Nix is thicker and stronger.  And he is also older like Penix and has played 61 college games.  You gotta love that.  Seen it, been there, done it.

JJ Mac is a winner, just like Trevor Lawrence was.  He is kind of slender like Penix (also 6'2 and around 219).  But he is alusive when needed, and more agile than Nix and Penix.  He can throw from the pocket.  He can throw on the run.  He is very emotional and his team thrives off of it.  He doesn't have the pure arm strength as Penix, or the short accuracy of Nix. But there is something special about him in games where stats don't matter.  

Daniels may be a super fast when running the ball, but that attribute is only good a few times a game.  He loves to stay in the pocket like Penix, although he runs more than Penix or Nix or JJ.  He has a strong arm and throws a good deep pass - even if sometimes it falls short and needs receivers to slow down to catch it.  He is slender at 6-3 or 6-4.  He can escape pressure with quick feet, but doesn't always throw well outside of the pocket like Nix and JJ Mac.  

Maye is a a guy that needs to sit for a year.  Learn.  Get better.  And he needs a lot of talent and weapons around him.  If you put him out there Day 1, it won't be a good year.  

14 hours ago, admo said:

Fortunately for Denver, a trade up to No. 3 from No. 12 is less theoretical than most of the trade scenarios we've covered, as the 49ers did exactly that three years ago when they sent the 12th overall pick, their first-round pick in each of the following two drafts and a third-round pick in the next year's draft to get the No. 3 pick and ultimately draft Trey Lance.

It seems more likely to me that the Broncos would trade back and take a second-tier QB in the No. 20 to No. 50 range of the draft than beat out other competitors for No. 4 or 5, but you never know what could happen, even on the day of the draft, as we've seen in past years.

CBS Sports

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

CBS Sports

Nice.  I hope yall get your guy at QB in the 1st round.  Next year's draft might not have as many QB studs.  And I don't think the Broncos will be bad enough to select the cream of the crop.  That's why I would be all-in this year.  

Maybe next year Sanders will be a Bronco, if they want to wait and try to tank for a top 8 pick?

10 minutes ago, admo said:

Nice.  I hope yall get your guy at QB in the 1st round.  Next year's draft might not have as many QB studs.  And I don't think the Broncos will be bad enough to select the cream of the crop.  That's why I would be all-in this year.  

Maybe next year Sanders will be a Bronco, if they want to wait and try to tank for a top 8 pick?

I'm not a big fan of shipping away more early draft picks.  We've done a ton of that recently with terrible results.

That being said, I don't see Payton wanting to sit around and wait for a second-tier QB to develop, especially after a bad first year that they've basically blamed on Wilson (not that I disagree).  However, since they have done nothing to sign a free agent, and with those options basically gone at this point, I don't see that they have much in the way of options except to trade up as far as they can to get a guy that they think they can at least get to the playoffs with in year one.  

I think they would have a reasonable chance with any of the first five QBs to be drafted, and maybe Nix as well.  But if they stay at 12, they'll get no better than the fifth choice and you risk someone else trading up and grabbing that guy.

So my gut says they are going to trade up into the top five and get a guy they really want, future be damned.

• Fire 1