2024 NFL Draft

Mavric

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not a big fan of shipping away more early draft picks.  We've done a ton of that recently with terrible results.

That being said, I don't see Payton wanting to sit around and wait for a second-tier QB to develop, especially after a bad first year that they've basically blamed on Wilson (not that I disagree).  However, since they have done nothing to sign a free agent, and with those options basically gone at this point, I don't see that they have much in the way of options except to trade up as far as they can to get a guy that they think they can at least get to the playoffs with in year one.  

I think they would have a reasonable chance with any of the first five QBs to be drafted, and maybe Nix as well.  But if they stay at 12, they'll get no better than the fifth choice and you risk someone else trading up and grabbing that guy.

So my gut says they are going to trade up into the top five and get a guy they really want, future be damned.

I totally agree.  I think trading up is the best way to go, as high as possible as you say, so that you might have your choice between 2 guys.  And then you go from there (building around him).  

It's not impossible to make the playoffs with a rookie QB (Dak, CJ, Purdy, etc).  At least be in contention the last few weeks of the year. 

But the main thing is when you see the light turn on and realize your future is set at QB, your entire team and franchise and fan base gets excited.  And since they are rookie QBs, you have extra money to build a team around them (off/def). 

And I agree, I wouldn't waste a pick on a 2nd tier QB to fill in.  I'd go get the best players (edge rusher, OT) and look to the future draft for a #1 QB.  

• Plus1 1

On 3/25/2024 at 5:21 PM, admo said:

I totally agree.  I think trading up is the best way to go, as high as possible as you say, so that you might have your choice between 2 guys.  And then you go from there (building around him).  

It's not impossible to make the playoffs with a rookie QB (Dak, CJ, Purdy, etc).  At least be in contention the last few weeks of the year. 

But the main thing is when you see the light turn on and realize your future is set at QB, your entire team and franchise and fan base gets excited.  And since they are rookie QBs, you have extra money to build a team around them (off/def). 

And I agree, I wouldn't waste a pick on a 2nd tier QB to fill in.  I'd go get the best players (edge rusher, OT) and look to the future draft for a #1 QB.  

ESPN now has the Vikings trading up to #3 to take Drake Maye and the Broncos trading up to #4 to take McCarthy.  It takes the Broncos next two first-round picks to do it.

Also, it has the Broncos taking Luke McCaffrey in the fourth round.  :o

• Fire 1
On 3/27/2024 at 9:09 AM, Mavric said:

ESPN now has the Vikings trading up to #3 to take Drake Maye and the Broncos trading up to #4 to take McCarthy.  It takes the Broncos next two first-round picks to do it.

Also, it has the Broncos taking Luke McCaffrey in the fourth round.  :o

That would be awesome!  I like JJ and Luke!  And it will be interesting because JJ Mac is supposedly Payton's guy.  I'd go for it!  

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Or maybe McCarthy won't be available at #4....

Hmmm...  what happened to Daniels ? I don't believe JJ is a #2 pick in the NFL draft, but it is fun and interesting to enjoy.  But he is a 1st rounder for sure.  

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As perplexing as it is for Atlanta to draft an old prospect to sit behind a QB they just paid 9 gajillion dollars to, Buffalo is almost as big of a dud.

From Buffalo's perspective, the trade makes a lot of sense without context. They didn't see any more value to be extracted from the first round, and between the Chiefs trade and subsequent Carolina trade they only move down 5 spots and pretty substantially upgrade from a 4th to a 3rd and a 6th to a 5th and swapped 7ths. That's some pretty good extracted extra value. They didn't get any more picks, but they already had 10 picks so from their viewpoint they saw a lot of value to get back into the 3rd round which the Chiefs provided.

But trading to KC? They know what that means for them. Just a few weeks prior when they moved Diggs the rumor was he could go anywhere but KC. So, instead, they allow KC to trade up when KC was heavily linked to the fastest WR in the class. When that speed can unlock this suddenly stagnant KC offense.

When KC is the team that knocks them out nearly every year since Mahomes was drafted.......consequently the last time the Bills traded down with KC.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

As perplexing as it is for Atlanta to draft an old prospect to sit behind a QB they just paid 9 gajillion dollars to, Buffalo is almost as big of a dud.

From Buffalo's perspective, the trade makes a lot of sense without context. They didn't see any more value to be extracted from the first round, and between the Chiefs trade and subsequent Carolina trade they only move down 5 spots and pretty substantially upgrade from a 4th to a 3rd and a 6th to a 5th and swapped 7ths. That's some pretty good extracted extra value. They didn't get any more picks, but they already had 10 picks so from their viewpoint they saw a lot of value to get back into the 3rd round which the Chiefs provided.

But trading to KC? They know what that means for them. Just a few weeks prior when they moved Diggs the rumor was he could go anywhere but KC. So, instead, they allow KC to trade up when KC was heavily linked to the fastest WR in the class. When that speed can unlock this suddenly stagnant KC offense.

When KC is the team that knocks them out nearly every year since Mahomes was drafted.......consequently the last time the Bills traded down with KC.

Speculation seems to be they loaded up some extra picks and traded back one pick to buy themselves 20+ hours to try to trade for an established WR.  If they get that done, it's a pretty good move.