Purify?

Purify learning: Wideout Maurice Purify, a touted junior college transfer, made a 28-yard reception on a third-and-9 play to set up Nebraska’s first touchdown. He didn’t have another pass thrown his way. “He’s new to the offense and still learning it,” quarterback Zac Taylor said. “I’m confident we’ll see a lot of him this season.”

I agree. I think that catch did jump start the passing game. Isnt he listed in the same X-Y-Z spot as Swift? (Second on depth behind him?). I think he is, and could be wrong. It's hard to get Swift out of there for obvious reasons. Need to get his position switched if it's the case.

Gilmore: Purify's role to expand

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE/Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 - 12:08:56 pm CDT

Maurice Purify (16) races away from Louisiana Tech's Sandy Ray Collins (left) and Tony Moss after hauling in a first-quarter pass. (LJS File)

OMAHA — Touted Nebraska wide receiver Maurice Purify caught one pass in last week's game and wasn't heard from again.

His role may expand Saturday against Nicholls State, as the junior college transfer continues to grow in the Huskers’ offense, wide receivers coach Ted Gilmore said Friday.

“He's progressing extremely well,” Gilmore told the Big Red Breakfast crowd at the Holiday Inn Convention Centre. “Each day we put more on Maurice, and we'll get a chance to see a little bit more of him this week. We're better when he's on the field.

“But it is a process for him. He's accepted the challenge and put in the time. He asks a tremendous amount of questions, which is great. We'll see more of him. We really will.”

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Purify created a buzz last month during preseason training camp with his speed, athleticism and sure hands. He put those attributes to use with a 28-yard reception last week that set up Nebraska's first touchdown.

Gilmore said Husker coaches are increasing Purify's role in the offense in increments.

“The thing I didn't want to happen is what happened here a year ago with Frantz Hardy,” said Gilmore, referring to the 2005 transfer from Butler County (Kan.) Community College. “I didn't want to put Maurice in situations he wasn't ready for and have him lose confidence.

“As talented as he is, it's important that he has the confidence to know what he's doing when he gets on the field.”

STOPPING THE DROPS: The 39-year-old Gilmore, in his second season at Nebraska, addressed his wideouts' three dropped passes against Louisiana Tech. He said he shoulders the blame, but added that his players need to make those catches.

“I tell them, ‘If you make the catch, I make the catch, and if you miss the block, I miss the block,’” Gilmore said.

He noted that the wide receivers were open when they made the drops. They'll correct the problem, he said. “They have excellent ball skills and work extremely hard.”

NU'S ‘GIRAFFE’: Gilmore praised his youngest wideouts, noting that he refers to 6-5, 195-pound true freshman Will Henry as his “giraffe.”

"We think he's still growing,” Gilmore said. Henry, of El Paso, Texas, did not appear in last week's game. However, true freshman wideout Menelik Holt, a 6-4, 215-pound athlete from San Diego, saw limited action.

QUOTABLE: Gilmore smiled when asked how quarterback Zac Taylor reacts to dropped passes: “He has a unique way of getting his point across — he just won't throw to you again.”