2024 NFL Draft

Mavric

• 4 weeks later...

The top 10 of the NFL draft..... this year it is so good to have 2 picks (Chicago Bears).  So don't mess it up.

But when you look at this year's draft, it's really a top 15-20 TBH.

The Bears have #1 and #9.  Cool

However, 6 or perhaps 7 of the top picks will be................

Quarterbacks and Receivers.  

Isn't that amazing?

QB - Williams, Daniels, Maye.... 

WR - MHarrison III (OSU), Odunze (Wash) Nabors (LSU)

TE - Brock Bowers (Georgia)

You would have to be an idiot to take a defensive player.  You would have to be a super idiot if you don't take Caleb Williams and Odunze/Nabors (Chicago Bears - talking to you).  

You take the very best in football, and forget about trading down for more players who may not become a starter for a few years.  That would be a waste of a decision/pick.  

I mean, if you say you are really serious about scoring more than 17-18 points a game.  Without assistance from FG kickers and punt returners making your biggest plays to score almost 20 points.

So, take my advice.  You don't need to trade down for 2 second rounders or a 1st rounder next year.  

Don't make things complicated.   You have two first round picks in the top 9.  Take the best players from college football this year.  Game changers.  And then you can add more pieces to your team next year. 

Chicago Bears..... if you just do that you will be so happy.  Don't overthink it.  We need offense and we need game changers.  It's right there in front of you.

Bears are in a good spot to trade down/swap firsts, acquire a second and still get a stud QB and WR.  Swap first with the Giants, get a second for dropping. Allow the Giants to swing and miss with Caleb and the Bears could do what the Dolphins and Eagles did and pair the QB with teammate WR and get Penix and Odunze. And the eventual move to get more assets by trading Fields. Test the waters with Pittsburgh and get a future 4th for him, or see who misses getting one of the other studs (Daniels, Mayes, Nix (another bust IMO), Pratt and McCarthy (BUST)) and see what assets you can get for him. Get the best C in the second round and the Bears could fill all their holes with smart moves this draft. Then load up on OLine and DLine for the rest of the draft and get spend wisely the rest of FA period. Do this, they are right in the mix with Detroit and GB for the division.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Madcows said:

Bears are in a good spot to trade down/swap firsts, acquire a second and still get a stud QB and WR.  Swap first with the Giants, get a second for dropping. Allow the Giants to swing and miss with Caleb and the Bears could do what the Dolphins and Eagles did and pair the QB with teammate WR and get Penix and Odunze. And the eventual move to get more assets by trading Fields. Test the waters with Pittsburgh and get a future 4th for him, or see who misses getting one of the other studs (Daniels, Mayes, Nix (another bust IMO), Pratt and McCarthy (BUST)) and see what assets you can get for him. Get the best C in the second round and the Bears could fill all their holes with smart moves this draft. Then load up on OLine and DLine for the rest of the draft and get spend wisely the rest of FA period. Do this, they are right in the mix with Detroit and GB for the division.

Swapping picks and trading down for more guys has been done for 30 years and it still isn't fool proof.  

On a side note, I love Daniels and Pennix. I also think Bo Nix is a great fit for Denver with Sean Peyton.  

Pennix at Seahawks would be exciting

Nix at Broncos too.

And I really like JJ Mac as long as he isn't forced to save a s#!tty NFL franchise.  He could be very solid on the right team.

I've never thought Maye was an NFL first rounder, and he needs a good place and sit

To my Denver Broncos friends....  I am curious about who you want at QB from this draft?

@AZRaiderH8r @Mavric etc....

Now, You do not have the #1 pick.  But there are other guys with skill, exceptional talent and potential.  Would you trade up for your future Quarterback or ....?

My thinking is like this... with Sean Payton, a stout defense, cold weather by mid November and a good running game, this new rookie QB could become something special in time.  Thinking accuracy.  Game Manager.  Good deep ball.  A winner.

So who do you like?  And who do think would be the best fit the mold ?

Bo Nix

JJ McCarthy

MIchael Penix 

Winners.  Accuracy.  Experience.  

I really like all three and can see any of them being solid QBs for a few seasons before becoming really really good and leading the way and being a stud.  Because it's the NFL and for most QBs, it takes a year or two or perhaps three.

Personally I am glad Russell Wilson is gone and off to the Steelers (Big Ben version 2.0 but older).  That run-around ball-style doesn't fit, especially when you refuse to throw the slants and over the middle on time. 

Even though that backyard style football made him great in Seattle (until fans and coaches grew tired of it).  

I just watched the drive.  The video is Copyrighted.  So click on link and enjoy.  

Yall need to look at the draft and get your guy.  Who's it going to be??

Locally there has been a big push for JJ, although I'm not sold. I just didn't see much out of him at Michigan, but apparently the team is very high on him. Nix apparently had such a lousy combine that his stock is dropping considerably, and Penix is a stud athlete with terrible injury history. If JJ isn't available, I'm hoping they take the CB from Bama (I think) or Bowers if he falls far enough. They may bring in Tannehill for a stop-gap, and maybe Nix or someone else is available later (just please not Spenser Rattler, for the love of all that's holy). Bottom line: it's going to be a LONG several years for us Donkey fans. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
23 hours ago, admo said:

To my Denver Broncos friends....  I am curious about who you want at QB from this draft?

@AZRaiderH8r @Mavric etc....

I think we're kind of screwed unless they do something really drastic.

Seems very likely that the top three picks are going to be QBs.  And I don't see any way we trade up that high.

Minnesota picking at #11 was also likely to take a QB and now may be trading up even higher.

I think #12 is way too high for QB5 and we don't have a second-rounder.

So they maybe they trade back from #12 into the late first or early second and take the best QB left there.

But they could also use a lot of other help so getting the best player available at #12 is probably the better choice.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I think we're kind of screwed unless they do something really drastic.

Seems very likely that the top three picks are going to be QBs.  And I don't see any way we trade up that high.

Minnesota picking at #11 was also likely to take a QB and now may be trading up even higher.

I think #12 is way too high for QB5 and we don't have a second-rounder.

So they maybe they trade back from #12 into the late first or early second and take the best QB left there.

But they could also use a lot of other help so getting the best player available at #12 is probably the better choice.

Depending on Minn.... let's say Penix is there at #12, what say you?  Or JJ?

I don't think HCSP can handle skipping another year with no one to mold, whilst dealing with another vet again. He needs "a guy" this year.  

9 hours ago, admo said:

Depending on Minn.... let's say Penix is there at #12, what say you?  Or JJ?

I don't think HCSP can handle skipping another year with no one to mold, whilst dealing with another vet again. He needs "a guy" this year.  

It sounds like Minnesota will take JJ.  

Everyone seems to think that is too early for Penix.  I only watched him play the last two games but he sure looked the part.  And he got a lot of pub all year.  So I'm not sure what pushes him so much farther down the list than the others.

I could live with reaching for Penix at #12.  But it seems more likely that they'll try to find a way to trade down into the mid-20s and grab Penix there while picking up another pick or two somewhere elese.

• Worth a Look 1

@Mavric regarding Penix, I felt like he should be #3QB or #2QB in the draft.  So I don't get it either.  He zips the ball with great accuracy and quick release.  He has a great attitude, very positive, and teammates love him and follow him.  

He had ACL and non-throwing shoulder injuries, but he was injury free his final 2 seasons with Washington.  I'm guessing that is what they worry about.  So he is quick but doesn't run because of it (past injuries).  

He's 23/24.  He's a lefty, 6'2 216, with almost the biggest hands at the combine.  

I watched most of his games because I just think he throws the best ball ever. 

If I didn't have the #1QB pick, I'd gladly grab him.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, admo said:

@Mavric regarding Penix, I felt like he should be #3QB or #2QB in the draft.  So I don't get it either.  He zips the ball with great accuracy and quick release.  He has a great attitude, very positive, and teammates love him and follow him.  

He had ACL and non-throwing shoulder injuries, but he was injury free his final 2 seasons with Washington.  I'm guessing that is what they worry about.  So he is quick but doesn't run because of it (past injuries).  

He's 23/24.  He's a lefty, 6'2 216, with almost the biggest hands at the combine.  

I watched most of his games because I just think he throws the best ball ever. 

If I didn't have the #1QB pick, I'd gladly grab him.

I thought someone said he lacks accuracy when he has to scramble?

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

I thought someone said he lacks accuracy when he has to scramble?

That is a big part of the game when the play breaks down immediately and you have to improvise.  

But that isn't what happens every play though.  I would rather have a QB put the pressure on the defense with quick accurate throws and keeping the secondary moving backwards with their first step, then to worry about accuracy on scramble throws.  Because if you can't be accurate short and downfield, then yes - you better have something in your bag when it breaks down.  

Penix recognizes pressure and zips it to the backs before he gets touched - most of the time.  He did that for 2+ years - avoiding sacks and pressure.  And that is more important when moving the chains than ad-libbing and scrambling around and - wait for it - a holding call penalty.  

Now if he was only winning 8 out of 12 games, then there could be a case for nitpicking.  But he just kept winning which means he was aware of situations and kept doing something right every game.

• Plus1 1